Detonics Combat Master

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Transman, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Transman

Transman New Member

I've got the chance to buy this 3" Stainless but don't really know much about it.It was made in Washington,so it's earley,Pachmyer grips.Doesn't look like it's been shot much or abused.One mag,no box.Guy wants 700.00 for it.Does anyone have any experience with these,and does the price seem fair?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats a fair price for a 90% old production combat master. if its a new production thats waaaay above the nib price.

my opinion:

ive always considered detonics to be subpar guns for above par prices. made popular by the old miami vice tv series. there are way better small 45's colt springfield and even the kimber is better. others may have a different opinion. ive never heard anyone saying "omg!! a detonics sweeeet!!" personally i dont see much collecter resale value. but if your a sonny and crockett fan might be a fair deal

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

3. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

The old Detonics guns were great. I was a moderate Detonics fan back in the day.

Owned at least one of each of their early models. Combat Master, Service Master and Score Master.

The Combat Master made short 1911s possible due to the coned barrel.

I wish I still had my MkVI Combat Master.

For $700 it is a decent deal. I got more than that for them before they had a 'collectible appeal' to them. Do you know which model it is? Are the slide flats polished, or matte? Sights? No sights?

Shootist63 likes this.
  4. Transman

Transman New Member

Slide flaasts are polished and it has sights,I think it's cool that it has no grip safety.Heavy little 3" with a wide grip.

Shootist63 likes this.
  5. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

MkVI. Very nice.

Shootist63 likes this.
  6. Shootist63

Shootist63 Member

Greetings, new member here from Kansas.
    I have attached a few photos of my often carried, 35+year companion. I bought it used in a gun store and do not have any info on this customized firearm. It came with a J-Frame S&W sight milled into the top rear with the original site groove having been filled by welding and polishing. As you can see it came with a squared trigger guard which has very nice milled grooves across it for a very nice two-hand hold if that need presents. It also has an extended slide release, and one of the smoothest trigger releases I have ever felt. I made a set of grips, out of an old oak baseboard way back in the late80's or so and shaped them to fit my hand perfectly which is superb when the need for serious social intercourse arises. The grips fit so well that when point shooting the sights are dead on 99% of the time. I carried this gun on and off duty for a number of years, and have carried it concealed all of the time and all years since getting out of Law Enforcement and Prison work. I replaced the small and easily damaged S&W rear sight with a hand filed and fitted rear that is solid and robust, and set it to shoot the carry load I still use today.

If anyone has any info about the year of manufacture, and possible value, I would appreciate it. The serial number is C20976. I have not seen one with this kind of serial number. Most are four digits with no letter, or a CR prefix instead of the C mine carries. I am fairly certain it probably was an MKVI originally.

When I duty carried this, I carried a small AMT .380 stainless behind my belt buckle for back up. I nick-named the Detonics loudmouth and the .380 little mouth.

Thanks, Shootist63
    DSC01038.JPG DSC01036.JPG DSC01049.JPG DSC01040.JPG DSC01039.JPG

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017