Deer Thief!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by steadyshot, Nov 23, 2012.

1. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Have you ever heard of someone stealing another person's tagged deer?:mad:

Reward Offered in Stolen Deer Carcass Case

November 22, 2012 10:02 PM

Filed under
    Crime, News

Boulder Illinois, Clinton County, deer

CARLYLE, IL. (KMOX) - Crimestoppers in Clinton County Illinois is offering a reward for information about the theft of three deer carcasses.

Kyle Markus, his brother in law and a friend all shot bucks a week ago. They had them hanging in the yard near their clubhouse in Boulder Illinois. The next morning they were gone.

“We usually let them hang on a Friday night. It’s something we’ve done for years . We’ve never had an issue before. I dont know if they just saw they were all bucks. I guess that got their attention.” said Markus.

Kyle had shot an eleven point buck. He says he doubts anyone will come forward, but he’d like the thief to at least return the head.

The Clinton County Sheriff’s office hopes to find the culprits. Anyone with information is urged to contact the Clinton County Sheriff’s office at 618-594-4555 or Crimestoppers at 800-918-8911
    http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/11/22/reward-offered-in-stolen-deer-carcass-case/

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Stealing someone else's deer is pretty low thing to do. I hope they catch these idiots. :mad:

3. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

First time I've heard of it.

Every time I think I can't be surprised by stupid behavior anymore something does.

4. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

And this is only like an hour from where I'm at! I'm gunna have to start booby trapping my deer :rollseyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  5. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is literally stealing food from the family table. A killing offense in my book.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

That goes along with dry gulching and back shooting! Also you might check your local meat processors and taxidermy shops if you have any pictures or can identify the deer. Actually you do not need pictures your tags might still be on them? They would have to have the tag on them for either of the two business to process them! Just a thought! They may have pretended to be you guys since the tag would be on the deer. And will return to get the meat or the head! BINGO you got em!

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have heard of isolated incidents where deer have been stolen, usually reported in local newspapers. quite possibly it happens more than is known, just not reported?

i do hope they catch the scum that did it. Sniper03 had some pretty good thoughts on catching them, but i think there is also the possibility they will just butcher them up themselves and bypass the processing plant and then the tags would be null and void.

8. tri70

tri70 New Member

Hate all thieves!

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'll bet Axxe is right. I don't think they'd dare take stolen deer to a processor.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Unfortunately I have heard of deer and elk being stolen. To make matters worse it was at gunpoint. At least two of the thieves went to jail for armed robbery. One of the reasons I quit hunting on public land.

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

The only one that I have heard about is where a guy on foot, was arguing that the deer was his. The other guy, with the horseback hunters, tried his best to let him know that, indeed, it WAS NOT his deer. The first guy was pretty adamant, the second guy finally gave in, and asked if he could, at least, remove the saddle.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Some Thieves are dumber than you think. One time we had a burglar fleeing that had those lights in the heels of his tennis! "Fact! Evidently something had been wrong with the lighting with normal walking but when he started running the lights started working.:D He was caught but chased for three blocks. The shift commander was on the radio wanting to know how the officer who was about 25-30 yards behind him on that dark night could keep him in sight. Laughter actually broke out on the radio when the officer reported " Breathing hard from the foot chase advised "Because he has lights in the heels of his shoes"!
    Some other ones entered the front door in the front lobby of a Bank on a Saturday morning! Only to find the inner door going into the Bank was locked it was 8:55 AM. The Banks front doors opened at 9:00AM. Which the teller hit the alarm and they were both caught in the parking lot of the shopping center before they could drive out! So you are probably correct but you can not count on them being logical or intelligent! Hope you find them!

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard of many instances of deer getting stolen. It usually happens in the woods, when someone goes to get a vehicle to get their deer. They come back, and all they find is their tag.
    A hunter at work just told me last week of trailing a buck onto an adjoining property, and the landowners wouldn't let him retrieve it. The landowner then bragged about this monster buck he bagged. Legal, yes, so he was powerless to do anything about it.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

as you put it legal yes. he should have gotten in touch with the game warden and informed them. in the state of Texas, IIRC, and unless they changed the laws, you could retrieve a dead deer from anothers property if it was killed on your property or lease. also IIRC, you could not go onto the other persons property armed though to retrieve it.

15. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

We have had this happen in the past where a deer was shot on our property but died on another persons property. We always offered half the deer to the property owner and never had an issue. Most times the property owner said no thanks and everyone went on their way.

16. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I would like to add that it has happened in reverse as well where a deer shot on an adjoining property had died on ours. We always let them retrieve the deer.

Now if people are running dogs and spook a deer that runs on our property and we shoot it? Thanks.

17. fmj

fmj New Member

Here in IN its tough $H!T, if the landowner wont give permission, your SOL!

This is EXACTLY why i hang my deer in the garage.

18. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I had my first deer stolen from me. I got over it. That hunter was about to become the hunted though.