Deer rifle under $500

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Prorebel, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Prorebel

Prorebel New Member

I've recently decided to go white tail hunting in northeastern Pennsylvania this season but do not own a rifle. I'm wondering which caliber and which brand would be the absolute best for my region and budget. (also in need of a scope)

2. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

30-06 Ruger American like 299 -350 gives u about 200 for scope. Or go a marlin 30-30 lever action scoped for like 399 at dunhams put them on sale this week both would be a good deer gun at a good price the other in the pick is a remington never shot one so not sure about them

Attached Files:

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What type of woods? How close are your shots likely to be?

A tight woods gun might be served well with a Marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 Remington, where shots are likely to be less than 150 yards and more likely to be inside of 100 yds.

A rifle for taking open field shots out to 200 yds and beyond, A .30-06, .270 or 7mm should be fine. Savage, Tikka, or used rifles like Winchester model 70 or Remington model 700 would be good choices. The Savage 110 can often be found used, with a scope well inside your budget, and they are surprisingly accurate for what they cost.

4. Prorebel

Prorebel New Member

I'm not really sure what to expect more than likely dense forest I've spent most of my time in a pistol range.

5. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Go to the store and pick a few guns up they all feel different in every ones hands this will help narrow your search then ask Wich of the ones u like are better it will be like asking the Ford Chevy question lol or search on here its probly all ready been asked

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

For a thicker forest your best bet may be a 12ga shotgun with a rifled barrel, put sst slugs in there and you have a 200 yard gun that will hit harder than a .270 at 50-150 yards.

If you are dedicated to a rifle than a ruger all american in 30-06 or a mossberg 100 atr in -06 would fit the bill perfectly.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you are looking for a good, inexpensive rifle take a look at Marlin XL7 line. I've been using one for a couple of years now and have no complaints. It's a simple rifle with decent fit and finish but for something to drag thru the woods it's fine and it will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards.
    If you are hunting in NE PA you will run out of room before you run out of rifle with almost any caliber. What kind of recoil do you have experience with?

8. Prorebel

Prorebel New Member

I'm familiar with light to heavy recoil and have been recommended the marlin xl7 but have not handled one

9. Prorebel

Prorebel New Member

Thanks a lot for the info I think the best thing to do is try a few out and find out what feels best thanks again all

10. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

On a budget I dont see how you could go wrong with a marlin xl7 chambered in .270 with something like a burris 3x9x40 scope.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Mosin-Nagant; $99.00 OTD. You don't actually have to hit the deer, the shock wave will take him down and you can cut his throat with a $2.00 butcher knife, while he is stunned.

12. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

You can pick up a rem 770 or savage axis for 299 scoped, I've heard good and bad things about both rifles

13. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Marlin 336 in 35. Was just at cabelas and they had a few used ones on the used racks for well under $500. The 35 hits harder than the 30-30 and won't beat you up shooting it. My family has a few of them in the safe. Lots of deer have been dropped with them.

14. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I recommend .308 or 30-06. You can find ammo for both calibers just about anywhere from many makers, bullet types, weights etc. Unless you will be taking longer shots go with the .308; it kicks less so you will practice more and not pick up a flinch.

As to rifles, I would steer clear of new Remingtons because their quality control has dropped since the Freedom Group bought them (look for a used one from the pre FG days). I just bought a Weatherby Vanguard S2 new for $425. If you like two stage triggers and a heavier rifle this is an option. I read great things about Savage accuracy, but have never fired one. Go to a gun shop and see what fits you best. A good scope for the money is the Redfield Revolution.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Marlin X7 series is probably the best value in a budget rifle there is. the only thing budget about them is the price. accurate, well built, adjustable trigger, very good recoil pad, and pillar bedded. put a good scope on one and you have one dang good deer rifle. the calibers suggested are all good, but another one to consider is the 7mm-08. very good ballistics, gentle recoil and should work well at your distances.

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

If you have to have a rifle the 30/06 is the most versatile. You might find a savage 110 which is a good rifle but you will be stuck with a scope that comes with a combo. Seldom are the scopes that come in the combos very good. Waiting until fall to buy a rifle is seldom a good idea. Prices are much better after hunting season. You might luck into a nice used rifle. Many people get the urge to buy a better rifle right before hunting season.

17. Abc1911

Abc1911 New Member

18. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I just got a ruger american in 308 and was surprised at how little it recoils,it was much softer than my buddy's rem 700 in 270 win,that 308 is comparable to a 30-30 win or marlin in recoil.and that 308 is a flat accurate shooter too.