Firearms Talk banner

Desert Eagle!

6K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  mkett39 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I'm planning on buying a new pistol very soon and I'm thinking a baby eagle! This will be my concealed carry gun and I'm really battling with what to get! I went to the local gun shop and held a few varieties and I seemed to have fallen in love with the .45 baby eagle I held and looked at! I was just seeing if somebody could give me some pros and cons and offer any suggestions! Maybe I should go in another direction...I don't know. All I know is that gun fit my hand perfect and felt GREAT! Plus, who doesn't want to be able say they have a desert eagle?

#4 ·
A Baby Eagle as a C.C. Weapon?

Got to be honest bro, I would look in alot of other directions.

The Baby Eagle is a better version of the Desert Eagle, but it's still no prize.

Slide mounted safety, heavy as hell, barrel sits a bit high for natural pointing and shooting.

Plus, you are paying for the name....

If you have your heart set on it, there is no telling you different, but I would look at a few other models and see if the Lust doesn't wear off a bit...

JD

#5 ·
There's a big difference between the IMI Baby Eagle, or Jerico and the Desert Eagle. The Baby Eagle is an recoil operated service class pistol, while the Desert Eagle is an huge semi fixed interchangable barrel gas operated "toy". I've found the HUGE grips on the Desert Eagle actually fit my big paws so I can shoot them good. While I CAN see some uses for the Desert Eagle, in that power class, personally I'll stick with a Ruger redhawk revolver. True they don't come chambered in .50AE, I COULD convert a Redhawk to .50AE but my conversion to .454 casull is plenty for me.

#6 ·
The Baby Eagle and more famous big bore Desert Eagle are not in the same ball park, not even the same game really... There's nothing wrong with the Baby Eagle as a carry weapon if it's what works for you.

I have shot the Baby Eagle in .45 some and the quality , fit etc. is good but the gun is nothing I'd lust over. I agree with JD that the slide mounted safety sux.

When all is said and done it's a CZ clone at heart. Not that an existing design can't be improved upon, but the Baby Eagle doesn't do that, in this case.

If it's the ergonomics and caliber that attracted you, you may want to check out the CZ 97B.

#7 ·
OK! Yeah! Right after I posted that I read some other stuff on it and I definitely don't want to go that way. . . Especially after these comments! (MUCH APPRECIATED!) I've got rifles galore and I shoot in large and small cal. rifle competitions just about every weekend, but I turn 21 in about 3 weeks and I'm buying myself a pistol for my B-Day! Like I said, I'm just not really familiar with the pistol world! And I am open to suggestions as to what to go with! (Keep in mind I'm a big guy and I DO have some pretty "large paws" as well!) and I'm not really wanting to spend more than about 500 bucks!

#8 · (Edited)
OK! Yeah! Right after I posted that I read some other stuff on it and I definitely don't want to go that way. . . Especially after these comments! (MUCH APPRECIATED!) I've got rifles galore and I shoot in large and small cal. rifle competitions just about every weekend, but I turn 21 in about 3 weeks and I'm buying myself a pistol for my B-Day! Like I said, I'm just not really familiar with the pistol world! And I am open to suggestions as to what to go with! (Keep in mind I'm a big guy and I DO have some pretty "large paws" as well!) and I'm not really wanting to spend more than about 500 bucks!
I would echo stalkingbear on checking out the XD45 then. I have big paws as well and it is a very natural/comfortable grip for me. They are a very reliable and accurate weapon and are also easy to maintain. They are also fun to shoot (what isn't though,.. depending on your definition of fun;)) and come with a whole mess of accessories to get you going as a first pistol (holster, double mag pouch, silly mag loader thingy, and lock) The accessories are nothing to write home about but they are fine for the range and will get you started anyway.

