Deer scope..?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by icallshotgun88, Oct 17, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Similar (but not exact) threads have covered goo scopes for deer but I wanted to start one that covers all my needs for a scope..

It will sit atop a remington 700 sps aac sd
    It will be for taking deer (300 yards or less ish)
    I want extreme reliability and durability
    I want variable power
    Price range is $500-$700

That's about it...

I'm a name brand whore so I'd prefer something that comes from a highly reputable company..

2. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Holy chit...............

Check out all the sights here on fTf. Then go to venders here on fTf that sells what you're lookin for...............And don't be affeared to ask theese kind folks for feed back on said scope...........

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would, and have done so twice, purchase a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 to 10 x 50 mm. Best light gathering scope for hunting till the last possible moment of legal shooting hours on the market in that price range.

4. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Do this or get a Ziess Conquest. Ziess has updated/replaced the Conquest line with the Tierra line and some good deals are to be had on the old Conquest models if you look around.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

2.5-10x42 power Nikon monarch 3 would be my choice. money left over for mounts. Good power range for close up shots but still enough for a good look at 300 yards. I have used a lower cost bushnell 2.5-10x40 for 36 years on a 308. on 2.5-10 40mm lenes will give you all the light you can use even in a thick wood bottom.
    http://swfa.com/Nikon-Monarch-3-Riflescopes-C4957.aspx

6. icallshotgun88

Do I want an illuminated reticle? Pros and cons?

BDC dial or BDC reticle? Pros and cons?

How much variable zoom would I need to comfortably shoot at 300 yards?

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the illuminated reticle will give a little advantage early in the morning and late in the evening when light levels are still low. most of the them have a dimness level control so you can use as much or little as you think you needbased on light levels.

BDCwork great if they are dialed into the cartridge and load you are shooting with your rifle. some range testing will give you an idea as to what type of drop with a particular load has with your scope and rifle set-up.

for a deer rifle, my suggestion would be from a 3-9 to maybe a 4-12 power scope. anything more at that distance, you will lose field of view and make it hard to find a deer. this where a pair of binoculars are very handy. alows a very broad range of vision to find the deer then use the scope to pinpoint it from the lower power levels, then zoom in with the scope to a higher poser if needed.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Its not the 700 dollar scope that will get you a deer. Learn to stalk, where to find game, and iron sights can do it easily. But if you want to spend money like that, what kind of terrain are you going to be hunting in?

9. icallshotgun88

Thank you. Very helpful.

Another question..
    About how much MOA travel will be necessary for shooting no further than 500 yards with a 0 MOA scope base?

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would recomend the trijicon accupoint in green. meets all your wants in an awesomely capable deer getter scope.

11. Axxe55

depends on how much is available with the adjustments of the reticle. one of the methods they use to use was to use shim material under the forward scope base to get more range out of the reticle adjustments. shim material is available at a lot of different supply outlets like Granger and comes in different thickness'. leave the scope at 0 MOA and then work with different thickness' of shim material under your forward scope base to shoot longer distances when you want to long range target shoot. that way it's removable an can be put back to 0 when you're using it for hunting.

12. icallshotgun88

But just in general, if my scope is mechanically zeroed at a 100 yard zero, about how much MOA travel will a scope need to comfortably reach out to 500 yards? I want to make sure I can get a scope with enough MOA travel to reach out that far and not have to use a canted scope base..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on the cartridge the gun itself the rings and base being used. There isnt a one size fits all answer

14. icallshotgun88

i was just looking for a ball park estimate...

I'm looking at Leupold scopes and I think any scope from them would give me enough MOA travel to reach out that far without a problem..right?

15. Axxe55

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would get a 4x fixed power scope. There is nothing to adjust and you are good from 10 yards to 300 yards. You can put some binoculars in your bag.

17. icallshotgun88

That's funny, because I've literally been on Leupold's website ALL day and I'm trying to narrow it down between the one you showed me (VX-3 ;.5-15x40) and the VX-R 4-12x50)

I think the VX 3 is supposed to be a better glass, but I like the illumination/ fiber optics on the VX-R...
    They make a VX 3 with illumination but a little bit out if my price range

18. Axxe55

Leopold makes a fine scope. you could do a lot worse than a Leopold!

Leopold has even branched off into the tactical scope lines for police and military in the last several years.

they are not cheap, IMO are worth the price if you can afford them.

19. sandog

sandog Member

I put in a vote for the Leupold VXR Patrol, the 4-12x40mm is $600, and the 4-12x50mm is $670.You can get it with illuminated dot (Fire Dot), and a BDC reticle (BFD), and it has a 30mm tube.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  20. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ive sworn off leupolds. Havent had one that has survived more than two years other than my vx3 rimfire efr. Vx7 broken lens delamination havent sent it back for repair yet as they will fix it just too lazy to repair something that will just sit on the shelf.

Mk4 3.5-15 lens delamination sold it to a buddy that didnt care he sent it back for repairs.

Mk4cqb wont hold zero shelved leupold wont fix repair or replace.

Im not wasting more money on leupold optics.

Ive switched to trijicon nightforce nikon and vortex depending on need.