Define Unlicensed Weapon

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by AFerree, Aug 7, 2013.

1. AFerree

AFerree New Member

Occasionally when I walk into a store (say Walmart for instance) I will see a sign reading "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony." What is their definition of a unlicensed weapon? Obviously this extends to firearms but what about knives?

Attached Files:

2. AFerree

AFerree New Member

FYI this is in Texas if that makes a difference.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on where you are.

It looks like the sign may cite some law in the fine print at the bottom.

The simple thing to do is honor the owner's request and stay the hell out of their store. Store owners have the right to have business conducted in their place as they see fit. It is part of the "freedom" thing we all like to talk about.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it actually refers to the person carrying, not the firearm. in Texas you have to have a CHL to carry. there is not currently any open carry and carrying concelaed without a permit is illegal.

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Thus the warning.....it is a felony to carry concealed without a license, store or no store.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes it is a felony to carry concealed without a permit in Texas. but i question why some places have these signs in the first place. i have seen them from time to time. i can understand a sign that says no firearms allowed, meaning even those with a CHL.

7. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Sign means, If you like guns, you wont like this store, go eleswere!

8. Mason609

Mason609 New Member

As far as knives go, it varies.

We talking hunting/survival knives, pocket knives, Swiss Army knives?

It's all about state law and city/town ordinances.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Defining things instead of actions as legal or illegal is a modern day quagmire. Banning things is a waste of time and Billions of dollars via regulatory BS and Law enforcement. There really are very few things that should be illegal by themselves; Concentrated, weaponized Anthrax is one of them, Ma Deuce is not.

The Sheeple have been Requiring and Demanding Life's Minefield clearing via Government rule, thats not the answer, never has been.

My definition of a good or bad gun has everything to do with my actual view of the business end and who has their finger on the trigger; nothing to do with the gun, everything to do with the gunner!

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you carry ANY weapon, knife, gun, sword, tank, etc., its your job to know your state laws regarding that weapon, including business owners options. Signage is usually just a reminder of these laws. You should definitely vote with your dollars, though.

I use these cards for any business that doesn't allow concealed carry. After you find a business that doesn't allow you in, mailing these or dropping one off every couple of months makes me feel better. :)

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As pointed out, the weapon is not licensed, the person is. This would be standard sinage for an establishment where alcoholic beverages are "served, sold or consumed". The emblem on the top of the sign is from the TABC, The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.

13. antikythera

antikythera New Member

I always assumed it referred to conceal carry.

14. AFerree

AFerree New Member

Thanks for the info, cleared this up for me. These signs don't really seem to say much. Just reminders of the law.

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In Florida you get a Concealed Weapons License which permits you to carry concealed firearms, knives, brass knuckles, mace, a telescoping baton...however, I have spent many years walking into stores, including Wally World, with a buckknife in plain sight on my belt and nobody has ever said a word to me.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

My wife's tongue is an unlicensed weapon, deadly.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

7point: Most police I've talked to and an attorney say the test on a carried knife is would an average citizen carry it.

3.5" Spyderco-Normal pocket knife, no permit required.

8" Bowie knife- not normal to carry daily, need a permit to conceal.

I'm no lawyer, but I've heard this many times and it seems to make sense. I'm in Florida btw. It's interesting that some states CWP only allows you to carry a firearm. So you can carry a gun, but heaven forbid you're packing a sword, knuckles or slapshot. Silly with a capital S!

18. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

I see stupid sings like that all the time. Like its going to stop a criminal. Heck in va the only guns that need to be licensed is class 4 is full auto and superseded. So my carry piece is unlicensed. However I am licensed to carry. And as for all them gun free zones. with the exception of schools ,government building. Bars if your drinking and for some reason churches. The worst thing they can do is ask you to leave. Assuming your not carrying right and someone notices

19. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

In TX, it's a misdemeanor to carry a concealed handgun without a license, unless you carry into an establishment that sells alcohol. These signs went up at Walmart near my house when Walmart started selling alcohol.

As said, unlicensed possesion is illegal, not posession of an "unlicensed gun". There's no such thing in TX. I can buy a gun face to face with a private owner and pay cash with no paperwork.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  20. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Really, a felony to exercise a right. Not where I live, or have ever lived.:mad: