Diamondbacks

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ColdIron44, May 29, 2012.

1. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

Well this 1911 thread hasn't been very active lately, so I figured I'd post a few pictures of the new grips! (Disclaimer: This is a pointless a thread. I'm usually more humble, but heck, sometimes you just need to show off!)

The grips come off the back of a Diamondback Rattlesnake and were made by Mel at Dog Grips. He was very prompt to respond to e-mails, and the grips arrived in the mail in exactly seven days. I have skinned many rattlers in my day and once tried my hand at leather working. I failed miserably, which leaves me balking at the level of craftsmanship Mel provides at such a low cost. I absolutely love the grips, and thoroughly enjoy the compliments they fetch me, but sadly I am taking them off. I lost two of my precious scales after my last range trip, so I will be switching back to hardwood. When 'special occasions' arise, I'll use the snake hide for a good dressin' up!

On a side note, I've included one of those candid still shots (where multiple items are staged in the photo), and the cheesiness of it brings me to tears! Some of y'alls pictures look truly professional, and, if I'm talking to you, I wanted to give praise to your unrecognized photographic skill! It's not that easy!

-Tom

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Coldiron, they may be cheesy, but i like them!:D

bet Cane will like them too.

i like the looks of the snakeskin grips, but am afraid they just wouldn't stand up to the abuse i would give them. very nice looking grips on a good looking pistol. keep up the cheesy photos!:D

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you want snake hide grips, Mel is the guy!

It's where I get mine.

Great lookin' rig ColdIron.

4. FragOutInc

FragOutInc New Member

I have some of these for sale 100 shipped to your door if anyone is interested?

Attached Files:

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You may have better luck if you become a vendor and list them or a supporting member and putting them up in the barter thread.

6. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

What would be the best snake to use that is completely jet black. Preferable something venomous.

The design on the back of a cobra's hood, it wouldnt fit in a set of grips would it? Could you use juvenile snakes, or are they too young to make decent grips? Maybe the design would be small enough to fit on a set of grips if you use young cobras.

Attached Files:

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

A black mamba would be cool

8. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

only a black mamba's mouth is black. they are pretty pale/creamy in color.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Really? Hmmmm, scratch that then. The only black snakes that we have around here is a rat snake

10. Axxe55

hmmm, rat snake grips! MrWray, you may be on to something new and exciting!:D

11. MrWray

MrWray New Member

They may look good :)

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Dang, i should have saved this one :-\
    ForumRunner_20120610_210805.jpg

13. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

So far this is the best I could find. It is a Red Bellied Black Snake. It is found in Australia. It is also venomous. [​IMG]

14. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I think those would look pretty cool. Solid black grips and just a hint of red starting to creep in on the edges.

15. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Who needs ivory when you can make a set of grips from this bad boy?
    [​IMG]

16. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I think that it looks pretty cool, i like the red accents

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Should we ever get hunting licenses for Attorneys, Rat Snake grips would become a MUST HAVE accessory!

Tack

18. Axxe55

Tack i think you may have hit upon a great selling point!:D

19. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Thanks guys, now my girlfriend is going to be angry at me for murdering small animals again.