Deer hunting with a sks

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by xxbrooksxx, Aug 28, 2012.

1. xxbrooksxx

xxbrooksxx New Member

I'm wanting to use my sks this year for deer hunting some. I'll probably change the stock on it has anyone used theirs to hunt with.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

as long as you can keep the hits inside a 6 inch target at 100yrds im sure the round is very capable of making a good kill. just keep it inside 100 and yo should be fine.. make sure your practicing before season and check local laws to make sure its legal.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo...

The 7.62 x 39 is a .30 cal round so that's legal and I know of no jurisdiction that bans hunting witha semi auto HOWEVER most do limit capacity to 5 rounds so get the Midway replacement mag and you be fine but I'd still consult your local big game guide booklet.

Tack

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Check YOUR state game laws. PA does NOT permit semi auto rifles for deer. SOME states limit magazine capacity for rifles (Virginia does NOT)

You should NOT use miltary FMJ- find some decent civilian soft point ammo.

The distance at which you can hold ALL your shots on a 5 inch paper plate USING THE POSITION YOU USE WHEN HUNTING is your max range.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You can also put a wood or foam filler that fits inside the spring that makes it 5 round legal. W/ a none modified check ATF laws. If it can use a 5 round, it can use a 30 round which will cause bigger issues. The simple fix is a filler for the mag well.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

sxx,

Not the greatest caliber for deer hunting. And as some have stated State Laws also govern the rifle regarding capacity and etc. In addition a lot of states have laws concerning ammunition. Like no full metal jackets for example here in Tennessee! It obviously will work but not the best choice in calibers. We tested some 762X39s in Texas last year and had a lot of deer run some distance before dropping. Or multiple shots. And yes they were good hits that with a 243, 308, 30-06 and others would have dropped them DRT!

8. xxbrooksxx

xxbrooksxx New Member

I live in GA. so I'm not 100% on the laws with using a semi auto hunting but I'd kinda like to try it atleast once.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Yeah but any round can fail from time to times. I took a spike on the last night of regular season about 8 years ago with a .243 at no mor than about 40 yards.

Damn thing surprised me but I managed to get of a good shot to the vitals broadside as he spun to take off.

That deer ran about 150 years before going down and after skinning the deer I was amazed to find the round never penetrated the rib cage! :eek:

It had hit the very back of the right front leg muscle taking out a chunk the size of a quarter and left a perfect .243 cal side profile indent on one the ribs.

The inside of the rib cage was perfectly smooth and untouched!

To this day I'm still convinced that little bastard died of freight!

Tack

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The round is basically a 30-30. The velocity of a 308 at 400 yards is about the same as the Sks at 100. It sure seems like it would work but I've never tried it.

11. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

For gods sake just buy a deer rifle! Use the right tool for the job.

sks =cheap battle rifle designed to kill people at a 100 yards

modern deer rifle= In the right hands can cleanly take game out to 300 yards and more.

Dont get me wrong I'm not bad mouthing the sks I love old battle rifles also. I have four 8mm mausers that I would take hunting anytime but I reload for them and have replaced the triggers on them and I can shoot a three inch group at a hundred yard with them. For short distance brush guns they are great but if I want to cleanly kill something at a greater distance I'm going to us a modern day scoped rifle. Again folks dont think im bashing the sks i just believe in the right tool for the job.

12. me762

me762 New Member

OK your not bad mouthing the sks but my isn't an sks the right tool for the job? If your shots aren't out past 200 yards an sks is just fine at taking game. The op may not be able to afford another rifle and if long range accuracy isn't required where he lives that more power to em. I would put some kind of optic on it but that's just my eyes not being so good. The caliber is just fine at taking beer sized game but in would suggest using higher quality ammo than Russian stuff

13. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

There are no magazine capacity limits for deer hunting in GA.
    You can use a machine gun if you want, just no silencers. :confused:

You must use expanding ammo, no FMJ. GA Arms sells 7.62x39 ballistic tips, those would work & feed fine.

I usually hunt creek bottoms where there are hardwoods. 50 yards is a long shot in most of those set ups.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ive shot quite a few deer. the only one ive ever seen come remotely close to DRT was my last one. ran about 30 yards.

i have one story.. using my .54 muzzleloader. shot a spike broadside at about 20 yards. he took off out of sight.. waited for my uncle to come so about 30 min go by.. started tracking. went for about an 40 min and 350yards.. we came up on him still standing!! WTF. i know i hit him. had a great blood trail.. went back to the house. ate some food went back out. found him ten more yards from where we saw him. after inspection of the insides we found one lung with a hole. the bottom of the heart with a hole.. and the other lung was almost not existant.. few parts n pieces and a ton of blood.. still have no idea how he went so far with such a devastaing shot.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I like SKSs, but I wouldn't mod my Russian with a 5 round mag over

a deer hunt. Just use a Mosin M44. Don't forget the soft tips.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It probably died of old age if it ran for 150 years.:D

17. orangello

orangello New Member

18. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

Pretty sure someone makes a 7.62x39 specifically for deer.

19. orangello

orangello New Member

That would be challenging! Deer that shoot back; i can only imagine the trigger setup.

;)