Did I make the right purchasing choice?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by fa35jsf, Aug 16, 2013.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

So the other day, when my wife and I went to go buy her a Ruger LCP, she decided to let me buy another gun for myself. There was two that I was having a hard time deciding between.

The first was a new Sig P238 that had the high polished, engraved slide and beautiful rosewood grips. It had night sights, came with two magazines and cost $650.

The second was a used Colt Mustang Pockelite. It was stainless steel, had some scratches on it, and had rust and lite pitting on the sights and in the slide grip. It came with one magazine and cost $700.

So which would you have chosen? The new and good looking Sig, or the used and slightly abused but still more on the rare side Colt.

BTW, I went with the Sig and will have it in my hands on Tuesday once it gets release from gun jail (aka waiting period).

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

In my honest opinion.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE[/ame]

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm more of a SS rarer old guy.

Case in point, my SS -S&W 645. (I CC it.)

But I am trying to remember anyone who

actually owned a SIG not liking it. Having

issues with it, breakdowns. NOTHING comes

to mind. They (problems with SIGS) are a rare

duck, indeed.

So it looks like you chose between good and better,

to me...;)

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

You're the only one who can know if you made the right choice. Which felt better in your hand? If it was the Sig, then yes you made the right choice.

5. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I would've taken the Sig. Good job in your choice. Not like my opinion matters or anything. I'm only a professional.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I didn't pass up a very rare gun or something, even though it was a bit damaged.

7. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

P238 hands down, great little shooter, but I'm either one will work out fine for you.

8. Judge

Judge New Member

Sig without any reservations.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a Sig P238 and love it. Good choice.

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Not a big SAO guy, but from what I understand the SIG appears to actually be making a better product than Colt even though it is basically their version of the Colt Mustang.

If it were me I'd go with the SIG. I like old guns and all, but I'd rather have the better gun. P238 owners go nuts over their guns. I may have to rent one just to see what the fuss is about.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Try it, you'll like it.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Tough choice. I think it really comes down to personal preference.

Waiting period? I thought you were in Texas. :confused:

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'd of probably went with the Sig but I'd rather have the 938. 9mm over a 380. But the Sig 238 is still a better choice out of those two pistols in my opinion anyway.

14. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Oh I AM A TEXAN with Texas residency, however the military has since displaced me from the state that I love.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

the sig is the better buy by a long shot. the mustangs arent rare and are back in current production.

a beat up sample like the one you describe is no where near 700 mybe 250-300 tops and thats being generous. 700 is top dollar price for a pristine nib older model that has never seen the light of day since it was boxed at the factory

16. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Thanks JonM.

This gun shop was actually a pawn shop that just deals a lot in guns. He probably had 500+ in his shop. Most of his prices were reasonable, but some things were a little high. When I can finally pick up my guns, I will probably pick up some small pistol primers from him for $3.29 per 100

17. hq357

hq357 New Member

I would have taken the sig as well sexy little guns post a pic! :)

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Okay, just hang on. I will post one when I get the chance.

19. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

Another vote for the Sig - that is what I would have chosen and also that is the same gun I want next. I have been wanting one of those for a while now.

20. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Here is the pics.

Attached Files: