'Defunding' Police -- Seattle slashes budget for policing

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by G66enigma, Dec 1, 2020.

1. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

were you there? The people I know that live there were sure as hell not burned out by peaceful protestors!!
    You must be watching "ABC news" or some other bullschitt channel !

MstrMsn, Caveman Jim, locutus and 2 others like this.
  2. Notrighty

Notrighty Well-Known Member

No thieves were often sentenced to be hung. Sometimes flogged, branded and sometimes their ears were cut off. But what didn’t happen was their release on no cash bail. You should probably read up on that time period it was very interesting.

MstrMsn and locutus like this.

3. Notrighty

Actually the trials were quick and the punishment was quicker as the gallows and wipping posts were right outside of the court house. A very minor offender if lucky might get a few days in the stocks.

MstrMsn likes this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Portland was peaceful?? Where they shut down whole city blocks for weeks, strongarmed protection money from businesses in the area? Killed a couple folks? That Portland??

5. Notrighty

I never said they didn’t get a trial. The American court system was different from one area to the next within the colonies. The BOR came later in an attempt to federalize the system.

locutus likes this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ahhh ok . I was thinkjng Oregon

7. Ghost1958

I drove a semi for 22 yrs. Ive been to Portland Bangor etc. Pretty country.

I just automstically thought Oregon because of the subject matter.

8. Notrighty

Look if these protests were legitimate I would be the first to take their side and join in. The fact is a small percentage of protesters involved are there for the right reasons. The larger percentage doesn’t care about the issue as much as it does making trouble. Within that group is a portion of anarchists bent on destroying our society. Why the officials let riots occur is beyond me.

9. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Legitimate protests don't destroy private property.

10. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

If I'm interpreting that properly ...

There's "speech."

And then there's destruction of property, or manifest material threat of such.

The latter is criminal and need not be allowed in order to secure the former, of course.

One can be all for simple, non-destructive, non-threatening speech in all its forms. While still being utterly supportive of dropping the hammer on every single criminal who dares think "speech" freedom equates to carte blanch to commit anarchic destruction of everything around them.

Even if such cretins get buried where they stand, those merely "speaking" may continue to do so with all the protections afforded them in that pursuit. And not a "hair" gets out of place constitutionally, doing it that way.

MstrMsn, Caveman Jim and Notrighty like this.
  11. sheepdawg

So for a minute or two the protesters aren't destroying things. What occurred before those videos?

12. sheepdawg

I've seen videos of "The Mattress' buddy Stalin where he was a fine fellow, jovial, polite, full of good cheer. Of course an hour before, when the cameras weren't rolling, he probably signed the death warrant for a couple of thousand poor souls.

locutus likes this.
  13. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

They used the vehicles to push rioters back...yeah, I am looking at the same video as you. I don’t think much of those kneeling during the National Anthem either. Most LE are good men and women doing their best at a thankless job while being manipulated by dishonest politicians in power. Do some LE make serious mistakes? Yes! Are some masquerading as LE when in reality they too are criminals? Sure! Prosecute the bad apples!
    Throughout history there has always been a need for some to enforce the law because people tend to be immoral! It is also visible throughout history that people will try to oppress citizens and use both LE and military to do so! That is what makes our Constitution so good! Foreseeing the potential for oppression, the 2nd amendment provides for common citizens the right to bear arms so as to throw off the oppressor. In the last year, especially in light of COVID, several sheriffs across the country have refused to do the bidding of politicians because they were oppressing the citizens. While I believe we need to push back against some law enforcement techniques and truly punish and weed out the corrupt and evil from the ranks, I still have some confidence in LE as a whole, but with a watchful eye. And thus the 2nd amendment is quite critical...

primer1 likes this.
  14. Notrighty

Whether I agree or disagree with someone’s viewpoint I would not join their cause if I suspected elements within their cause are planning violent acts. Free speech has nothing to do with burning storefronts. This seems like a simple distinction to me.

primer1 and locutus like this.
  15. Notrighty

The difference is you will never find me in a crowd of criminals with guns. And I’m not attacking you and yelling I just don’t see it the way you do which is ok.

locutus and Pasquanel like this.
  16. Ghost1958

I agree with most of your post.
    But the answer to why authorities " let " tiots occur is easy.
    They have no ability to stop them.

17. Notrighty

Arrests and prosecutions would go a long way in stopping them. Torch a shop and you should be charged. The police could do their job if they had help from the politicians.

Caveman Jim and locutus like this.
  18. Notrighty

Look as far as I’m concerned they can throw Derek Chauvin in a pit of crocodiles with his buddies who stood and watched however that is not going to change my mind on rioting and looting. There is much more going here than just protesting police injustice. We saw coordinated caravans of looters descend on NY City that had nothing to do with police injustice. Half the cities in this country seem to be on the edge of chaos and I don’t blame the police.

19. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course, this "covid" year is definitely putting a strain on what LE can actually accomplish. When every perp is masked-up and blends in with a crowd of hundreds of other masked-up folks, it can be tough to single out the perp(s) in question. Unless there are sufficient LEOs everywhere, in a given spot to go after the perp(s) on the instant they're seen doing their crimes.

When, say, Kenosha was on fire, with crimes occurring all over, there sure didn't seem to be the numbers of LEOs available to be everywhere at once, capturing every perp on the instant they did their stuff.

Even in a good-sized metro, like with Louisville (KY) for example, even just the downtown area where rioting is happening can be over dozens of square blocks of area. Even there, the state was forced to call upon the National Guard in order to have sufficient LE presence on the scene to actually halt things caught in progress, in order to have any prayer of retaining LEOs available on-call elsewhere throughout the metro for normal and customary calls (break-ins, medical emergencies, car crashes, shoplifters, etc).

20. Ghost1958

Yep. And even with the NG there it never stopped the rioters at night. Just moved them around but the destruction still happened.

MstrMsn likes this.
  21. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The protests that took place up here (over alleged crimes 3000 miles away) were very peaceful. I'm thinking that's because about 70% of us are packing and everyone knows it.