Derringer

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cblowe13, Jul 3, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Just a thought on a .500 s&w derringer lol do you think you could keep it in your hand.

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Good lord!:eek:
    I'll bet it's real cool but I don't think I'd want much to do with it.. that be a lot to hold on to.;)

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Would the tip of the cartridge be sticking out the end of the barrel? That would be more than a handful.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Deringers are about as useful as Model A Fords. Nostalgic? Yes. Practical? No. They are best relegated to novelty status.

A Derringer in .500 S&W Is like a Model A with a Keith Black Hemi. WHY???

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Could you "keep it in your hand?"

Should not be a problem.

Now, the surgery to REMOVE it from your hand- THAT is going to be a problem.....

:rolleyes:

6. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

This hit me as funny but true. I will admit to owning a Derringer in 38 spl. I bought it off an old lady that really wasn't all there mostly because I was afraid she would try to use it when in one of her not all there moments and hurt herself.
    It's sat in a lock box for a while. I get it out to clean it and put it back in it's box. I've never tried to shoot it. It looks to work fine though. It's a FIE, still have the cardboard box it come new in. I think I might still have the manual too....Someplace. I'd sell it but I just never seen the need. It takes up next to no room so I kind of forget about it until it's get out the guns to clean them tie and I"ll clean and oil it and back into the box.

I've just not seen a time when I thought to myself man..I really want to carry that thing. I guess it's better than a rock. A lot of people seem to like them though. They must..People are still making them and they are getting bought.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I know somebody made one in 45-70. I have seen you-tube videos of people shooting them. Ridiculous...that is all I can say about it. I could see a use for a little one in 22lr maybe for survival or something. My neighbor has one in 45 colt/410. I don't know why.

8. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Didn't think about that. I can't imagine. Just things I think of working third

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

The question is why not?

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

To each his own. Thee are people who jsut do stuff "because". I've seen blown alcohol Pintos, just because. I remember a Boss 302 powered 4x4 with an MG body on it, just because.

11. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Lmmfao...! Or if you couldn't hold it the surgery to remove it from your face could be an issue..

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I've shot the Bond Arms with full tilt .45 LC and 3" 410 loads without a problem. These would seem to be on the top end of self defense loads, and the .500 S&W was made for taking North American and other big game, so there really is no point to load it in a derringer platform. Almost all of the powder would burn outside of the gun, seriously handicapping the round and actually reducing the felt recoil, unless the barrel was 4-5", which defeats the purpose of a derringer platform.

13. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Lmao you and your facts :p

14. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Always has to be someone to ruin the fun

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Those Alaskan snubbys are pretty short and thy have one in 500 Smith. It's the shortest bbl I have ever shot in that round and I didn't want too much to do with it after a couple rounds.

16. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry, so much misinformation floats around gun forums that I feel duty bound to insert facts when I can keep anymore false tales from being started! Continue with your speculation - I'll shut up! :p

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

My wife has 2! I'm working hard to get her into something else for an edc...But she has an American Arms in .32acp and a Bond Arms in .22Mag...she is actually Ok with the .22 and so-so with the .32...:confused:

18. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What's the accuracy like on a derringer

19. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

how accurate?

With the .22 mag 3" it gets nice groups at 5 Yds...about 3 inches...with the 2" .32Acp it's just "point it at the target and hope it hits..plus we regularly have to pull spent casings with the pliers on my mutli-tool...

20. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Hey tekgreg you seem knowledgeable so I have a question why does a snubby .357 feel less recoil to me rather than a 6" barrel .357 is it because what you were saying about the powder or am I just crazy?