Desert Lower for Glock 19?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by navysully, Jun 30, 2011.

1. navysully

navysully New Member

Posted in wrong forum... moving. Mods please delete?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. navysully

navysully New Member

Glock 19 Desert Lower?

Hello all. New to the forums here.

I purchased a Glock 19 today. My first post-deployment weapon purchase. (It will be my CCW).

The gun is obviously black. However, I know I have seen desert colored glocks before (and I would love a desert one, as a sort of reminder of my time sent in the sandbox). With that said, I did a ton of research and my research was rather fruitless. Does anyone know where desert lowers may be available online?? I have seen sites such as this: Thunderbeartactical.com - They offer to teflon coat it in desert. However, I am not sure if that will affect my weapon at all??

Anyone know of any other choices if I want to make my new Glock desert?

Thanks all for your help ahead of time!

3. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I'm not sure if you actually want this answered, but might as well. It won't hurt. Firstly, most of the ones you saw were probably the Glock made OD Green ones that just look tan in certain lights. They're actually green. poop green in fact :( You would definitely have it duracoated or Cerakoted by somebody VERY reputable or if you are good enough you can do it. Some members on here have done it themselves and done a very good job. The extra thickness added CAN mess you up, but if you have soembody good do it, you shouldn't have that problem at all. Also, if you do find a place, let me know. I've been wanting the same thing for my G23 for awhile now!

4. Dizzll

Dizzll New Member

What you been eating?

5. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

LOL been eating my veggies :D

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Panda, Dizzll's just mad because you pooped on his Green Goblins! :D:D :p

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Buy a can of Brownells Aluma Hyde 2 epoxy based paint. Detail strip the frame, degrease your frame, mask off the frame rails with masking tape, and paint the frame.

AH2 is super durable and a monkey can apply it.

I use my guns in the dez and they get way too hot when they are black, so all get painted.

This one is Dez Tan, but Coyote is great, too.

[​IMG]

And a couple more that have been painted.

[​IMG]

8. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The top left 1... is that a Mark 23? Either way, I really wanted that color for my Glock lower

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No, it is a USP Tactical. I got rid of it a couple of months ago. Never warmed up to the ergonomics, though it was extremely accurate and 100% reliable. Just not right for me.

10. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Ahh ok, Was close :p Did you paint that one yourself?

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No, the HK actually came with the dez tan frame. They made a run of them with tan frames.

12. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Well damn, Can't catch a break! Thank you for all your help!

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I painted the rest of them, though.

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

that's quite impressive, they all look like professional jobs! (which you may or may not be) What's the process for "painting" them?

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Pretty easy.

I strip the frame. Then mask off the rails with blue tape. Then toss them in the blast cabinet and hit them with coars Aluminum Oxide blasting media to rough up the surface. Then they get a good wipe down with acetone.

Stick a coat hanger through a pin hole, hang em up and paint them with Aluma Hyde 2. As long as the AH2 is applied correctly, and allowed to dry correctly, it is an extremely durable coating.

I only have one that has had some chipping, and the chipping occurred when I loaned it to a student in a two day class. She had a big diamond band on the finger and it eventually ground off a small spot on the frame. No biggie, and easy to fix.

16. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

In my childhood I was mechanically oppressed. I have no idea how to use/acquire a blasting cabinet, aluminum oxide, or anything of that nature :(

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Get some sandpaper and rub the shiny finish off the polymer. Same results.

18. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

hmmm.... ill have to consider it :)

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

It is easy to do. I could have my 11 year old daughter do it with sandpaper. :D

20. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

What grit would you suggest?