Derringers, what one to buy?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by gunnut78, Sep 25, 2012.

1. gunnut78

gunnut78 New Member

I'm looking for a good derringer to buy. I would like it for my job where where if I needed a firearm it would be extremely close quarters. Anyone have any favorites? I'm currently looking at a Bond Arms Cowboy Defender 45LC/410.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do you have experience with derringer's?
    IMO, there are better firearms for close quarters self defense (and not all self defense situations occur within 7 feet).

If you can find a range that would allow you to rent a derringer, try it.

I would rather have a .380 I can control than the limitations of 2 shots from a firearm that wants to hurt my hand.

3. Colby

Colby New Member

Yup. Kinda agree.
    Derringers are kinda cool - from an old west gambling table sort of way. But they do have a hefty recoil and there are only two shots - and that is not a lot in "situation".
    Hope your aim is exquisite in that situation - because you may not be just sitting in a seat across the table from the scoundrel in another seat who just called you a lyin' cheat. Your target may be moving - two shots - better be very close...
    But I agree - I've always had a fascination with them. Just never owned one - except for a cap gun version when I was eleven.

And as with the second poster - I have a number of small carries - 38, 9mm - even bigger (1911) and I have come to the point of always reaching for and carrying the LCP 380. It is so concealable....

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would love to have a 45 colt derringer. But not to carry. It would just be for fun at the range. My cm-9 is bigger than a derringer. But not a lot. And it is a lot easier to hang on to. I am not one of those guys that needs 15 rounds in my carry gun. But 2 shots? I'm not going there.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  5. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i been looking at one chambered in 32 auto mostly because i have a 32auto keltec so i dont haft to buy anouther caliber of ammo also look like a good ballance not to powerfull or under powered too

6. gunnut78

gunnut78 New Member

I appreciate everyone's input here. I have always wanted a 45LC/410 derringer. It'd be an ok backup piece. It's also be fun to play around with.

7. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The Bond Derringers are very nice. My brother had one just like you described. He was not pleased with it. The 410 rounds for a pistol only have 3 buckshot in them. Energy wise the 357 is superior to the 45 LC. If you choose to get one get a model that will shoot 3" 410 shells. My brother wanted his to kill snakes. the 2 1/2" 410 wouldn't get the job done. A hunting round for the 410 is 3 1/2".

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have been looking at a .22mag derringer . Buddies got one and its pretty sweet little shooter

9. Rick1967

I have the NAA mini revolver. It has two cylinders. One is 22lr. The other is 22 mag. It is a five shot. Realy nice gun.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I think thats what his is because I think he said he has shot 22lr thru it

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The thing about the 22wmr is it's loaded with rifle powder. The 22LR will prolly out perform the 22wmr.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

But the magnum will make a nice fireball;)

13. Rick1967

Not even close. The 22 mag does a lot more damage, even out of the short barrel. I have thrown short pieces of 1x2 boards on the ground to practice with. The 22lr puts holes in it. The 22 mag tears it up. You have a much better selection of bullets with a 22 mag. I would prefer to carry my 45 acp. But sometimes that is not possible. The NAA mini is about all I can carry in my gym shorts pocket without it being obvious.

14. TWMIM

TWMIM New Member

The Bond Arms Cowboy Defender is a badazz little gun.

You can buy additional barrels to switch calibers.

The lowly .410 shell has received alot of upgrades since the Taurus Judge came into being. Remington makes a 2 1/2" HD round with 4 pellets.

Winchester PDX does theirs with discs and birdshot, essentially making little Rhodesian Jungle rounds. They sell it in combo packs with .45 longs.

Recoil is there, but I haven't found it to be unmanageable. It's frankly fun.

Primary carry? Maybe not. BUG? In my view, adequate.

Check their website, alot of good stuff there.

15. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Do modern "derringers" still have the problem where if you don't manually engage the safety after loading that when you close the barrel, the hammer would strike the round?

I'd go for the double tap if you can afford it either way.

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Was visiting with another customer in my LGS a while back on the subject of Derringers. He said he'd always wanted one & finally sprung for the money to get one in .45 Colt. Said he shot it ONE time. :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I noticed that CCI is loading short barrel ammo for the 22WMR. If the ammo becomes readily available I might get a NAA black widow

18. Colby

Colby New Member

I've seen that faster burning stuff - 22 Mag - at gun shows. It's around.
    I've got a Ruger 22 single six convertible with a magnum cylinder. Shooting ordinary 22 Mag through it does produce a fireball. This new ammo would help.

19. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

I second the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap, how cool is the titanium model. .45 or 9mm or both with an extra barrel .

If you really want a derringer than you really need to look at the http://heizerfirearms.com/double tap

20. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I've got a Cobra .38spl derringer, easy to control, very reasonable. selling point was at close range, BG gets two holes AND set on fire. SOLD!