Desert Eagle? would u own one if you had the opportunity?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by adwye7, Sep 23, 2013.

1. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

image-2117536223.jpg

This is my Desert Eagle. :)

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

No. I wouldn't personally.

3. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

Not your taste in handguns?

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

some friends of mine owned a 357 desert eagle and personally the weight and bulkyness didn't justify the use. So for me, nope.

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

qft.........

6. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

I think their more for looks rather than the use themselves, a bit impractical but i still like it. i suppose after having it for a while ive gotten used to the weight even though switching to a glock, beretta or a walther p99 feels alot more comfortable to use

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

For sure they are a crowd gatherer when one is around like on a gun range. But I carry them afield and then they can become more of a burdon than a use. But for just blowing through a box of ammo its probably up there in the fun list. :)

8. seibert1903

seibert1903 New Member

If I had a spare $1500 then sure, I'd get one.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If someonr gave me one, I'd take it. Otherwise it's a pointless gun that is only interesting because it basically has an ar bolt.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I think they are a good gun! But too large and bulky for my liking! I do not think I would get that much enjoyment out of it to just take it on occasion to be Cool and Shoot!
    But to each his own! I am sure some have one and love the piece!:)

11. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

Haha thanks...... and yeah probably more of a movie gun and also if you want to comfortably aim and maintain arm height to shoot a target probably a different kind of handgun is required, unless lets say a huge bear is coming to attack you..... :s aha

12. string1946

string1946 New Member

I have one mainly because several years ago a friend was selling some of his collection and he offered it to me for a price I couldn't turn down. I shot it some when he owned it but I haven't since it came to live here. Its a good conversation piece. People that have only seen them in movies can't wait to hold one but most are not interested in shoot it. Guess they don't know its one of the softest shooting 44 mags around. It is like holding a 2x4 but a lot of the guns I own are just here because they are different. Like someone else said. to each his own.

Attached Files:

13. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I bought one (a .357mag) way back in the '80's....
    It was an impulse/novelty buy (I thought they looked cool after seeing them in the movies). Most impractical pistol that I have ever purchased.
    It was fun to shoot for a while, but that wore off.
    Sold it & don't ever see me buying another.

14. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Not for me. I would trade it in for the G3 I saw on egun. More practical....

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is a funny thing about the size of handguns over time. In the old days the handgunners were in love with the small under powered Colt Navy .36 caliber percussion pistols.
    Colt introduced the .45 caliber SAA revolver. People referred to it as the "Big Iron" that kicked way too much. We see the Peace Maker as a small medium powered handgun. I wonder how shooters will see these big auto pistols in the future? :confused:

16. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never held a desert eagle. Small guns are uncomfortable to me. I might like it.

17. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

They weigh alot, if u can handle the weight.. u should be fine with one, i like it cause it feels and looks awesome

18. AR10

AR10 New Member

Owned a couple over the years. The 357 and 44 are more practical. The 50 is a hoot to shoot. Of the guns come and gone, wish I would have kept the 50. Still have some ammo.

19. adwye7

adwye7 New Member

Yes i agree the 50 is awesome

20. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I've always thought of desert eagles as awesome novelty guns...

Simply for fun at the range.

But I wouldn't mind owning a good plated .50 as a backup to protect myself from bear or something.