Deer rifle for the girlfriend.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Winchester94, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Ny girlfriend is wanting to start hunting with me. She's 5' tall, 95lbs, and kind of recoil sensitive. She's shot a .30-30 but has never shot a scoped high powered rifle. What would be a gun/caliber combo that'd easy on the recoil for her?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i would recommend checking something out in one of the youth series of rifles, due to her stature. they have shorter LOP's that should fit her much better than an adult model.

calibers, i would check out the 243, the 7mm-08, the 260, or even the 308. i am sure there are others that might work just as well.

3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Remington model 7 youth in 243 or a savage model 11 lady hunter in 243, axis xp youth. Probably a few others out there designed for smaller people. My girls hunted with a old 788 in 308 with remmy reduce charge loads and I cut almost 2" off the stock and added a 1" thick limber saver recoil pad. My youngest is still some years later only 5-1 and 115lbs of girly girl.

30-30 lever actions if thats what she shot can recoil harder than many 308 based cartridges in a good bolt stock.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Another Vote For The .243 Winchester !..................Make of rifle is up to you, I suggest a Savage !

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Axxe55

Marlin offers a youth model XS7 in 243, 7mm-08 and 308.

Savage makes a youth model Axis in various calibers.

Remington offers a few different models in a youth sized rifle.

these are just some i can think of offhand. i am sure there are plenty of others.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would avoid a price point rifle if you can afford it. Savage makes a lot of youth 110/111 rifles with a decent wood stock. Any capable gunsmith can fit the rifle to her. My neighbors wife has a 25/06 that has been fitted. It has a plexiglass spacer she can take out for cold weather. She really enjoys shooting that rifle.

8. Axxe55

hmmmm.......have you ever shot a Marlin X7 series or a Savage Axis?

i have three Marlin X7's in various calibers that will shoot and hold their own against rifles costing twice or even three times as much. i have shot several of the Savage Axis rifles in various calibers, and they too will hold their own with rifles costing way much more.

until you have shot or owned one, you might reserve those comments.

9. MisterMcCool

95 pound girlfriend makes me think this is a very young couple who probably can't spend too much.

10. Axxe55

i was thinking the same thing. IIRC Win94 is still a young guy.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So yer saying 117 lbs is super old then? :rolleyes:

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Weatherby Synthetic Vanguards also come in youth combs

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

LOL! That is an odd way to interpret that comment.:p

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For someone of her small stature, I would look at the youth rifles or have one fit. A shorter barrel helps too. My wife had a 19" 243 with a shortened stock. It was very easy for her to carry and shoot. It was the most accurate rifles I have shot when I was setting it up for her and testing hand loads. If you want a heavier caliber, the 257 Roberts and the 250-3000/250 Savage are great old cartridges. The 7mm08 is gaining a good following. Quite a few companies are offering youth models now including Ruger and their American Compact.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/models.html

15. MisterMcCool

Ooh. I made it off your ignore list. ;)

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are hunting, and what you are hunting, the .30-30 isn't a bad choice. If a flatter shooting gun is needed to get longer shots, then the .243, 7-08, 7mm Mauser, and 6.5 Mauser come to mind. A good used rifle in any of those calibers would be good starter rifles, that you wouldn't have to sink a lot of money in if it turned out she didn't like hunting after all.

17. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Make she she holds them. My wife is the same size. She can only really use the youth models well. Then, you run into lighter weight rifles which will increase felt recoil. Add limb saver.

Only centerfire my wife has shot is my AR. She handled that very well.

.243 or 7mm-08 are said to be light recoil. I would stay away from any caliber that is a long action or says "magnum."

Good luck.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Probably saying that the typical "freshman 15" pounds haven't been added on yet. Or is that "freshman 40"? :p

19. Axxe55

another good caliber for consideration is the 6.5x55mm Swede. very good ballistics and recoil is very gentle. i did some work on one for a friends wife a couple of years ago, and she was a smaller framed lady and did quite well with that rifle.

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I was just about to thank Axxe for PMing me both these posts :p