Del ton DTI 15 - anyone with longterm experience

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by connectegr, May 7, 2012.

1. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I have been wanting an AR15 for years and on a salesman's recommendation I picked-up a Del ton a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed 500 flawless rounds, and great groupings at 50 yards (my indoor range limit). I have found limited information on online, which have been predominantly positive. The price was a much less than I had planned to spend and many of my cosmetic preferences were included. I keep waiting for the punchline. I typically get what I pay for. What am I missing or what should I be looking for?

2. Fixer

Fixer New Member

The low price was due to several factors that you probably will never miss. Things like thickness of the Anodizing, sanding off the flashing on the forging, standard 4140CM with no chrome lining, or thin chrome lining. Non-MP tested parts. Non-shot peened parts.

Just remember all rilfes break at some point. Be ready for it. Buy a Field repair kit (has some pins and the hammer / trigger springs) or an extra Lower parts Kit and an extra Bolt.

DTi makes a good solid shooter.

Last edited: May 7, 2012

3. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Chrome moly vanadium heavy barrel, according to the information I have. Is this good or bad?

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's all right, depends on what YOU want. CMV won't last as long as chrome lined but can be more accurate, again, depends on what you want and the conditions you'll place the rifle in. CL usually adds $50+ to CMV and it's something I always get.

For your first question Fixer pretty much got that covered for you. DTI usually is a decent starter AR. If (no, WHEN) you buy a second you may want to look at other brands. My first upper receiver was ArmaLite which was the best I could find during the rush on ARs in 2008/9. It's ok like DTI but today I wouldn't buy that brand.

5. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

All true but today with stripped lowers and other parts coming in and out of stock faster than you can get your order placed I would just be happy to grab what I could and sort them all out after the smoke clears.

By the way congrats on your new AR , Have fun with it !!!!!!

6. Fixer

Fixer New Member

CMV is a type of barrel steel. They add 10% more carbon to the mix and create a steel base of 4150 CM (CM= Chrome moly). 4140 CM is the standard weapons grade steel. They then also mix in Vanadium to create a CMV mix. This was done to extend the life of the barrel for abusive enviroments. There is a draw back to this, but unless you are going to be buying a select fire (full auto) you don't need to worry about it.

4150CMV is no better or worse the 4140CM, 4150CM, 416SS or even FNH M249 since you are just using it on a semiauto civy carbine. Only in your wildest dreams will you see a problem with the DTi 4150CMV barrel.

7. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Thanks for the comments. Del ton was not on the radar as I did my research. It is not in my nature to purchase something then do the research. The more I learn, the more I appreciate the guidance of the salesman. Got a great buy, which means I can afford to shoot more.

8. Fixer

Fixer New Member

No Problem man. Pick yourself up a Ceiner, Spikes or CMMG .22lr conversion system so you can shoot your AR15 even cheaper. Its the best .22lr rifle you can buy for $150.

9. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I have now shot 800 flawless rounds. Bench rest accuracy is excellent. Standing at 15-25 yards with RDS, has been equally perfect. I have shot Rock River and Colt AR's and the differences are indistinguishable. There are obvious expenses for paint job, accessory rails, optics, etc. Mine came with all Magpul accessories. These would have cost extra on the Colt, S&W, and Sig that were originally at the top of my list.

What am I missing, compared to the expensive AR's on the wall at my gun store? I am not talking about the specialized weapons, but compared to other 16" milspec AR's. At half the money I am surprised that DTI is not recommended more on these sites.

Why doesn't Del ton (DTI) get more credit?

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

They just don't have the reputation for being as reliable as others that cost slightly more, during regular use.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you read the AR section here a lot, delton is often recommended as a good middle of the road budget concious option.

12. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Well I think your false statement is part of the problem. You are passing on a myth that hurts them.

DTi firearms are 100% great NORMAL and Regular use firearms.

Nothing any manufacture sells is as reliable as people think. All manufacturers sell defective items. I have read, and replied to dozens of threads about BCM failures, Colt failures. I myself had a crappy Colt.

DTi manufacturers a NORMAL USE firearm. Its the same as 99% of the firearms world wide.

People like to say they will not survive a carbine course...thats not REGULAR USE, OR NORMAL USE.

My Colt M4 didnt survive a carbine course...no one said a thing.

I know for a fact most HKs and Sigs will NOT survive a carbine course, that doesnt make them bad guns. They are some of the best firearms in the market place.

Rifles fail on carbine courses everyday...its only the off-name brands that attract attention. For all high end brands, it just a sign the gun was due for maintenance.

Will a higher end gun have a better chance to survive a Carbine Course...sure will. That isnt a test of quality or normal use of a firearm.

