deleted

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Burt Gummer, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Colt454

Colt454 Member

deleted

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Soon as they quit slamming our President. If they stick to the subject of "Firearms Talk" all should be GOOD, right? And, .........they ain't no cuisines of mine. :)

Rifling82 likes this.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Anything with a jacket, can have that jacket separate.

When I worked for Idaho Fish and Game, I used a metal detector to help the LEOs find a bullet in a poached elk. I found the lead well expanded in the right front quarter. The jacket had seperated when the bullet hit bone. Went up the artery and into the heart, and done serious damage to the valve.

4. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually, if you do some research you will find one of the most effective SD loads in the 38 snubby was (and still is);) the 158 gr SWC-HP especially when loaded to +p velocities! I just picked up 500 rds of that from Zero Bullets and I am going back to that as my 'carry' load in my 'little' guns.:)

5. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Too funny.... yesterday at the range I had a long chat with a former Detroit LEO. Both of his shootings were while off duty with his 38 snubby, and both resulted in killing his attacker. He loves his little 38 snubby.

SGWGunsmith, primer1 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

In NJ, that’s not the worst of it. To purchase pistol ammo, you have to show your permit-to-purchase card, for a handgun in that caliber. That’s why, every time I visit the in-laws, I buy all the .30 carbine on the shelf because it’s considered rifle ammo. Anybody I know up there with an M-1 has got it buried deep. Keeps my OM Blackhawk well fed.

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. SGWGunsmith

Many moons ago I worked with a PD doing upgrades and accuracy testing on Smith & Wesson issued revolvers that were appropo during that time. Many of those who were actually involved with miscreants down in the southeastern area of Wisconsin had similar experiences like the "real" officer whom you chatted with, and I agree with his summation on real encounters, which seem to conflict with others that post around here. I even tested several Colt Detective and Smith & Wesson Chief Specials in my Ransom Rest for accuracy, just to prove they could hit where aimed at close range, or even shorter. Found out that 158 grain bullets did real well from a 2½ and 3 inch barreled revolvers. Plus P velocities in a short barrel will never realize the best velocity from a 6½ inch barrel. Hmmmm!

Rifling82, EclecticShooter and JimRau like this.
  8. SGWGunsmith

Back in the day, a fella named Lee Jurras, turned the whole world of handgun ammunition on it's head. Lee developed a brand of handgun ammunition called "Super Vel". At first he got his butt in some hot water 'cause many of the small frame and imported revolvers could not take these rounds and were ruined by attempts to use 'em.
    My favorites back then involved the .38 Special 110 & 125 grain loads and his .45 ACP offering called the "flying ashtray" because of the huge hollow point design. Practically all of the Super Vel ammunition would shed jackets during penetration as the bullet practically disintegrated half way through sending bullet pieces all around the inside of a torso.
    I tested quite a bit of that ammunition, for my own evaluation for personal use, as I carried back in the 70's when CCW wasn't the thing to do.
    At that point in time I carried a Smith & Wesson Model 66 stainless with 2½ inch barrel and 6 rounds of .38 Special 110 grain HP's:
    [​IMG]

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Still have a half a box of .357 Super Vel 125 bullets in my reloading supplies.

10. SGWGunsmith

I think that is some of the LOUDEST ammunition I've ever fired. Can't even imagine shooting that stuff in a house.

Rifling82 and EclecticShooter like this.
  11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

As can understand why you might of missed it, but the forum has other forums not just firearms including politics etc. Maybe you should take it up with the forum owners what you think should be allowed to be discussed and by who. :rolleyes: As for the UK expanding ammo is legal.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  12. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure a guy has purchased the Super-Vel name and intends to revive the brand. I forget where I read that.

SRK97 and Rifling82 like this.
  13. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

14. JimRau

AH!! The 66 2 1/2 inch!!!:cool: That was one of my favorite off duty guns!:) And the 'flying ash tray', the 200 gr JHP's for the 45. I hand loaded them and carried them on my Series 70 Colt while in TEU (SWAT)!:cool: Memories!:)

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. SGWGunsmith

How many of you shooters remember Winchester's "Black Talon" cartridges? A whole lot of controversy was involved with that name. I used to stock that ammunition in the various handgun calibers at that time, including .44 Magnum. I gotta tell you all about a phone call I received from an older sounding gentleman who asked, "if I had any of that "Black Felon" ammunition in stock. Seriously, I had to cover the mouthpiece on the phone until I recovered. Then I asked, "Don't you mean the Winchester Black Talon variety?" Nope he says, "I want that Black Felon stuff". "Sorry sir, I'm fresh out of that brand and don't expect any more in soon". Whew!

SRK97, EclecticShooter and Rifling82 like this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I still have a few rounds of that "black felon" around here somewhere. When Winchester dropped that name, they started selling SXT. Joke was that stood for Same eXact Thing.

SRK97, jackrich3, SGWGunsmith and 2 others like this.
  17. JimRau

Roger that!!!;) One of our best kept secrets.:) My carry ammo is the Win 127 +p+!:cool:

18. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

I suspect you mean " Golden Saber " . " Gold Dot " is a CCI name .

19. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

It isn't word-for-word but the '68 Act is obviously copied from the NAZI law .

JimRau and jackrich3 like this.
  20. SGWGunsmith

That's true! Winchester dropped the Black Talon name voluntarily and went to the SXT monicker, only this time the ammunition is not all black, bullet and case.
    Liberals sure have an extreme repugnance toward "black" items like AR's and ammunition. o_O
    Ever shoot any of the Remington Golden Sabre rounds? Look at the bullet in those and the jacket acts like a spinning meat cutting machine.

JimRau likes this.