Deployment knife

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by jcooley6960, Dec 15, 2013.

1. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

Hello everyone I'm leaving on my first deployment in April and I was wanting to get a knife and neck knife but Im not big into knives so I was wanting to get some suggestions can someone send me some pics or link I'm wanting to keep it under $150 thanks for any help

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Few of my friends carried SOG brand. Not sure what models

3. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Neck knife aint gonna do you any good under body armor I had a gerber lmf and a multi tool on my vest and on my persons at all times I had another gerber multi tool a gerber evo in my back left pocket and a crkt m-16 knife in my front ill post some pics for you later

4. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Heres the pics

2013-12-15-17-27-45-778790623.jpeg

images.jpeg

2013-12-15-17-27-29--477506550.jpeg

5. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

Hey I like the second knife but I can't tell what it us can you sen me some info

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Columbia River Knife and Tool M16 with Tanto blade in the second pic, Gerber in first pic.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ugh. Gonna tell you something. I'm the first from my unit since Vietnam to use a knife on someone in combat, and it wasn't any super cool Rambo **** either . it was "stick and hold" while someone else put a rifle to his head and popped one off, painting my face with liquefied brain housing group. To my knowledge, I'm the last one since.

My issued bayonet would have sufficed fine, but I was carrying my dad's hand me down hunting knife, a Buck 127. It now resides in my nightstand.

A knife is going to be used more than anything, to open MREs. For this, I would choose my recent carry choice: Gerber min paraframe. I'm currently carrying the Kershaw Crown, because it's nice, and it cost me $6 and change after tax. Save your money on the cool, high speed, low drag fobbit gear, and just stick to basic stuff.

My leatherman wave was the most used of ANYTHING I've ever carried in my life, especially overseas. Once upon a time my feet got tangled in the wires to an IED. You know what you do when that happens? Forget the "bomb squad" crap of cutting this wire or that wire, little beads of sweat dripping down your nose. You scream, "IED!" as LOUD AS YOU MOTHER****ING CAN and you start cutting. Cut ANY ****ing thing. You know what cuts wire best? Mother****ing wire cutters.

So. Stick to just a simple pocket knife, and/or a quality multitool. This is also why I laugh at tacticool knives now. But really? You're probably more likely to use one in self defense as a civilian.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. jcooley6960

jcooley6960 New Member

Hey trip I don't plan on stabbing my way out if anything Im an engineer, I'm not looking for something thin and can hold an edge for cutting rope ect. I have a gerber multi tool but the blade sucks...

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Then any knife mentioned so far will suffice fine. I personally don't care for CRKT, I've had bad luck with breakage. I normally don't care for Kershaw either, but their Chinese offering residing in my pocket has been the best of theirs for me so far. And, it's purdy, and cheap.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Kershaw Crown. Can be found at walmart and many other outdoor stores.

ForumRunner_20131215_181239.jpg

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Marbles makes a utility knife that is really handy. It has a can/bottle opener, screwdriver and a usable awl.

Uncle sam should have issued a fighting knife to you. If you want a back up fighting knife that is light and capable a Schrade Sharp Finger is hard to beat. Midway usually has the best deal on Schrade knives. Many other knife makers have a great drop point skinning knife.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231102198292?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

If just cutting rope and every day usage is why you want a knife. Everyone has copied it but they can't equal it, the Buck 110. Put a thumb stud on the 110. You can find thumb studs on ebay. Midway should have the best deal on a Buck 110. Get one with a leather sheath. Buck knives are hollow ground and heat treated. They come out of the box as sharp as a razor. All you need is a chefs steel , a ceramic rod or even a ceramc coffee cup to keep a Buck knife razor sharp. Buck knives also have a forever warranty. I found an old buck in a toolbox with all the wood beat off it. It was obvious the knife had been beat with a hammer. Buck sent a new 110 to my doorstep.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  12. Werminator

Werminator Member

Kershaw skyline for utility. Light thin and great at holding an edge... not a really appealing look but I have found that it is easily my most used blade. I love my Ontario Rat 1 if you want something a little bigger. Cold steel voyagers have also served me very well in camping rafting and basically beating them around.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

14. Werminator

Werminator Member

Okc ranger shiv... good shape... very versatile.

15. Werminator

Werminator Member

I agree that a neck knife is not likely a very useful item. More difficult to get to and more in the way. I would recommend a pocket knife with a solid retaining clip. Also, the rope or chain on a neck knife is probably less comfortable than a clip on your pocket.

16. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

shoot I carried a russian bayonet m68 SVD I found at Al Taji it was a good knife and held a really good edge and strapped to my body armor nicely. Now my friend who did a few more tours than me told me about grayman knives and how a lot of guys are getting them now he said they used one to cut a guy out of a crushed up vehicle and it sliced thru metal like butter. They are a lil expensive but i believe the guy does discount for military and leos. http://www.graymanknives.com/knivesa.html

17. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

My best friend is in the the 2nd Ranger Battalion. After he graduated Ranger school i gave him an older Gerber Mark 2 that I found a few years before at a vet's garage sale. He still carries it but he says he uses a Leatherman and a Benchmade folder more than anything.

18. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

My niece who was deployed in Afghanistan, liked to have a neck knife when heading to the showers when not in the field, some extra security since she has little trust for the Afghan Army,,, I would stick with your issue fighting knife and for chores, such as cutting rope, I'd go with a Spyderco Endura or something of that nature. Mine cuts rope very well and is very good for many tasks one would need in the field, they are light but have very aggressive serrations that work very well and sharpen easily, provided you get some of their accessories that make it much easier than some other products,, stay safe and watch your back.

19. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

For a fixed blade, I would recommend an ESEE. Best knives you can get for all round use and bushcraft/survival. For a pocket knife, I would recommend a Benchmade or a Spyderco. A Leatherman is also an essential tool and I would consider it to be the bare minimum if you only want one knife/tool.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Did I see you mention your a Combat eng.? Ask the demo man what his Favorite knife is. I got into Knives in the late 80's after active duty days. I met a friend in the reserves who's goal was to buy a knife and break it, and the first one he couldn't break would be the last one he bought. When I got called up for "Just Cause" he was still trying.
    I have Both the seal and seal pup from SOG, a few older Gerbers and Gerber copies. I also have a few Ka-Bar style ones, one 7" std. And one 5" survival with the compass in the grip base plus other items and it's own stone. I love the older stuff but don't discount some of the newer names. I carry Two Kershaw's almost daily, the Blur folder and the Hunter II on my belt. I also love my S&W HRT combat dagger...you don't kneed a "Neck Knife", get a boot knife to back up your main blade, which should be a Combat utility knife. Just the Old Chief's opinion....