Deferred adjudication in texas

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by marine04, Aug 7, 2012.

1. marine04

marine04 New Member

Can you legally own a weapon in Texas if you complete differed adjudicated probation? The court papers said that the court recognized the completion of probation and the indictment was dismissed

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Prolly need to consult your attourney for a ruling on law issues.

Somethings like child molestation and beating a wife stick with ya. Not saying thats what you did or didnt do i have no clue and mean no offense. Just using them as an extreme example

3. marine04

marine04 New Member

My attorney said I could still own when I was in court taking my deal but I've heard different things

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

While we HAVE had a couple of attorneys that are members here, last I saw of them they were hiding under the table, and whimpering softly.

I would urge you to follow the advice of YOUR attorney that is licensed in YOUR state. There is a major difference between a deferred adjudication and probation. In MY state, a deferred adjudication, once satisfied, results in withdrawal of charges. There IS no conviction.

However, I am not IN your state. Your attorney IS.

5. marine04

marine04 New Member

Yeah I have been going with what he said and I own and carry in the car now but just want to make sure but until I'm told a definite no ill
    Continue to own. The way I interpreted the part in my papers about the indictment is dismissed is that there's no conviction

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Deferred adjudication should not result in a "final conviction". You should be elligible for expungment or erasure of the record. For best results pay the attorney to file the paperwork to have the entire record expunged so there is nothing on your record at all.

Of course I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV, so take my advise with a grain of salt.