Derringer

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Gojubrian, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Anyone here carry a Derringer? Seems to me they are very concealable,light and inexpensive.

The downside is you only get two shots, but you could carry a few extra rounds. The chances are of two shots doesn't get you out of it, ten shots won't either.

What are good Derringer brands?

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I carry a NAA .22 Magnum derringer(along with a CZ75B .40 S&W). It isn't much for stopping power, but at least I get 5 shots. I don't even notice it in my pocket...

http://www.naaminis.com/magnum.html

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Neat little guns on there!

4. supergus

supergus New Member

American Derringer makes a double barrel (or single) chambered in .45-70:eek:
    if that won't do it, nothing will!

5. Mark F

I couldn't find a 45-70 listed anywhere. Did you mean 45/410? There is a HUGE difference! There is no way you could hold on to a 45-70 fired in a derringer... these are MASSIVE bullets.

Attached Files:

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

He must mean the .45/410. like you said there's just no way you could fire a 45-70 from a derringer.

Is the .22 magnum a single action?

7. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

I Carry a black widow on my ankle as a last resort weapon... Light, reliable and fun to shoot..

8. Mark F

I have the NAA 5-shot 22 Magnum as my boot gun. It is a lot of fun to shoot! A box of 50 rounds for 10.00 and go play...

Attached Files:

9. Mark F

Yes it is, but it's real easy to cock! I can usually get 5 shots on a target in about 2.5 seconds.

10. Mark F

Some ammo choices for your 22 Mag Derringer... The second from the right is the most powerful. That's a PMC Predator, and it's half-again more potent than the others. The snake-shot on the left is the least potent. The second from the left is a polymer tipped FEDERAL V-MAX, it's the FASTEST of them all, but it's only a 30 Grain bullet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  11. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I have the naa 22 revolver in 22lr,very good quality pistol and surprisingly accurate for a inch and a quarter barrel. I would prefer it in 22 magnum but the price I got it for was too good to turn down.

12. calvinbr

calvinbr New Member

Supergus is correct

There is an American derringer it is a Model #1 in 45-70 single shot. Model # M14570SST. The cost is $670.00. Here is the link to it.

http://www.amderringer.com/pix/amderrprice.pdf

13. Mark F

There is a reason why it's a SINGLE SHOT... You fire it once, and never fire it again.

14. supergus

supergus New Member

Here's the price list that shows the double barrel under the Model 4.
    Price List

15. divinginn

divinginn New Member

That might be one I would be afraid to shoot,I have one in 410 that made me very nervous the first shot or two,was not too bad to shoot but I was used to 41 and 44 mags. I just cannot believe they built a 45-70 derringer,whats next 300 mag?

16. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

I wanted a derringer for my wife to carry, a .22. The problem with derringers and pistols with no trigger guard is that the trigger pull is very hard. My wife could barely pull the trigger on the derringer she was handling.

17. Mark F

No prices anymore... You have to call.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There is an out-of-print book called Firearms Curiosa- more strange real firearms between two covers than any book I have ever seen. The last few pages are pure fantasy- joke ads done for Colt years ago- including the Colt all metal derringer in .600 Nitro Express! (also available in 1 inch Spanish Gatling, and .22 Velo Dog) Sorry, but a 45-70 derringer would be about as useful.....

19. Mark F

I have shot some ridiculuos weapons in my lifetime, and I can't fathom shooting a 45-70 Government in a derringer platform. I fired a two shot 44 Special Derringer and it really sucked. However, the 45LC/410 isn't too bad. All in all, I really prefer my NAA 5 shot .22 Magnum as derringers go.

20. Mark F

I'm going out on a limb here... Any sear on any pistol can be re-worked for a lighter pull. But in a derringer platform, I wouldn't recommend it. The high pull rate on your derringer is there for a REASON! It forces the shooter to grip the derringer tight in your hand, in order to fire it. I lowered the pull rate on my NAA .22 Magnum and I didn't like it, as it fired too easy and I didn't grip it as strong as I should have. The pistol tends to roll upward in to the web of your hand if you don't grip it tight enough.

So, get used to a heavy pull. Have your wife dry-fire it over and over again. You'll be surprized how quickly she will get accustomed to it.