Deer hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, May 1, 2012.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

I have two questions first one can a .223 rifle kill a deer the second question if not what is a good rifle to kill deer a cheap rifle

2. JTEX

JTEX New Member

IMO yes it can, but it must be an accurate hit. My sister n law shot her 1st deer last yr with a 223. Ran about 50 yds and fell over dead but it was a very good shot.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

.223 should work but you may have a long hike for recovery. I would suggest something with a bit more mass.
    I would imagine a nagant would work well and you can pick them up for under $150 getting a scope on it can be an issue though.
    I'm sure someone from a state where you can use a rifle will chime in with better input.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

As the others have stated! Yes a 223/5.56 will kill a deer! However being an avid deer, pig and coyote hunter I would not recommend a 223/5.56 for deer hunting. The smallest caliber I would even consider for deer would be a 243 Winchester. But better yet is the 308 or 270 Cal. would be excellent choices. You could also use lighter bullets in them for them to varmint hunt. But both would make excellent deer rifle calibers and there are rifles that are very good and reasonably priced. Like the Mossberg, Marlin Savage, Howa, and other good bolt action rifles. Of course if you hunt thick woods country the Lever Action 30-30 rifles are good for deer. I prefer the Marlin 336 Models for this since they are easy to mount scope mounts and a scope on. But the 30-30 is not the best for open country and longer shots.
    Also do not forget to look at top rated used rifles. Like Remington, Winchester and others! The reason most buy a hunting rifle with good intentions and dreams of going hunting. They sight the rifle in and shoot a few rounds and the rifle sets in a safe year after year! And they are a great deal regarding price! They technically are still used! Good luck on your selection.:)

5. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Kinda sucks living in a state where you cant deer hunt with rifles doesnt it?

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yes it does. I would love to hit the field with many of my modern options. Lucky for me my hawken is legal so atleast I have that.

7. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

lol nice. i keep it old school with my old rem single shot 20ga

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

A .223 will kill one but as other people have said you may want something a lil bigger like a .243 I am a .270 person myself...New England makes some cheap single shot rifles that shoot damn good you should be able to pick one up for aroused $175

9. akers06

akers06 New Member

A .223 will kill one but as other people have said you may want something a lil bigger like a .243 I am a .270 person myself...New England makes some cheap single shot rifles that shoot damn good you should be able to pick one up for around $175

10. michael345

michael345 New Member

IMO .223 on deer is unethical it usually will get the job done but you better be damn sure you have a good shot on it. I recommend the marlin 336 30-30 or .35. They are classic deer rifles and I havent ever heard of any failures in the field. Just saw one on hyatt gun store for under 500 with a scope and sling.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes a 223 can kill a deer if shot placement is observed and using the proper ammo. but IMO also, 243 is the smallest caliber i would be comfortable using for deer size game.

need to check your states game regulations as some states have a minimum size caliber that can be used legally. even a centerfire 22 caliber is illegal in many states. need to to check this first before making any decision on caliber.

check out the Marlin X7 series and the Savage Axis series of rifles if considering a new bolt action rifle for hunting. also check out the pawn shops and gun stores for good used rifles. many good decent hunting rifles can be found and many can be had for a half to a third the cost of the same rifle new. sometimes they may even have a decent scope on them.

my suggestions on caliber for deer sized game, would be these as they are going to be the most commonly available. 243 Win., 30-30, 30-06, 270 Win., 7mm Rem. Mag., or 308. any of these wil work just fine as long as you use proper ammo for the job.

12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

If you need an inexpensive but Quality gun go with a mossberg 100 ATR i have one in 30-06 it puts the bullets throught the same hole at 100 yards.

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Skip the 30-30, I go with the Marlin 336 in .35, great knock down power and accurate shooter. Especially with the new .35 Hornady ammo.

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Those .35 lever actions are cannons! Hunted with a fella that shot one, jeez that booger was loud.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yes a .223 Remington/5.56x45 NATO will kill a White-tail..........Me I use a .308 Winchester/7.62x51 NATO.

16. willshoum

willshoum New Member

deer guns.......

You can use a cannon, but if you can't hit the barn walls with it what good is it.........What is the terrain you'll be hunting is the first question. This thread has been over worked and should be in a sticky or what ever......I prefer either a 12 ga. slug or 00 buck, because the shots are within 50 yards.....:)