Deer Rifle Help

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by northhike, Aug 31, 2009.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

Ok...I will try and ask this question with some details so I don't get too beat up by you seasoned gun hunters. :D

I am a veteran hunter (20+ years), but new to gun hunting. Been bowhunting most of my life so if you need help with that I am your guy. :D

Anyway, I am looking for a deer rifle for hunting the edge of fields and woods of northern Minnesota. Most of the shots will be under 100 yards and I do not plan on hunting elk, bear, elephant, Bigfoot, etc......just deer. ;)

I read through some past posts and see that the 30-06, .308, 7MM, .270 and .243 were some good deer calibers. However.....I do enjoy my shoulder where it is now and would like to minimize recoil and not overgun myself.

I already have an idea of the maker of guns I like (Remmington and Marlin) and the action (bolt) so I got that covered. Its really down to caliber and since I have really never shot a deer rifle (other than shotgun) I have no idea what to expect, but would like a good starting point.

Recommendations on caliber? I know I have to test shoot a few, but would like some thoughts.

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'd go with .270 and above and buy a recoil pad if you are worried about kick. The kick is not that bad in newer makes in most of the calibers you mentioned. I'm not sure what you consider heavy recoil, tho. It's one of those things that are relative to the shooter.

3. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

I shoot .270, .243, 30-30, 30-06, 45/70, and .44mag.
    I like all of the above. How big are your deer? Texas Hillcountry deer are smallish so .243 is great at the range you indicated, I like 100gr boattails. If you have big deer, .270 may be better. It's all really a matter of personal preference. You will get many answers and opinions here as all have personal favorites. Let us know what you wind up with and good luck!

4. northhike

northhike New Member

Thanks fopr the replies. I don't think I said "heavy recoil"...what I said is that I like my shoulder where it is. :D

I am just looking for a good balance between getting the job done efficiently and recoil. I'm not a "bigger is better" kind of guy. ;)

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I would say it depends on what all you want to hunt with the rifle. If you only want to hunt deer or similar sized game a 270 would be a fine choice but all of the ones you mentioned will do well. I personally use a 30-06 because I wanted 1 rifle to use to hunt anything on North America. That and it's over 100 years old and still one of the most used calibers, very good history, very wide range of loads available from 130gr up 220gr and wider if you hand load.
    If you are concerned with recoil, don't rule out a 30-30. That round has been taking deer for years and years. A Marlin 336 is a very good rifle, they can be picked up for under $300 used and the recoil is light.

6. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

im getting my OWN first rifle this year as well. Im looking at either a 30-06 which is what ive been using or a 300 win mag. ill probably go with the bigger caliber, just to be on the safe side. Im going to use my rifle for hunting and for bear protection when i go camping.

7. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Agreed that the calibers you mentioned are all fine choices as is the 30-30. My preference is the .308. It's arguably the most inherently accurate round out there. Like the 30-06, it has a long and proven track record, and there is plenty of inexpensive surplus ammunition to practice with so you're not running through $30 boxes of ammo if you feel like making a trip to the range.

8. ItsmeShane

ItsmeShane New Member

i compared prices of a box of Remington 30-06 shells, and a box of 300 win mag shells. both boxes had 20 rounds and were the same price. $19.99.

9. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Why don't you check out the 7mm08? It's wickedly accurate, fairly flat trajectory, performs way out of proportion compared to it's size, and very easy on the shoulder. IMO it's arguably the best all-round whitetail cartridge ever designed. My daughter got 2 deer her 1st year with a 7mm08 at the age of 12.

10. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I would suggest shooting a 300 mag before buying one,there is nothing in North America that a 30-06 cannot handle. I personally like a 7mm08,308 and a 243 for deer sized game.

11. montveil

montveil New Member

Remington makes reduced loads that have the sane trajectory as the full loads. They just use a lighter bullet.
    The 308 with these loads will give you all the performance you will need for deer

12. Caliche

Caliche New Member

I would tend to agree with both of these posts. 243 and 7mm08 are two of my favorite rounds for deer sized game and smaller. I have never personally used a 308, but I hear good things.

A 300 win mag was not designed for deer. That is way, way over gunning for deer sized game. I also tend to stay away from any of the magnum or short magnum/super short magnum rounds, so I may be biased. All comments are simply IMHO, to each their own.

13. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

25-06?

how about one of these? no kick ,shoots flat if you need more than 100 yds. i ahve a Tikka 25-06 that is super accurate and a Rem 700 in a 308 that is also mucho accurate, i have taken deer with a marlin 44 mag also,its a great caliber for around 100 yrds or less IMO, have fun choosing,no matter what you get,gun shopping is almost always fun:)

14. DKA

DKA New Member

Since we do not know what recoil scale you are own. Get some of your friends to let you shoot their rifles to get some idea of the amount of recoil from each. Bought my grandson a 7MM 08 and have one for myself, very recoil friendly and ours is in Remington 700 SPS, comes with a good recoil pad.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am with glocks4life. The 25-06 is lower in recoil tham most of the one talked about. You can now shoot varmints, predators and deer with it. It is a great overall caliber that gets less and less thought because the 6.5 and 7mm are the rage today. Also the 260 remington will kill any deer in Nort America as will the 280 rem. there are just so many to shoose from. If it were me and I was choosing I would go with a 25-06 ammo is there and if you reload that cartridge lends itself to being stuffed with bullets ranging from 60gr to 120gr. You stuff a 60gr or 75gr sierra varminter bullet in a 25-06 case and load that puppy up and you have one highly accurate and smokin fast varmint zapper. Slap a 120gr in it and you got a deer slaying machine that will make them DRT out past where you can shoot.

16. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

I'm going to try to take my first deer in 10 years with one of my M1As. I have several commercial rifles including a couple of 30-06s, but since my son got me back into shooting and joining a range, i have acquired three M1As. The M14 was always my favorite and was the rifle I was originally issued years ago by Uncle S and i have always wanted one.
    I have never hunted with the .308, but it is a very close runner up to the '06 and should be perfectly adequate for anything I will find in Georgia.
    I handload for all my rifles but will be using the Nosler Ballistic Tip in 168 grains for hunting in the M1A.
    I may also hunt some with one of my M1 Garands and then I will be right back to .30-06 the best all around do everythng get everything rifle cartridge ever invented.
    My goal is to take at least one more deer and with a military rifle.