Desert eagle .50ae

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by caseytate2007, Sep 4, 2011.

1. caseytate2007

caseytate2007 New Member

What do you guys think this gun is worth?

image-3499713748.jpg

I only shot around 50 rounds at most out of it. I really enjoy it but My little girl is getting bigger and my wife is bitching about it being in the house with the kid and I'm tired of hearing it.

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I don't know what it is worth without some research, but it sounds like you may wish to keep it, and if so, would purchasing a small safe be in order?

You could suggest to your wife that a safe would also be good for protecting important documents or small family heirlooms, etc. Maybe this would help sell the idea.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. cmc0108

cmc0108 New Member

my friend's wife didn't like the idea of him keeping a gun in the house either. My suggestion was to store it disassembled so that if for some reason a child did stumble upon it, it would be harmless.

You should still keep it locked up in a safe(or at least part of it in a safe), that way you dont have to even worry about it.

4. fmj

fmj New Member

Not a huge fan of the DE but i would personly sell the wife and keep the gun! This is how it starts, "Safer for the kids, blah blah blah." next thing you know you have no guns and carrying her purse with your nutsack in it.

I have 3 kids and have never had an issue with the kids and the guns (the wife comes from "guns are evil" background) I have TAUGHT my kids what guns are and what they are used for. Hell, my wife is even a gun nut these days...so much for sneaking away for a quiet day at the range by myself! :rolleyes:;)

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In excellent condition I often see them going for around $1000 or so. Cool gun, even if terribly impractical.

Sell the gun. You should get enough to pick up a more practical home defense pistol, a competent safe, and still have enough to take the wife out for dinner a time or two. Everybody wins.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

kid is more likely to be killed or hurt riding in the wife's car. make her sell her car...

7. Rarity

Rarity New Member

I hate that "Guns are so bad" bull**** excuse. Pisses me off.

Cars kill more idiots than guns kill people. It's one of those, "The men has to carry scenario.. until I adapt to it"

Zoey,

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Besides the car, if you own any baseball bats, kitchen knives, beer bottles, garden shovels, matches, fireplace tools.......get rid of those, too. Oh, yeah, be sure to remove all stairs from the house. The bathtub can be a dangerous place, too.

I am female and I truly felt the way your wife feels. I was very anti gun for almost all my life. Then I met someone who taught me that a gun is a tool. It's the person holding the gun that isn't safe. Then I went shooting and had a great time. And I think I wasn't too bad at it for a beginner.

Then I bought my first gun. I have a granddaughter that spends some time at my house. When I bought my gun, my friend told me not to buy any ammo until he sent me a safe for my gun. I now have two guns and they are in the safe at all times. The only two people who know how to get into that safe is me and my friend who lives in Cali (who I don't talk to anymore). And if I change the pattern, then it would be only me. If I die, a locksmith is going to have to open that safe for my grown children to get possession of those guns.

The key is to keep that gun locked in a gun safe. Not one with a key in which someone may come across that key but one with only a combination lock or a finger pattern type of lock, which is what I have.

Tell your wife you are as interested as she is in keeping your child safe and sound. See if your wife will feel better with that gun in a safe. Lock it up and ask her to try and open it. If she can open it, tell her you'll get rid of the gun. :)

9. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

I changed a couple friends of mine idea about that. My buds wife said (I don't like guns and don't need one) so I ask her how much would you like to get raped? I reminded her that her hubby leaves town for a couple days at a time pretty often and it is an asset that could save you and your family god forbid you have to ever shoot someone but if it has to be done you can't help it. Needless to say they're in the market for a HD weapon now:)

10. fmj

fmj New Member

Sorry ma'am, but i disagree with this completely!

Your house, your ways of doing things....BUT that gun isnt gonna do you a lick of good locked in a safe and a scumbag isnt gonna give you time to unlock that safe to protect yourself.

EDUCATION is the key!! Be they adult or child! (Many will disagree with this) but i leave a gun lay in a certain area for the wife or the kids to get to if needs be. This firearm is one the kids and wife have used and i am fairly confident they are proficient with. I also have my carry gun within arms reach at ALL times (in the shower or on the $hitter)

When it comes to kids and guns, kids are curious. Take that curiosity away and take them shooting, teach them. Tragedies happen when parents want to hide the gun and be "shush shush". The kids WILL find the gun eventually and if not properly educated will either come to grief or cause grief with it.

I was raised in a house full of guns and there was NEVER a lock on the gun cabinet. I was educated and was allowed to take any gun i wanted at anytime to hunt with. (we lived in the country and i was a hardcore hunter...even in my youth) Myself or my friends NEVER even thought of mishandling the guns as we KNEW the consequences. (to us the worst being NEVER being able to hunt again)

EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE!!!
    be they children or antigun adults. In my time i have turned no less than six antigun zealots into freedom loving, firearms enthusiasts simply thru education and the challenge to go to the range with me for more education.:D

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I do share my gun with my granddaughter. I teach her to check it to see if it's empty, I teach her to not ever point it any anyone. If someone broke into my house, I have dogs that would bark as that person even approached. I can open my safe in seconds. It's right next to my bed. I can reach it without even getting out of bed. I'm positive I can reach my gun before a Bad Guy reaches me.

