Deer Hunting with AK 47

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by heiztdiz, Sep 19, 2012.

1. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

I'm hunting whitetail deer with my AK 47 this year up here in Maine. I'm not sure if I have any questions about this choice, I guess I'm just excited. I was able to find a 5 round clip, from my local gun shop, which is the max allowed for hunting.

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I wish I could hunt with my AKs but I have to use a shotgun W/slugs or a pistol cal. rifle to hunt deer here in Indiana. Are you limited to soft point ammo or can you use hollow point?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I was thinking "dude better get some soft point ammo". I hope it works out well for you.

4. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Here in Ohio we are not permitted to hunt deer with rifles. So all i have to say to you is have fun!

5. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

My Deer Gawd, We have states in this great union that won't allow the taking of deer with a Winchester 94?

This seems really unAmerican. It's just not right.

6. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

the AK will gut the damn deer.

7. scottmac

scottmac New Member

Yup. Out here in the flatlands of Illinois, the politicians fear the shot in Carbondale ( that's way South) will injure them in the Chicago suburb of Springfield (where they party all night, year 'round on the taxpayer or lobbyist's dime).
    "Sux to be Flat"

8. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

And why exactly is that?:rolleyes::confused:
    I've hunted with my SKS and it works fine, so your AK should be fine too.

9. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

The AK round destroys flesh, the last time I hunted with an AK-74 I hit the hog twice as he was running, the first shot gutted a hole in his belly near his front shoulder that was freaking nasty, the second shot hit him in the hindquarters, it literally blew his whole ass off, it wasted 20% meat, had to cut around the enormous wound cavities.

Here's a picture of one that was hit...well it's obvious.

[​IMG]

Here's a deer:
    [​IMG]

10. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

The round that the AK uses has about the same power of a 30-30. It's where you hit the animal that counts. If the 7.62X39MM was so powerful, that would make the 30-06 an anti-tank round as it's way more powerful than the 7.62X39. If you hit an animal with a raking shot, yes it will "zipper" it open and hitting it in the rump, you probably hit and shattered a bone which caused all the damage. I guess blasting away at a running animal can cause such issues, I never shoot and an animal unless I'm sure of a quick, humane kill. Yes that's right, in almost 40 years of hunting, I have never shot at a running animal. Walking yes, never running. The deer I shot with my SKS had no more damage than any other animal I've ever shot with way more powerful rounds.

11. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

The 74 shoots a different caliber than the 47.... The AK47 shoots the 7.62x39 which is the same as an SKS...

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I missed that he used a AK-74, thank you but that makes it even stranger for me because the 5.45 uses a 70gr bullet at 2460 FPS and 945 ft lbs of energy and the 7.62 is a 124 gr bullet at 2330 FPS and 1500 ft lbs. The 7.62 actually has more energy and all things being equal should do more damage. Could be that the bullet tumbled after hitting bone and tore up the meat. I had a 30-06 bullet do that and it ruined both shoulders of a deer. Ballistics are a fascinating thing!

13. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Good point but after what I've seen, I'll just stick to good old American calibers.

14. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

The thing about hog hunting, is it's much more exciting than most hunters like, if you don't drop the boar on the first (which hardly ever happens) he's going to try to kill you, most people go with groups of 2 or more and they ALL FIRE if it's a big boy. check out this video, thead from the highroad. Wild boar shot from 200 yards with hp Rifle but survives, and charges. Shot with Colt Combat Elite .45 APC.

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658[/ame]

After re-watching, he's not even that big, he's just a pest but he'd still tear your damn leg off.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  15. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Did the Hp rifle blow his leg to pieces? Is that why it's hanging like that? If so no wonder it charged, usually if you get a good shot on em they will drop in their tracks although that was a biggun but still looked kinda inhumane.

16. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I agree but look at how many rounds it sucked up, Texas has 2-4 million tearing all kinds of property and agricultural up and one female births in the hundreds, all year, can't be poisoned, they are like rats with sharp antlers and the muscle mass of a hippo.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've never hunted Hogs but would love too. From what I understand they are a an invasive and exceptionally destructive species that needs eradication more than management.

While I'm for striving to achieve humane kills on game animals, nuisance critters that are both aggressive and dangerous warrent no such consideration.

Tack

18. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Oh I know, I live in Florida so we have em also but not as bad as Texas. They are some beastly animals no doubt about that and not that I really care about em but seeing it squirm in pain kinda hurts(probably cause I'm thinking of cute lil potbelly pigs) but all the while I couldn't take my eyes off it lololol. I've also seen a video or two where they are dropped with a .40 cal handgun from 30 yards in 1 shot though so I could just imagine a Hp rifle. Ever watch the thermal hog hunts? Looks ridiculously awesome

19. gladesbassin

gladesbassin New Member

Not trying to thread jack though...I apologize back to the deer hunt with an ak-47 or was is 74? Lol

20. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Yea, my bad.