Dehorning my 1911 R1

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DoyleTheDog, Jan 9, 2013.

1. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Is dehorning something that should be left to a gunsmith? I really only need two spots on my R1 buffed out a little so that I can carry in comfort. I obviously wouldn't want to ruin the finish of my pistol, but if this is a job I can tackle myself without doing so I'd like to know. I'm looking online for info but any advice I get here is always appreciated.

I've circled the problem area (same spot on both sides) in this pic.

Attached Files:

2. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You're not going to be able to remove the sharp "horns" without also removing the finish leaving behind raw carbon steel. Depending on how much work you want done and how handy you are, you could probably do the work yourself. Or if you have a machine shop in your area, they could mill the sharp edges off for you fairly quickly.

3. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I think I could do it myself, I just don't know if I want to sacrifice the finish of the pistol. Do you think that a mag well guide would cover up enough of that edge so that it doesn't stab me while carrying?

4. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Talked to a local smith on the phone at lunch today. Going to take it to him tomorrow so he can look at it. His only concern was the finish being satin black oxide.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You will sacrifice the finish almost certainly.

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Yea most people will tell you that when hm your shopping to dehorn or do any kind of frame or slide work to a gun you also need to be shopping for a new finish

7. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

I'd be willing to bet you're right. However I trust him to grind on the frame more than I do myself. I also plan on this being one of my two main carry guns, so I bought it knowing it would get holster wear and some scratches.

Although now this does have me pondering the idea of tackling this myself and letting it be my introduction into minor gunsmithing...

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Why not just have a full blown bobtail job done?

9. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

A bob-tailed commander size 1911 is somewhere in my future. Not a huge fan of Government model 1911s with bobtails. I only carry the 45 during cold months when I wear jackets, so I wouldn't need to bobtail it to conceal it better.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Okay. Why the need to dehorn then? Are you getting jabbed by that particular area of the pistol or something? If you only wear it during the cold months with a jacket cover garment, then I assume you're using an OWB holster? If so, then you should have another shirt between you and the gun so I doubt dehorning will provide any increase in comfort.

11. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

What you are looking for is a round butt look. They are pretty cool but it will have to have a refinish job.

12. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Correct. That bottom corner that I circled has a very sharp edge. I generally don't wear undershirts and I never tuck in my shirts unless I have to. I bet his sharp edge would actually tear an undershirt. So whether I'm carrying IWB or OWB, that corner is sticking right in my kidney. That's why I said the dehorning would be very minimal. I need to post a pic of my actual pistol and give you a close up of the edge. I appreciate all of these replies.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do what I did and install a Smith and Alexander Arched MSH w/Mag-Guide.

[​IMG]

^ Original MSH

[​IMG]

^ W/S&A arched MSH

[​IMG]

^ Dido

14. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Cane, do you think that would keep the corner from poking the crap out of me? I thought of just getting a mag well guide. Wasn't sure it would solve the problem. Here's a pic I took with my phone. You can kinda see how straight the edges are.

image-3698065645.jpg

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's the way all my guns look. You might try a MSH with a built in mag well like Cane suggested. It's a modification that is completely reversible if you find that it didn't help. Might save you from having to refinish your frame.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, here's that same view of my XSE;

[​IMG]

17. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Here is a picture of it next to my colt.

image-1003447938.jpg

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Oh! Now I see what you're talking about. I can see how that would be uncomfortable.

19. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

You shoulda seen me try to sit down while wearing that pistol in a holster for the first time. :eek:

20. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

Did that MSH just drop right in your XSE or did you need to do a little fitting? I'm about to replace mine.