Firearms Talk banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
No, they were given a fair trial- even the British soldiers who committed the Boston massacre were given one- and they were represented by none other than John Adams- because he believed in a fair trial and civil liberties. The people who were hanged or tarred and feathered in those days were the tax collectors and cops. Again- you may not like that fact- but it’s a fact and, to use a phrase you conservatives love but don’t seem to stick to, facts don’t care about your feelings.
No thieves were often sentenced to be hung. Sometimes flogged, branded and sometimes their ears were cut off. But what didn’t happen was their release on no cash bail. You should probably read up on that time period it was very interesting.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Actually the trials were quick and the punishment was quicker as the gallows and wipping posts were right outside of the court house. A very minor offender if lucky might get a few days in the stocks.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
I guess it depends on your definition of a small town, but the protests here in Maine- even Portland (which I consider to be a big city- others likely don’t) were completely peaceful. And again- even in Minneapolis- yes there were looters- but there were far more peaceful protesters
Portland was peaceful?? Where they shut down whole city blocks for weeks, strongarmed protection money from businesses in the area? Killed a couple folks? That Portland??

·
Registered
844 Posts
I never said they didn’t get a trial. The American court system was different from one area to the next within the colonies. The BOR came later in an attempt to federalize the system.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
I’m talking Portland Maine- the largest city in Maine is also named Portland (the one in Oregon was named after the one here). Sorry- I didn’t realize that when I say Portland most people think of Oregon.
Ahhh ok . I was thinkjng Oregon

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
The two are quite a bit different. Portland OR is DEFINITELY a big city. Portland Maine is only a big city (or even a small city for that matter) to people who live in Main
I drove a semi for 22 yrs. Ive been to Portland Bangor etc. Pretty country.

I just automstically thought Oregon because of the subject matter.

·
Registered
844 Posts
So then where does this fit in with you arguing that cops pepper spraying people peacefully sitting on the ground to protest something isn’t in deep deep contrast with our Constitution?
Look if these protests were legitimate I would be the first to take their side and join in. The fact is a small percentage of protesters involved are there for the right reasons. The larger percentage doesn’t care about the issue as much as it does making trouble. Within that group is a portion of anarchists bent on destroying our society. Why the officials let riots occur is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Why the officials let riots occur is beyond me.
So now it’s only a legitimate protest if you agree? You need to go read about what FREE speech means
If I'm interpreting that properly ...

There's "speech."

And then there's destruction of property, or manifest material threat of such.

The latter is criminal and need not be allowed in order to secure the former, of course.

One can be all for simple, non-destructive, non-threatening speech in all its forms. While still being utterly supportive of dropping the hammer on every single criminal who dares think "speech" freedom equates to carte blanch to commit anarchic destruction of everything around them.

Even if such cretins get buried where they stand, those merely "speaking" may continue to do so with all the protections afforded them in that pursuit. And not a "hair" gets out of place constitutionally, doing it that way.

