Deer scents

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by tri70, Sep 9, 2012.

1. tri70

tri70 New Member

The hunting season is very close and we have a small group of doe that move thru the property. Every year I place some buck scent around the stand to help draw in a buck or two. It does work well, I see a lot of rubs when I start using the scent but sometimes I have to let them walk if they are not big enough. I will use several different brands because they all claim good results. I don't know if one works better than the others but my $40-50 will get a buck close.;)

What brand do you guys like best?

2. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I don't use scents but the smell of anything other than tobacco burning makes deer very curious. I keep a bag of leaves to burn when it's to wet to burn leaves just laying around. I don't know first hand but I have heard deer come to weed burning. I know several heads that can't get out of bed without burning one that kill a lot of deer. Use matches to light your fire deer know that a lighter means danger. I can tell you that much from first hand experience.

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

tink's #69.............but only during the rut
    btw, the next doe you kill.......recover the contents of her bladder in a fruit jar......freeze it and use it on your next hunt............also cut off the metetarsal glands ( a strong smelling lump of darker hair located just below the joint on the back legs)

4. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have real good luck with buck metatarsal glands. When our season opens (oct 15) the deer come into full rut during the first full moon.

5. tri70

tri70 New Member

I put out buck scent today and a game block. My brother has been seeing several does moving thru. The salt blocks have been hit pretty good!

6. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

I make my own, and it works GREAT

Mix some Pure Vanilla Extract in a spray bottle with some vegetable oil.

The vegetable oil helps make the extract last longer and helps it become a little rain resistant (so that it lingers longer) Spray that in some bushes and weeds near where your stand is.

I'm not lying, it increased the doe population in my area *BIG TIME*

And where there's Does, big bucks are SURE to follow =)

My trail cams do not lie

I also use Wall Hanger scents from James Valley....it's amazing!

http://www.jamesvalleycompany.com/

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  7. JohnJak

JohnJak Member

Deer are very curious animals.

I can smoke a cig and take a leak at my blind. I have never hunted over bait piles,salt licks etc. I am successful every year.

8. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I just keep the tarsal glands from the previous year for the rut. The rest of the season I just hunt their food. Its always worked well for me.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

slightly shocked... i use vanilla and water. spray down all my outer layers, and bow and arrows.
    dont really use much else. just keep all my hunting gear in bags with old leaves

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  10. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

Yup, not only does the vanilla help mask your odor, but it is damn near irresistible to those does...it's like catnip...for does =)

But to anyone interested, don't bother buying this stuff from the hunting aisle.

Go to the cooking aisle, get a big bottle of McCormicks pure vanilla extract, a bottle of vegetable oil (or, if you're spraying your clothes, just use water)

Add both to a big spray bottle, shake throughout and enjoy! Telling you - it works