deja-vu all over again.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by F4U, Aug 10, 2013.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I found this web site last fall while off work with a dislocated shoulder. Was working over at dads this afternoon and extended my arm straight out at shoulder level to pull a nail. I gave the hammer handle a jerk and instead of the nail coming out my shoulder did. 7 hours at the er.

Today was the first day of my vacation. Looks like it is going to be more than week long.

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

OUCH!!! Hope it gets feeling better soon.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Years ago a guy I worked with broke his collar bone sneezing. :eek:. I could hear it snap.

4. Bevo

Bevo New Member

Get well F4U. I remember separating my shoulder just by playing golf. Stuff sucks!

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Should have hired a liberal for that. All it needed was a big jerk

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Sorry to hear. Rest up and get well

7. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Get well soon brother! I got my 45 year old dad to play 2 on 2 with me last year at the basketball court. My step moms last words were dont get hurt and he goes to save the ball and falls and cracks his shoulder..... Ouch. But anyways I feel for you!

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

In all seriousness..
    Being one that deals with chronic pain in my back and left shoulder (left handed too :mad:) I wouldn't wish anything like that on an enemy. Those kind of deals have a way of coming back to remind us that they are not done with us yet.

Get better as best you can OP. And try not to rush anything. Sometimes felling not too crappy brings out the superman in us. And payment for that comes with a vengeance.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have seen the ER staff replace dislocated shoulders in the ER. It was awful. I hope all is well with you now.

By the way, nice Yogi Berra quote for the title.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Hope it get better soon! I hate it when its the silly shat that gets me, crap I wouldn't expect and didnt even think about before it whacks me! Razor Knives and Screwdrivers have gotten me more than C4, Machine Guns, chainsaws and Routers even came close to doing (I much more careful when Im working with Dangerous things).

There was one exception to that 15 years ago at a 6omm Mortar familiarization range I was at in AP Hill VA. After an hour of training, practicing with dummy rounds and subcal projectiles the rang went HE hot and it was my turn to drop live ones. The tube was hot already so I was trying to drop and slide without burning my hands but instead of sliding my hands down the tube after the drop, I just paused at the opening and FWOOM, the damn thing went right up through my hands.

OMG, 1/4" closer and I wouldnt have had hands! I decided that day that my choice of Inti-armor really was a better for me than 81mm Indirect Fire even if it meant I was a little closer to the action!

Hope you feel better soon. I suggest a few cold ones spaced throughout the day in a comfortable lawn chair and soak it insider, I mean in Cider, damn that spellcheck thingy @#$%.

11. F4U

Mom took me to the ER, she got watch, fortunately I didn't. I don't know what they gave, but I liked it. :D

She said it looked like they were trying to pull me in half by the arms. :eek:

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yes, it's gruesome and I've heard grown mean SCREAM like crazy, even with the meds.

I'd rather watch them set a broken bone than replace a dislocated joint.

13. F4U

Last time this happened was in the cool of the fall. This damned sling is driving me nuts. My armpit is raw already, even with gold bond powder.

I am a terrible patient, my little brother is a doctor, my younger cousin is a doctor, my ex wife was a nurse, I have 3 cousins and 1 aunt who are nurses, so clearly this makes me a medical expert.

About 3:00 this afternoon I ditched the sling and started slowly working my shoulder around. Very gently replicating the exercises I learned last time this happened. The strength is not near what it should be but I have as much motion as I have in the good one.(good is a relative term) with almost no pain. It is going to be interesting to see what the doctor says in the morning! Clearly I need some physical therapy before I go back to work, I just switched shifts and went from driving to unloading/reloading trucks so I need to be able work the shoulder. But I can't see missing 3 months of work like last time.

Wish me luck !!!!

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That makes for really uncomfortable holidays. "So what do you do?"

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

My brother and his wife are both MDs. I tell people that while they are practicing their career choice I am actually fixing things.

16. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I know how that goes. I'm the dumb grunt mechanic while one sister is a nurse and the other co-owns a business.

17. F4U

Follow up to mri today doc says I need surgery to fix properly. hope the ins. co. agrees. Sure would be good to shoot trap again without worrying that a hot shootoff load will send my arm to the parking lot without my body attached.

18. F4U

Not really that uncomfortable I have about 25 or 30 first cousins, we run from truck drivers and machinists to factory managers to lawyers to doctors and nurses. One is even a horse trainer I think.