Desert Eagle

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by squirrelhunter, Feb 2, 2014.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

Has anyone reloaded for the 44 Mag Desert Eagle?? If so,is there anything special to do or look for??

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i do.

dont use lead bullets. even gas checked. make sure the bullets you are using have a copper base. if you clog the gas port it is NOT easy to clean and to get it clean you pretty much have to use mercury which is not really safe to use as a cleaner...

you pretty much have to use 240 grain jacketed bullets. lighter ones dont feed well and lack energy to operate the action. heavier ones are too long to fit in the mag. hp or softpoint it doesnt care.

the DE likes to be loaded hot. use charges in the upper end of the weight scale. they really like H110 powder.

3. squirrelhunter

I always try Hornady XTPs first but 200g is all I can find at the moment. I figured they'd probably have to be loaded on the hot end but wasn't sure. I'll see if I can find some H110 because I don't have any of that. I'll keep looking for 240g bullets,I might luck out somewhere. Thanks.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The best bullets I ever fired from my DE44 were some top-end

Hornady 300 grain.

Heavier jacketed rounds and hot loads fire better from the DE,

without a doubt.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

200 or 240 gr Hornadys. Max load W-296

6. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

My DE has never seen a factory load. I use Alliant 2400 and have loaded both 180gr JHP @ 22gr and 240gr JHP @ 18gr and with either load, no feeding problems. In fact I had it out this weekend.

Attached Files:

7. squirrelhunter

The only powder the LGS had was Alliant 300MP so I figured what they heck,I'll give it a shot :).

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Work it up slowly.

I find the DE44 to be a fantastic pistol. Very accurate,

great power, and, if you do your part, dependable.

With a major rebate on normal recoil from a .44

revolver. IMHO, the only way to get the maximum

potential from the system is by reloading. Try to find

jacketed bullets heavier than 240 grains.

9. squirrelhunter

I've already got some 200 and 240g coming but if I recall I found some Hornady 300g XTPs on 1 site if I can find them again I might get some.