I also never want to have an accident happen and be full of 'what ifs' for the rest of my life. Kids are curious. They think they can handle a situation only to find they can't. They think "Just this once it will be okay. No one will ever know I touched this gun."

You're right. My house, my rules. My gun is locked unless it's with me or else I am home alone to leave it sitting out. Nope, I am not willing to take any chance, any chance at all, with the life of a child. Particularly my grandchild.

I'd be nervous letting my daughter go to your house to play with your child. And if I had a gun out in the open, I would be afraid of the children who came to my house to play. For me, to many variables to when it comes to leaving a loaded gun sitting out.

But that's just me.

12. fmj

fmj New Member

1) never was it sated it was "left out in the open". The statement was "in a certain area"

2) this is where the education of MY children comes into play...should a playmate "happen" upon the loaded firearm...they ( my kids) are EXPECTED to intervene before problems arise. also, most of my kids playmates have been or will be on the range with me for my education class. (more than one child has been thru it...) one is now a member of the Old Guard in the U.S. Army...one when he was 8 gave his grandfather (a responsible gun owner and hunter) pure hell for breaking one of the rules i had taught him. That rule is NEVER assume a gun is unloaded until YOU and YOU PERSONALLY have visually checked the chamber to be sure it IS empty. :D

I understand curiosity and childrens "ways". But i have faith in my kids to do whats right and to understand whats wrong. I am by no means blind but i will, i MUST, have a certain amount of trust in my kids to do/know the difference between right and wrong. The lions share of my firearms are locked in the safe, not away from the kids and wife but from those that would steal from me.

Again, most tragedies arise from a childs natural curiosity. Remove that curiosity by taking them to the range and letting them shoot and educate them and most (unfortunately not all) tragedies will/can be avoided.

With all due respect ma'am...

Who says scumbag is gonna break in during the night whilst your sleeping or in bed?? When it comes to personal protection you DO NOT choose the time, the place, the how, the why...the ONLY choice you have is HOW you protect your life, your family and property!

"What if" scumbag gets to daughter/granddaughter BEFORE you can get to your locked gun and god forbid, kills them. Would you not then be full of "what if"? Half of life is IF! Your on the one side of that if, i'm on the other.

Back to the OP...Sell the wife, keep the gun!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  13. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

I'm kinda on both sides of the fence I keep both mine and my wife's guns loaded in the house(just mags never one in the chamber). And on a shelf in the closet up high but,my three year old boy knows it will be the demise of his hind quarters if he ever goes in our closet. He has toy guns and I don't let him point them at people only animals and dinosaurs. And on his own free will he places his pistols in the holster and stashes them away from other kids. People never let kids or even other friends or adults in your bedroom ever that's where 99% of people stash the iron and should be strictly off limits to everyone but you and the misses:)

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

hmmm lovely choice of words. hahaha

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

I agree very much. except for the safe... the harder it is for you to get to your gun, the harder it is to get to your gun. believe it or not, contrary to what a lot of people believe, children CAN be TAUGHT. Members of this forum know this. My son is not afraid of guns, I let him shoot whenever we can, but he is terrified of what I will do with a belt if he lays a finger on one of mine without my say-so.

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I'm with Trip 100% here.
    When each of my sons was about 2 years old I would leave an unloaded pistol, rifle, and shotgun sitting in the living room and would just stand in the kitchen and watch. And it only took once. The second they laid a finger on one of them, I was on them like white on rice. When they stopped squalling I told them to never touch them without me around. The next day I would let them hold a few of them. The next day I would lay them back out and they wouldn't touch them.
    When I took them out shooting the first time I shook the hell out of a warm can of soda and shot it close range so it would nearly explode and explain that it would do the same to them or anyone else if it was used wrong.
    In the end, it's only as dangerous as you let it be.

That's my rant..... anyway, I'll give you 800 for it. :D

17. caseytate2007

caseytate2007 New Member

If I throw in an iron target and a little over 100 rounds and the 3 extra clips and the bore snake, what would you offer then?

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You did not discuss this prior to marrying/procreating? If she is changing the rules, but your big boy pants on and tell her "No". If you did not have an agreement beforehand, you are on your own. Trade the DE for a pretty little sequined bag for her to carry your nads around in.

I agree that education is the key. My daughters were taught about guns from the time they could walk.

19. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Agreed. ;)

20. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

hhhhhhmmmmmmm..... $840 with the clips only.
    and where you located?