Destroyer carbine?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Plinkster, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Hello, I am thinking on getting one but I'm not totaly convinced yet. My main question is, ammo easy to find? Reliable ( I know I'll have to get it check out by a good gunsmith for proper head spacing.)? Uses I don't really know how to word this. Thank you. Please rate my writing.

Sent from my iPad in Iowa using Firearms Talk

2. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, ammo is NOT easy to find. It is 9x23, which is NOT 9mm Parabellum (also called 9mm Luger) There are those that will tell you that you can shoot 9mm Luger or 38 Super ammo. Not wise.

Here is ONE source of 9mm Largo ammo. Note the price, plus shipping.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/pci-9x23mm-largo-124-gr-tmjrn-box-of-50.html

There are certainly other sources- but Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods will not be on the list of sellers.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a line from a good friend that owns 1 with 2 mags, he never fired it. He also has 800 rounds of ammo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. garyhan

garyhan New Member

The most powerful .22 airguns develop around 50 ft lbs of energy, and are very expensive. 9x23 develops 6 to 8 times as much energy. Destroyers have become fairly expensive and finding parts can be difficult. They make a decent small game gun, and are frequently bought with a suppressor in mind.

gary

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I liked mine, it was pretty neat! :)

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Thank you for all replies. So at th shop I found this at he sells it $10 for 25 rnds,and they are the surplus. So how much would you give for one? I think this is 200... I think and as far as I know it's in great condition but I'm not totally convinced cause I might buy something for turkey/deer hunting. Thank you.

10. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

I thought that you were 14 years old.
    How do you buy a long rifle at a gun store at 14?

11. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just like we all did it before we turned 18, dragged our parents along :))

12. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

"Modern" pressures are the same (or lower) than "old" pressures.
    The gun is perfectly safe, if in good working order.

13. JTJ

Good working order on an old gun that was weak from the start. Some early models only had the bolt handle for a lock. No lugs. Later they had 2 lugs and were safer. Just make sure which model it is.
    I would love to have a bolt action or single shot 9X19. I even suggested to H&R and Rossi that they make one. H&R singles were discontinued so no possibility there.

14. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

They don't have to be very strong for a pistol cartridge.
    I think the 1892 lever action carbines are perfect for 9 X 19 or .38 Super.

15. JTJ

Probably would be if anyone made one. It would hold a bunch of 9x19. If anyone has a Savage 24 with the 12 or 20 gauge barrel they can get rifled chamber adapters in several calibers. Makes a great survival gun with the adapters and it already has rifle sights. More calibers are available for 12 than 20.

16. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The Spanish Destroyer Carbine is a fine little carbine. It was made in many calibers. My current Destroyer is a 9MM Luger caliber. The little action is much like the Ruger 77/22 and has a recessed bolt face to hold any pressure developed by handgun ammo. These great little Milsurps. I use one to test 9MM hand loads before using them in my Lugers. They were chambered in .38 ACP for a 130 grs. FMJ running 1,400 fps Plus. The 9X19 carbines fired the 9MM Sub-Gun rounds.
    I might add. If you ever visit Spain you may see hunters using them to hunt Stag. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  17. Plinkster

Plinkster New Member

Amen to that :). Thank you, but like I have said I still might buy a turkey gun. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1460492294.295718.jpg

18. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Member

I have my Destroyer with me on my annual visit to Texas with intentions to reduce the feral hog population ( 39 so far). I have not shot a hog with it but it is certainly up to the task, so far paper, cans and steel plates are the only things to it's credit. The Destroyer is a well made and fun carbine for plinking , mine is 9mm Bergman ( 9mmLargo) as are most, and i shoot lots of 1953 Santa Barbra 9x23 corrosive ammo....the carbine is easy to clean with hot soapy water.
    Put down a 100# hog with the Destroyer.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  19. JTJ

20. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I owned one of these in .22 TCM. I could never get the action to bed properly. The receivers are not threaded but pressed in. I hope some one offers a better .22 TCM rifle.