·
Premium Member
4,820 Posts
I've seen videos of "The Mattress' buddy Stalin where he was a fine fellow, jovial, polite, full of good cheer. Of course an hour before, when the cameras weren't rolling, he probably signed the death warrant for a couple of thousand poor souls.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Restraint???!!!??? I saw those cowards drive over peaceful protesters.
You call that restraint? Cuz I call it Tiananmen Square part 2. And as far as those protests being riots- the overwhelming majority of them were completely peaceful- which is something that you have the right to do in America (sorry you don’t like the First Amendment), and many of those riots were started by white supremacist boogaloo pieces of $hit. And you don’t think we live in a police state? Cops can arrest and detain you without cause (they seem to not understand habeas corpus), they can search you without a warrant, the government spies on you and collects all your data, cops can shoot you and kill you for no damn reason and then they’ll get off free because police unions protect the America gestapo we have now with infinite money and can basically use that to extend litigation until you go bankrupt, every police department in the country has armored vehicles, machine guns, explosives, etc, hell- cops can commit a home invasion (which they have cutely named a “no knock raid”- but I call it a home invasion) on the wrong house- start shooting- and if you shoot back because you don’t know it’s the police because they don’t say who they are- you go to jail and your girlfriend gets killed (Breonna Taylor), and if you protest at all, they come out in full riot gear with machine guns, tanks, etc like they’re about to invade Normandy (remember when America used to fight against the nazis) and they’ll drive over crowds of people and do drive bys with pepper spray. And then the cowards have the audacity to scream about there BS “war on cops”- there’s no war on cops- the cops have a war on us. Hell- even kneeling during the national anthem makes them scream like the little snowflakes they are.
They used the vehicles to push rioters back...yeah, I am looking at the same video as you. I don’t think much of those kneeling during the National Anthem either. Most LE are good men and women doing their best at a thankless job while being manipulated by dishonest politicians in power. Do some LE make serious mistakes? Yes! Are some masquerading as LE when in reality they too are criminals? Sure! Prosecute the bad apples!
Throughout history there has always been a need for some to enforce the law because people tend to be immoral! It is also visible throughout history that people will try to oppress citizens and use both LE and military to do so! That is what makes our Constitution so good! Foreseeing the potential for oppression, the 2nd amendment provides for common citizens the right to bear arms so as to throw off the oppressor. In the last year, especially in light of COVID, several sheriffs across the country have refused to do the bidding of politicians because they were oppressing the citizens. While I believe we need to push back against some law enforcement techniques and truly punish and weed out the corrupt and evil from the ranks, I still have some confidence in LE as a whole, but with a watchful eye. And thus the 2nd amendment is quite critical...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Whether I agree or disagree with someone’s viewpoint I would not join their cause if I suspected elements within their cause are planning violent acts. Free speech has nothing to do with burning storefronts. This seems like a simple distinction to me.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
Look if these protests were legitimate I would be the first to take their side and join in. The fact is a small percentage of protesters involved are there for the right reasons. The larger percentage doesn’t care about the issue as much as it does making trouble. Within that group is a portion of anarchists bent on destroying our society. Why the officials let riots occur is beyond me.
I agree with most of your post.
But the answer to why authorities " let " tiots occur is easy.
They have no ability to stop them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Look as far as I’m concerned they can throw Derek Chauvin in a pit of crocodiles with his buddies who stood and watched however that is not going to change my mind on rioting and looting. There is much more going here than just protesting police injustice. We saw coordinated caravans of looters descend on NY City that had nothing to do with police injustice. Half the cities in this country seem to be on the edge of chaos and I don’t blame the police.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Arrests and prosecutions would go a long way in stopping them. Torch a shop and you should be charged. The police could do their job if they had help from the politicians.
Of course, this "covid" year is definitely putting a strain on what LE can actually accomplish. When every perp is masked-up and blends in with a crowd of hundreds of other masked-up folks, it can be tough to single out the perp(s) in question. Unless there are sufficient LEOs everywhere, in a given spot to go after the perp(s) on the instant they're seen doing their crimes.

When, say, Kenosha was on fire, with crimes occurring all over, there sure didn't seem to be the numbers of LEOs available to be everywhere at once, capturing every perp on the instant they did their stuff.

Even in a good-sized metro, like with Louisville (KY) for example, even just the downtown area where rioting is happening can be over dozens of square blocks of area. Even there, the state was forced to call upon the National Guard in order to have sufficient LE presence on the scene to actually halt things caught in progress, in order to have any prayer of retaining LEOs available on-call elsewhere throughout the metro for normal and customary calls (break-ins, medical emergencies, car crashes, shoplifters, etc).

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
Of course, this "covid" year is definitely putting a strain on what LE can actually accomplish. When every perp is masked-up and blends in with a crowd of hundreds of other masked-up folks, it can be tough to single out the perp(s) in question. Unless there are sufficient LEOs everywhere, in a given spot to go after the perp(s) on the instant they're seen doing their crimes.

When, say, Kenosha was on fire, with crimes occurring all over, there sure didn't seem to be the numbers of LEOs available to be everywhere at once, capturing every perp on the instant they did their stuff.

Even in a good-sized metro, like with Louisville (KY) for example, even just the downtown area where rioting is happening can be over dozens of square blocks of area. Even there, the state was forced to call upon the National Guard in order to have sufficient LE presence on the scene to actually halt things caught in progress, in order to have any prayer of retaining LEOs available on-call elsewhere throughout the metro for normal and customary calls (break-ins, medical emergencies, car crashes, shoplifters, etc).
Yep. And even with the NG there it never stopped the rioters at night. Just moved them around but the destruction still happened.

81 - 100 of 140 Posts