Deer rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bowhunter17, Apr 27, 2013.

1. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

I am looking for a cheap bolt action rifle for white tailed deer. I mostly shoot shotguns so I only know the basics of rifles. Any suggestions? How are the used Remington 700s?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

depends on your budget of course. most used Remingtons are great rifles. i have several myself in various calibers.

another option depending on your budget, the Marlin X7 series of rifles. well made, accurate and some really good features at a decent price. own three of them myself and they are IMO equal to rifles cost much more.

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Marlin, Ruger, Savage, Stevens, t/c have entry level bolt rifles. The t/c will run around $5-600 tho.

4. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

my budget is like $450 at most

5. Axxe55

best suggestion is this is probably the best time of year to start looking at the pawn hops and gun stores for good used rifles. good thing about a used rifle is they sometimes have lots of leeway for haggling on the price. cash is king buddy!

6. kytowboater

I have a Ruger American in .270. Haven't had a xhance to shoot it yet. It feels nice at least lol.

Axxe has some of the marlins, he swears by them and that's good enough for me.

I think the receiver on the axis are ugly.

Attached Files:

7. Axxe55

thank you KY! i do swear by them. they are IMO one of the best values in an entry level rifle. now that's an opinion of mine. based on usage and comparison to many other rifles i have either owned or shot.

the savage Axis is actually a solid performing rifle. decently accurate, well made and decently priced as well. my biggest problem is ergonomics and preference. it just doesn't fit me or shoulder like some others. for me it also feels delicate and small. now i do still recommend it though, because i have shot a few of them and they work quite well, just not for me. just personal preference.

8. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

The remingtons are a great way to go. I would really look at the tikkas though. They are phenomenal for the price.

9. bowhunter17

bowhunter17 New Member

How much are they?

10. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

Last I saw you could get one on sale for around $500. Maybe a little more though now with the craze. I bet you could find a decent price in a pawn shop though. I personally think it is one of the best bang for your buck out there. Adjustable trigger, extremely accurate, light weight, smooth action, and never had any problems with mine.

11. MTHunter

MTHunter New Member

I have a Savage Axis in .270 and I love it. They cost $300 bucks but you also then have to buy a scope. The trigger pull is somewhat heavy but breaks very crisply. I personally feel I could not have chosen a better rifle for the price.

12. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Bowhunter, Savage makes a Model 111 "Trophy Hunter" that is a 5-shot, removable magazine with adjustable Accu-Trigger and included in the package is a 3-9X40 Nikon scope that is very, very clear and tight. For a brand-new, out-of-the-box platform it is very hard to beat at $525 street.

13. Axxe55

another option is the Mossberg ATR100. pretty accurate rifle. very well made and decently priced. recoil is a bit stouter than some of the others though, but still a good rifle.

14. kytowboater

This sounds like a darn good deal!

15. Ishooter

Ishooter New Member

I picked up a Savage. They are very accurate and you can pick up a new one in your price range. I think it will be hard to get a Remington used in that price range. I know you can' buy a new 700 in that price range. Bass prow just had a sale on the Savage for $400. Good luck on what ever you decide.

16. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I just picked up a Savage hunter 111, mine is 30-06. Comes with a Bushnell scope attached to it. The gun was $369.00. It shot great and the Bushnell scope has a life time warrantee with it. Grant it the scope might not be the best out there but its bright and holds tight groups. The trigger is a standard trigger( no adjustments) but its easy to pull, crisp and predictable. The bolt is smooth.

17. Axxe55

depending on your area, it's possible to buy a used M700 for a decent price.

last year i bout two about six months apart. the first 270 and the second a 30-06. i gave $325 of the 270 and $250 for the 30-06. even after refinishing both i am still less than $1000 for both including scopes. so there are some good deals if you look around hard enough and don't mind doing a little work on them.

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Ever notice the cheaper the purchase the louder and more frequent the swearing by, and at people about, it is?

There are some great inexpensive, starter, bolt action rifles available today -- like never before -- but I'd be careful not to delegate a decision to someone else's lower step on the socio-economic ladder.

19. Axxe55

Hock why all the anger this morning? didn't you sleep alright last night?

get you a cup of coffee and some aspirin and you'll get to feeling better!:D

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bowhunter,
    That is an excellent idea regarding the used rifle. By looking at the face of the bolt as well as the bore. It will surely give you a real good reading of the condition of the rifle. $450-$500 will get you a fine used rifle. A while back I purchased a Remington 700 ADL Model in 243 Cal. with a decent variable power scope for exactly $450 at a local gun show. As most rifles a guy has purchased them on a whim sighted them in and never use them to hunt with since they have been too busy or what ever. And the rifle is hardly if ever used. They are a great deal! I have seen some fine top quality rifles that would cost $800-$1200 with a scope sell in your price range. Good Luck on your search!