Deer sausage wasteful??

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by capnklump, Nov 25, 2013.

1. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I remember reading in a thread awhile back of someone saying that it is wasteful to make deer sausage with your kill. I dont understand that seeing as you mix it with pork for the fat content. It would seem you stretch it instead of wasting it. Thoughts?

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

How is consumption wasteful?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

most people i know mix deer meat with some pork for the fat content. deer meat by itself is usually too lean.

really not understanding their reasoning at all. makes no sense.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What ever goes unused or uneaten is wasteful.

Some folks may say that grinding up the loins or the hams, and turning it into sausage is a waste of some of the best potential use of the prime cuts that make good steaks or jerky, or stew meat. But using some of the less choice cuts for sausage to ensure minimal unused meat is not wasteful.

5. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

If you like deer sausage have deer sausage do yourself a big favor and pay little mind what other people think, they aren't eating it!

6. capnklump

capnklump New Member

I would agree. What I like to do with the hind quarters is to take a large section of it (bone in) & cut slits all over it, stuff it with garlic, coat the whole outside with mustard & Tony Chachere seasoning & brown it real good all over on top of the stove, adding a little water at a time as needed, until it begins to produce its own gravy & gets very tender. Add some rice & some garlic bread..... Mmmmm... Nothins finer.... Geez, I've gone & made this a cooking thread! LOL.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

^^^^^This!^^^^^^

it's your deer. fix deer sausage to your liking and tell anyone else to mind their own business and fix their deer meat how they choose to.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

There's a good life lesson in this.

That's what I was thinking.

9. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Making sausage or burger actually is less wasteful than not making it. When people use the meat for said purpose they always use lots of little pieces that are tough that either get thrown out or fed to the dog. The rib cage on most deer get thrown out for example. When making ground meat we strip that off and throw it in the pot. Another example is the lower leg sections. Tough and not worth the time unless it is ground up.

So whoever made that statement is wrong and doesn't have a clue. I love it when I give a deer away and know they will be grinding some of it up as I know that the the whole deer will be used not just select sections.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

This!!!!
    Last Sunday i ground up some fat wild hog bacon with deer meat. 1/3 hog to 2/3 deer with a smattering of Morton's works for me.

11. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I love deer meat but I gotta admit I prefer burger to sausage. I get prime rib and rib eye trimmings and fat to make the burger with. Each hamburger taste like a steak. I generally cut the hams and loins into steaks though and grind the tougher cuts.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

If you are using it in any way I can't see it being a waste. Either way, after reading this thread now in starving!!!!

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

We have deer bratwurst over here. I also ground some of my deer meat for hamburgers, spaghetti and stuffed peppers. Here are a few cuts from my freezer, minus grounded meat.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Only wasted if its not eaten !.................

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's only wasteful if you don't use it ad toss it out. I will say it's a little off to me to make it all into sausage being there are some good cutsa ot be had to make a roast or some tenderloins. But, if it's your kill and you want a hole deer made into I don't care what it's not wasteful if you are using it.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The good thing about making game sausage is the meat grinder. When you are running a meat grinder you can not hear idiots "Bitching".:D

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

You guys are really making me wish I were a hunter...

18. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Take it up when you move back to NC---there are plenty of gamelands around Jacksonville and I think you can hunt on Lejune property but dont hold me to that.

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

I plan on it. And yes I'm about 98% sure that there are hunting ranges on base.

I don't know the first thing about skinning... storing meat, and whatnot.

Got a lot to learn.

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Game meat is much healthier. No manipulating of nature from humans.