There is no freaking way my Audi would survive a 500 mile race..that doesnt mean it couldnt be configured to do so, nor does it mean its not a great daily driver car.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I wouldn't call it a myth. There are certain brands that may be suitable for casual use but are trouble prone when driven hard. Each of us has to decide what is good enough. At the $600 price point you expect some corners cut. But when you get to the $800 price point it makes sense to compare the brands carefully since you're getting in the ballpark of hard use ARs. Again it's up to each buyer how much research to put into the purchase.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What is normal use? In normal use a case of ammunition a year from a bench or a case of ammunition over 2 days kicking up dirt. How about a couple hours of heart pounding excitement while rounds crack and RPGs fly over your head? The way I see it, it's the later. Was the weapon system not designed as a weapon of war? If a wheel was designed to roll wouldn't rolling be it's norm?

A carbine course IMO is just an extension of the training matrix. As a civilian its the only training available for a carbine. There's an old saying, if it ain't raining it ain't training. Basically the more miserable the training the easier the fight will be. It's true in my experience.

During the class I took recently there were 2 problems other than my castle nut starting to back off. Those 2 problems were w/ a cheap optic that lost zero and fought the rezero and a Stag. The Stag didn't bother the flow of the class all that much but the optic was an interruption for sure. Would that optic have failed under light use? Probably not. Had my non staked castle nut presented a problem at the range the night before when I was confirming zero? No. But guess what, under conditions in which the platform was designed to operate they failed.

People forget what the platform was designed to do. To many people are letting manufacturers like DPMS and Olympic Arms slide by because "normal use" has become rarely used.

I shoot and attend all the classes and 3gun competitions finances will allow. I had to skip a class this weekend. Next weekend I'll be rushing home from one to grab my wife and suitcase to board a flight. I think back to the amount of rounds I used to send downrange and regret not taking advantage of it. This year is going to be the year of the class for me. The funny thing is I'm still not pushing what the weapon was designed to do.

My point: normal use has become something it is not. Largely due to the lower standards adopted by the manufacturer and allowed by the consumer.

If it fits your use then it's perfect for you. But with there being such a small gap in price as compared to the gap in quality why not step up to something like a BCM or Colt.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

normal use generally means what the majority of gun buyers use their guns for. unfortunately most of us, me included dont have the time o go to carbine classes as much as i would like to attend a shooting curse and just have fun i dont. so its range time.

for most buyers its a box or two every few weeks at best. thats all a lot of folks can afford.

there IS a market for rifles that look like m16's and to feed the majority buyers you get guns like dpms psa S&W olympic etc. to hit that price point corners must be cut from the general milspec standard.

my wife is just such a shooter. she will never put any real round count on her dpms so for her it will run well. i may get her an aimpoint or acog not sure which but i think aimpoint would suit her better since her speed is "put the dot centermass pull the trigger". if you told her to go take a carbine class she would prolly tell you to go do something rude to yourself heh.

i just didnt need to spend 1100$ for an ar15 she would shoot a few times a year at best.

if there wasnt a market for budget guns like hipoints kahr glock etc wouldnt exist.

if the dpms panther was terrible or truly aweful i wouldnt allow it in the house. ive got rra colt bcm an olympic upper and the wife has her dpms. the ONLY ar15 ive ever gotten rid of and did a happy dance was the ruger sr556. i can fix the discrepencies of the others if i feel the need

anyway there is room for shooters of all levels with gear of all levels.

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You're 100% JonM. There is always room for more.

I just think we need some sort of standardization. It would clear up a lot of the misunderstandings/misconceptions.

Would there be a way to express this in a sticky?

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

there are stickies detailing the differences in various ar15 components and what it means. companies change their components so frequent that if you spent a day compiling a list it would be out of date a week later and bad info.

you can look at a specific website centered on the ar15 and their stickies are so ridiculously out of date it kinda makes them look foolish

18. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I was thinking more along the lines of usage. It seems everyone has a different level of normal, regular, etc. use. I know where there is a post that spells this out fairly well. It was posted by a guy who is fairly involved in the AR community and uses an AR in a profesional setting. I can PM you a link if it interests you.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

sure pm it to me sounds like an interesting read

20. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Man, I am not playing this game with you. Colts break in combat EVERY FRICKING DAY. Do not try the snob stuff with me, an ex-Military Armorer. HK91, HK94s, G3s, FAMAS, FALs, AUGs, MP5s, M16s M4s M4A1s..all fail to meet this crazy ass high expectation you people place and think your high end AR15s surpass. They don't.

Can you decrease the chance a firearm will break during an abusive session...yes. ALL AR15s can do this to some degree. How do you do this...test it and repair any part that breaks. Yes, there is complete crap out there... DTi isnt. Bushmaster isnt. RRA isnt.

EVERY Colt sold to the Military must pass testing. This testing is set in both Mil-C-71186 & Mil-R-63997B. Up to 25% DONT pass every test. DTi doesnt do half of this testing. So even if DTi has a 25% return ratio on AR15s with under 6,000 rounds...guess what...thats on par with COLT.

You save money buying a DTi because one of the cost savings is in less testing. That doesnt mean the rifle is LESS of a rifle than a Colt. It just means the OWNER is responsible for the end unit testing.