Derringers safe to carry?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Seapro210, May 5, 2009.

1. Seapro210

Seapro210 New Member

I agree that a derringer is not the best weapon to carry. I carry a full size XD 45 and have a Ruger LCP as a BUG. I do have a Cobra 38 caliber Derringer in the gun safe, more of a novelty than anything else. However, I read alot of threads on different sites saying they are unsafe to carry. My Cobra has a safety and a half-cock position. What makes these any more unsafe that the standard snubby revolver?

2. Slawth

Slawth New Member

I think they are plenty safe to carry as long as you keep your purse pointed in a safe direction at all times.:D

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Some derringers don't have a safety and without a trigger guard some may feel that a derringer may mistakenly fire in one's pocket, purse, etc. I think they're a great ankle gun with the proper holster. ;)

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Some of them do have a manual safety. If you get one with a safety, it would be a good second / deep undercover gun (ankle holster or pocket carry).

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don't forget my Genuine Turkish Leather PDA Case!

6. WDB

WDB New Member

Safe to carry Yes, good for defense not so much. Difficult to hold, easy to get a finger or other body part in front of. It's a novelty firearm.

7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Do Derringers inherently have no trigger guard?

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Derringers, due to their size make a trigger guard impractical.

9. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

That would be correct... although I have seen one with a guard before.

10. JoeCool

JoeCool New Member

Here's a less typical Derringer that could be used to carry

LM4.jpg

I think it's pretty cool. What do the more experienced folks here think?

Although, according to this page http://www.nrawinningteam.com/sb15/SB15_2.htm, it is a pretty expensive piece

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

A derringer made by Bond Arms, down in Grandbury, TX, has an optional trigger guard.

I fired a derringer-type pistol once that had a manual safety, a springloaded cross bolt device. By pulling back the hammer slightly, the safety was pushed in, impinged by the hammer and held by hammer tension. Cocking the hammer allowed the safety to spring out for firing.

My problem arose when the thumb of my shooting hand depressed the safety in my normal "thumb high" grip. My thumb depressed the safety enough for it to intervene between the frame and falling hammer, causing a misfire. Not the situation you'd want in an emergency back-up pistol.

Bob Wright