Denied!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shooter, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

So FFL finally gets back in town and go to secure my new rifle. Background check comes back "Hold". So now he has to wait three days to hear back and then use his discretion if they don't.

Is this right?

I have 0 marks on my record so I have no idea why I would be flagged. I really can't think of a single reason at all, nothing. He said I would have no idea of finding out what is causing it either, true?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

"They" have probably seen those "radical" posts of yours.
    yes i'm kidding

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hey Boss - Did you include your Soc on your application??

Alot of times, if the Soc isn't included, we get the "HOLD" and three day wait if someone has a common name.

Rarely do we get a hold if the Soc is included, but it did happen to me once. They never called back and I just waited the three days and got the pistol anyways.

I am betting they are backlogged, and probably won't call back with either an approval or denial in the next three. Your gunshop should have their discretion to sell it to you after the three day "hold" expires....

JD

4. Shooter

I had this sneaking suspicion it had to do with me not listing my SSN. I left that blank as always.

I sent an e-mail to the FBI Appeals office with my NTN to double check as well.

Hate that feeling of thinking there is some black mark on my secret file.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah, with no SSN listed, it's probably just a hold up out of their end.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out there is a mandatory unofficial "no SSN - three day wait" policy with all the weapon sales that have been going on.

I would say you are fine, but fell into the category of no immediate green flag, so they probably will do a basic check, find out you aren't on the Terror Watch list and forget to call the guy back with an okay to proceed.

I am betting you are fine....

JD

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Diddo on the Soc, it's the typical pass the buck gubmint ploy. Say hold and nothing else. This pushes the decision locally. It's easier and faster to say hold and if 1% of those on hold do not buy, its turns into yet another lib gun control scheme!

7. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

Or just put your SSN on the application.

Are you afraid the government will know your SSN? Or is it more the local gun shop having too much info?

8. LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers New Member

Sometimes I get a hold, sometimes I don't. Honestly, I think it just depends on how far the person on the line decides to look into the possible flag.

I was freakin' out about it the first time I got a hold, too. Went so far as to have a friend who works for local LE nonchalantly run me for warrants. :eek:

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I get held every time WITH MY SCOCIAL on the form.

Mine and another guys social is 1 number different he has a 5 i have a 6 and the rest are EXACTLY the same. He deserted from the navy during the gulf war.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, the "terror watch list" got their guns (for the most part): People on terrorist watch list allowed to buy guns - CNN.com :rolleyes:
    Maybe you should start chanting & carrying a copy of some religious text other than the bible.

11. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Thats the cost of being a terrorist. :D

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Uber, your pirate looks like Jamie Fox. [​IMG]

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

The possibility of 'licence-denial' is something that's been weighing on my mind lately.

21 years ago I had reason to be treated for a "nervous episode" after the death of someone very dear to me, ie I just coped pretty badly & had few coping skills at that time cos I was fairly young.

Only problem with that is, on the Firearms Licence application it does state *ever* in regard to those sorts of issues....whereas you can have criminal convictions for Violence, Sexual offences, Apprehended Violence orders, Terrorism (wtf?!), Robbery, Fraud but as long as the conviction was 10+ years ago, you're sweet to be granted a Licence!

But someone like me...who has never had any run-ins with the law (not even a damn traffic ticket lol) ....

Well who knows? I'm just gonna have to take my chances. Have a GP's letter to confirm i'm not gonna go nuts or anything...it *was* half my lifetime ago etc etc. Didn't really feel like lying to the Police Dept either lol

It's due to this 1996-Martin-Bryant-inspired Legislation which has already pissed off so many Australian shooters. And made f*ck-all difference to gun crime :rolleyes:

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Random denial... Just like our "supper effecient" security at the airport!

And the stupidity drum beats on...

15. Shooter

FYI for anyone who was denied all you do is send an e-mail to the FBI with your NTN and within just a few days you will get a letter telling you the details of your HOLD/DENIAL. Pretty efficient.

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

So what was it? Why were you denied?