Deer hunting

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by noveskenuck, Dec 1, 2013.

1. noveskenuck

noveskenuck New Member

Anyone done any deer hunting or any other type of hunting with their AR-15? I have been thinking about doing it but wonder if it has the take down power.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Hunters have taken coyotes, deer, and boar with the .223

3. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Inside of 150 yards with the proper ammunition you are good for anything the size of a white tail deer and smaller. .223 Federal Fusion and Barnes VOR-TX are both recommended by the manufacturers for deer hunting and are easy to find right now. Both work great.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Someone boasted taking a whitetail at 300 yards with an AR just a couple weeks ago. He posted pictures.

5. noveskenuck

noveskenuck New Member

Thanks I've seen that ammo at the local sporting goods store. May try it out. I usually hunt with my remington 700 30-06. But would love to take one with my AR.

6. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

You can definitely do it. Better place that shot though. Smaller caliber means smaller room for error. It's simple ballistics really.

7. kuntreebouy

kuntreebouy New Member

I hunted with my keltec su16c all this season and used lake city 55 grain sp ammo and all of em dropped within 15 yrds of where they were shot, the largest was a 8 point buck at 160 lbs, Im just finishing up my AR15 so I haven't hunted with it , but I can say that the .223 rnd will kill deer efficiently, all were shot at 80 to 100 yrds, as long as you hit vitals or spine they wont get far before they buckle up

8. monteros

monteros New Member

And you typically won't blow out the opposite quarter :) like my 300 win does...

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Somebody like me isn't skilled and confident enough to say i could definitely hit the vitals of a deer outside of 100+ yds. I've never shot at a deer so i just dont know. But a larger caliber would give me a little more wiggle room just in case i was close. Also, make sure it is legal in your state.

10. noveskenuck

noveskenuck New Member

I'm very confident with my AR more than any other rifle I have.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

this ought to be a 'sticky' thread, it gets posted, hashed and re-hashed every couple of weeks.

my advice: know your limitations, a .223 is no where near as effective as the traditional hunting calibers (30-06. .270 etc) at distance. look up some ballistics charts on the web and do your own comparisons.

12. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

when i began hunting with my ar, i used factory 55gr. sp (light & fast)..............mistake......took multiple shots to bring em down on the spot. changed to reloading 62 gr. sierra sp at 2600 ffps.

dropped a dozen in their tracks at 25-200 yards each with one shot ( with .223 on deer, heavy and slow trumps light and fast)