Desert Clean Up

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JTJ, Dec 10, 2013.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Today my wife and I plus about 60 other members of the Jeep club I am a member of went out into the local desert area to remove trash. We hauled out 2 large dumpster loads of mostly shooting trash. We do this once a year. There are some real slobs and jerks out there. We found lots of broken bottles set up on rocks. I wonder if some of these shooters know what those whizzing sounds going by their heads are. Mostly 7.62x39 and some 7.62x54R. Very few 22 lrs or other calibers unless they are picking up their brass. Lots of shotgun shells and broken clays also. Targets of all kinds just abandoned and broken glass littering the whole place. There was some dumped trash but 90+% was shooting debris. Beer bottles seem to be a favorite and there were pieces of lime so they were drinking them on the spot. The BLM is getting fed up and may close the area to shooting because of all the trash. If you shoot on public land, clean it up or you wont have a place to shoot.

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I am sick of all the pigs that shoot on public lands. When I am done shooting you can not tell that I was ever there.

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Even though the amount of land littered by shooters is small compared to over grazing and minerals exploration. The BLM knows blaming shooter and closing millions of acres is safe. Being Anti-Gun is always a safe excuse for unpopular Government theft. :rolleyes:

4. JTJ

Looking at the Jeep in your avatar, they hardly know your there when your there.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Im not gonna lie we shoot can when where camping. We eat the food and then use the cans for target practice usually with 22s. But we clean the cans up and try to get as much 22 brass up as possible. You take out everything you bring in its always been our rule.

It ticks me off that people do this type of thing esp if your near your vehicle how hard would be to just throw your trash in a bag or hell even just chuck it in the back of your truck its just people being lazy and they shouldnt be

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

My bet is those leaving the garbage are the same ones that live in human trash compactors called cities and are used to it. Our State lands are kept pretty clean for the most part and we have thousands of acres. We dont really have a huge influx of outside shooters, thankfully. Its too bad some folks dont get it, mother nature is to be protected not abused...

7. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I saw some pretty scenery yesterday on a local wildlife management area. My brother and I were scouting for some good spots for deer hunting. Thankfully, we did not see any trash. That is such a bummer to go to a beautiful and remote area and have it ruined by trash. If I lived closer, I'd look into joining your jeep club :)

Attached Files:

8. JTJ

I have seen the same thing on the lakes. They hauled it in and now it weighs less but they cant seem to haul it out. Worst case was on Folsom Lake in CA. My wife and I landed our kayaks on a beach for a lunch break. We cleaned up the beach. As we were leaving 3 jet skis 6 people landed. On our way back we saw them leave. The beach was littered with trash and 3 30 packs of beer. They had to be drunk on their collective asses even if it was light beer and there is a deposit on those cans in CA.

9. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I live in pretty much a lush forest , down-right beautiful , whimsical..! When the week Enders come , they take in the wonderful landscape, wildlife and all nature has to offer .

The problem is , they don,t live here , so they got no respect for the natural forests the way we do . It,s not many , but , beer cans and moss just don,t belong together .

I would never dump trash on someone,s property , nor do I want it in my property!

The desert clean-up , great thing you,re doing.! :)

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I donno... I wish more people would start leaving their brass!! :p

I use to find tons of it, now its just steel cases... :(

11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I always carry a rake a shovel and a couple of contractor bags with me when I go out scouting ,hunting ,exploring etc. A few bags of goodwill goes a long way with land owners.... Here in my little corner of our state we have a lot of trash left by the illegals....Metric tons of it...

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

People are complete lazy pigs.

I used to live by a major park, where prison

labor picked up the trash and litter. People would rather have

their children regularly exposed to prison inmates, than

pick up the trash they wantonly strew everywhere.

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

In Wyoming like most Western states we have large areas Of BLM and Mineral trust lands. Wyoming has 60 million acres of Federal lands. There is also millions of acres of State and County Grazing lands and Park lands.
    Most of the damage by citizens is from Off road vehicles not target shooters. You can clean up cans and broken bottles. The damage to slopes and soil are forever.:(

14. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Are there any laws in place that designate trails for ATVs and other off road vehicles? If not, there should be. I was on state land yesterday in my Jeep. Our primitive roads and trails are marked as to whether vehicles are allowed. ATVs are strictly off limits. We do have some pay as you play, privately owned A TV parks.

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

When I used to do some 4 wheeling I would carry a few feed sacks and put any trash in them that I found. Up on the Rubicon there used to be a lot of trash, but people these days are picking up after the slobs. Now if we could just do something about the slobs!

One guy I used to know (total A-Hole) was with a group of more responsible 'wheelers and he decided to take off into a meadow off of the Rubicon. Ranger saw him. Major fine and an appearance in court, but he was also banned from wheeling with that group ever again. Not a good group to get banned from.