Defensive ammunition what is safe/defective?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Nake48, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

What types of ammunition do you guys recommend for 9mm, .380 auto, .40, .45ACP and other cartridges that can be considered a "carry gun" even .410gauge if you have a handgun that fires it.

The only type of defensive ammunition I currently own is; 9mm +P JHP 115gr corban. I have not tried it yet at the range, but what would others recommend for Defensive "carry ammunition" All calibers are welcome.

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is a bit like asking what's your favorite color. Basically any major brand of modern JHP ammo will serve in a defensive situation. Some folks do a lot of tests on wet phone books, ballistic gel, pic carcasses, and every brand/type has its loyal fans. Pick one that is available to you locally, shoot it through your guns, and if it functions well - choice made...

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am carrying 185gr Gold dot Speers right now.

4. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Whatever you choose you should try it out in your CCW. Some guns are touchy about feeding hollow point ammo. Best to find that out at a range

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

[​IMG]

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

..........................................................................................................[​IMG]

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I'm in total agreement with NGIB. It is important to go with major manufacturer's self defense ammo. All of the ammo makers are competing for our money and they all make good products. I have my preferences, as do others. For practice or plinking, go with the cheap stuff, but self defense ammo is no place to go cheap.

8. Nake48

Nake48 New Member

I agree I have lots of spare 9mm and spare .45 ACP's laying around that are for plinking and then there is Corban and others for self defense that are not as available (some will be online and some wont be stored at any of the gun dealers at all/ close to me commercial re-sales ) So it's all about flavor and what taste the gun likes, as someone on the forum said, smaller polymer frame guns don't like HP ammo as much as a full size metal one would.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

First, it's called Cor-Bon.

As far as the statement I quoted - totally no basis in fact. One of the pickiest guns with JHP ammo is actually a "full sized metal" one - a 1911. The smaller polymer autos were built specifically as self defense guns and as such reliability with JHP was built into the design. Now every gun won't like every brand so it's necessary for you to find what your gun digests reliably...

10. CAR

CAR New Member Supporter

I use black talons 180 gr in my S&W 40, and black talon 147 gr in my wifes 9mm. There hard to get mostly find them at gun shows 40 to 45 a box of 20.
    Im still useing the ones i bought in the 90's

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Still carrying the same ammo for how many years?!!! I recommend switching to new (Fresh) ammo every year. Your life depends on it. You would not use the same oil in your car for 100,000 miles, would you?

Consider the Speer Gold Dots.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My PF 9 hates 115 gr in HP or FMJ. It loves 124 gr in HP or FMJ. I use factory HP for carry. You shoot someone and you will likely end up in court. Handloads and modified guns will compound your problems. Lawyers and especially prosecutors will use anything they can to win their case. They just have to convince a jury that you are a blood thirsty monster that went out of his way to make his weapon more lethal. They will lie deliberately missrepresent the facts.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

my preference is the heaviest grain bullet that will cycle my handgun/rifle reliably. expansion of hollowpoints is just a bonus.

14. CAR

CAR New Member Supporter

Yes Robocop i know that ammo is old. That is why i came here, I am just learning to reload. I am almost there. I have looked at Speer gold dot and
    Hornady HP/XTP and many others. I have fired a few clips every 6 months,
    It has always went bang and made nice holes. But yes it is old and needs replaced. I thank you for your advice (I think).
    I don't know how you meant it, But i found your last comment to be uncalled
    for and offensive. I hope that was not the way you meant it.

15. Missileman

Missileman New Member

I use Remington Golden Sabers in both 9mm and 45acp, mainly because they always feed and function in my defense pistols. However, to echo earlier recommendations, I believe you should put AT LEAST 100 rounds of your chosen defensive ammo through your pistol WITHOUT malfunction before you use it for personal defense, and that is after you've shot at least 500 rounds of practice/ball ammo through it--both to ensure the gun is 100% and to increase your skills with that particular weapon that you are trusting your life to.

16. oznbolivia

oznbolivia New Member

The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
    The guys at the above website have done a fair amount of testing on just the question above. Some of the test reveled interesting results. The 410 even in the slug form leaves a lot to be desired.

What Missileman states about practice and using the ammo you are planing to carry is very good advice. Practice at different distances and different light levels. Winter requires different loads than summer, because of the clothing used by the baddies. The firearm will be warmer but harder to get to with winter clothes and cold does have an effect on some powders, so practice dressed as you would be for the weather conditions.

As to old ammo? I shot about 50 rounds of 38 Spl. a while back that had to be 40 or more years old. every round went bang. The velocities were higher than stated on the box 855fps. I've also fired 22rf that were over 10 years old and had as many no fires as I have had with new ammo. Between Winchester and Remington, Remington being the brand with the most miss fires. Again practice check different brands to get the most reliable and stay with it.

38 Spl. is still a good round and 125 grain or 135 grain hollow or expanding point work very well. True, only revolvers apply.

Oz

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010