DI vs. blowback operation for pistol caliber carbines???

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by orangello, Oct 26, 2012.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

OK, so I may not have looked enough, but it seems like the pistol caliber carbines of the AR persuasion were all blowback operated. Why? Would a 10mm not have enough gas to run a DI system? What about a 9mm?

Edumacation please? :confused:

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Its cheaper to make the blow-back actions. And no real down side as it is much simpler and maintenance-free.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

pressures are different. pistol and rifle powders burn different. and yes, simpler in moving parts and manufacturing. making a rifle a blowback is much harder. Pretty sure a DI pistol carbine could be made but gas port locations would probably have to be closer to the chamber, and probably not worth the trouble.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

DI or even piston systems could be esily used on pistol caliber carbines.

But they aren't needed.

Kinda like a turbocharger on a VW beetle. Could be easily done, but why would you want to??

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Everyone is trying to make smaller pistols with a higher capacity. How does DI fit into that? Kel Tec makes a DI pistol, the PLR,16. Try stuffing one of those bad boys in your pants.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

DGI could be easily adapted/engineered for a pistol caliber carbine. However, it probably be more expensive, with no actual advantage. Direct blowback is adequate for the job at hand.
    Though I suppose a gas setup might reduce felt recoil somewhat. Simply because of less mass being bounced around. I know my .45 CX-4 recoils more than I would have expected. Certainly due to the big chunk 'o' steel bouncing back & forth.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Thanks guys; i wondered about cheaper and easier.

I guess when i see an AR-style firearm, i just wonder "why not DI?". I have heard the horror stories about the early M-16's and had buddies lament their purchases of cheapo ammo that didn't run well in their AR's.

8. TheAlmightyBob

TheAlmightyBob New Member

They have made di pistol caliber ar15. 357 sig, 40, 45 and probably a few others. I looked into getting on but funds dropped off before i could. You probably dont see many because of the headache of finding mags/mag blocks/ lowers that will work with non-9mm chamberings.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I want to drool over these; do you know a brandname or website or anything?