You could pick up quite a few good used pistols for that money but you are likely to have to spend a few hundred on top of that getting yourself set up with an extra magazine or two, holster, gun rug or some sort of case etc. That is one of the things that makes the XD such a deal dollar-wise, esp as a first pistol. The downside is that the resale will not be that great because they are plentiful and inexpensive new, so when the time comes to drop the big $ on something you really want, you won't have much for trade in or private sale to put toward the new gun, but it'll make a great permanent nightstand companion.:)

#10 ·
I would echo stalkingbear on checking out the XD45 then. I have big paws as well and it is a very natural/comfortable grip for me. They are a very reliable and accurate weapon and are also easy to maintain. They are also fun to shoot (what isn't though,.. depending on your definition of fun;)) and come with a whole mess of accessories to get you going as a first pistol (holster, double mag pouch, silly mag loader thingy, and lock) The accessories are nothing to write home about but they are fine for the range and will get you started anyway.

You could pick up quite a few good used pistols for that money but you are likely to have to spend a few hundred on top of that getting yourself set up with an extra magazine or two, holster, gun rug or some sort of case etc. That is one of the things that makes the XD such a deal dollar-wise, esp as a first pistol. The downside is that the resale will not be that great because they are plentiful and inexpensive new, so when the time comes to drop the big $ on something you really want, you won't have much for trade in or private sale to put toward the new gun, but it'll make a great permanent nightstand companion.:)
Thanks man! I'll definitely check that out!

#11 ·
Thanks man! I'll definitely check that out!
I recently bought an XD45 and really like the "feel" of it. I haven't used a pistol much since early 1990's & those cosisted of a .22 target pistol & a snubby .38 special. So for a pistol-ignorant person like me, the "feel" was very important; it feels comfortable & fairly safe (grip & trigger safeties). I'm still not 100% down with the fact that i couldn't find an all black one, but i didn't look very long, and the green/black color doesn't seem to affect how the target looks after 13 rounds. At least try one. My paws aren't massive, but they aren't stubby either.

#13 ·
I have a Desert Eagle 50 cal and feel hurt by your comments as they just add pain to a poor impluse buy. All the same it is fun to shoot every now and then!

Check out the S&W M&P 45, I have the full size model but heard the compact verson is as sweet.

#14 ·
I have a Desert Eagle 50 cal and feel hurt by your comments as they just add pain to a poor impluse buy. All the same it is fun to shoot every now and then!

Check out the S&W M&P 45, I have the full size model but heard the compact verson is as sweet.
I wouldn't get too hurt over the Desert Eagle 50 purchase. I can't even begin to count the number of times I bought things on impulse. I have a safe loaded with 44 Magnums that were impulse purchases. Some of them haven't even been fired. You already have a DE 50, so enjoy it...

#15 ·
I'll support the XD45 idea. I bought one a few years ago and I absolutely love it. So much so that I bought the sub compact version in a 9mm(I personally hate 40's). It's a very easy to shoot gun and reliable as a rock. Check it out.

#16 ·
I'm not sure why everyone is poo-pooing the Baby Eagle. It's very different from the Dessert Eagle, comes in a polymer frame, full size, semi-compact, & compact models, and the fit & finish seems to be right there. I agree with the OP that it feels WAY comfortable in my hand, and I'm not sure why a slide-mounted safety is bad??? And around here it retails for about $550, I might be able to do a little better.

#17 ·
I'm not sure why everyone is poo-pooing the Baby Eagle. It's very different from the Dessert Eagle, comes in a polymer frame, full size, semi-compact, & compact models, and the fit & finish seems to be right there. I agree with the OP that it feels WAY comfortable in my hand, and I'm not sure why a slide-mounted safety is bad??? And around here it retails for about $550, I might be able to do a little better.
I wonder how the price compares now, nearly three years since the last response to this thread? Maybe you could research this for us...?

#19 ·

I picked up this "Baby" Desert Eagle about 3 years ago and it's been an excellent performer. An all steel frame and slide .45 ACP for $500.00. This is an excellent concealed carry weapon, and is very rugged and dependable. This gun is nothing like the larger, gas operated .50 A.E. behemoth. This pistol has been the choice of the Israeli military for years. It comes with nice 3-Dot sights, and the gun can be field stripped much easier than a 1911, and almost as easily as a Glock. I'm thinking about picking up another one in 9 MM as well.

#20 ·
lonyaeger, not much research to do, it's currently sitting in the dealer's case down the street for $550. Polymer frame, 40 S&W, full-size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.