deer ammo

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by collier281, Oct 15, 2014.

1. collier281

collier281 New Member

i have a browning A-5 1950's model a-1 condition with a 30" full choke barrel
    what type of slugs would use for deer hunting
    thank you
    bill

2. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

you don't want to run slugs through a full choke barrel! slugs will dammage the barrel. you want an improved cylinder or a modified choke. if a dime will not fit in the muzzle then you don't want to use slugs in a 12 ga.
    that gun was designed for ducks quail and dove hunting not deer hunting

3. collier281

collier281 New Member

thanks for the info, it is great to know this
    thanks again

4. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Modern rifled slugs will be fine through your barrel most are slightly undersized.

5. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

well there you have it, one guy says don't do it and the other says its fine so there goes the concensus:D
    so use your'e own judgement: therefore ...
    the Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 1 oz Deep Penetrator TruBall Hollow Point Rifled Slug. will get the job done for sure

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

People have been shooting slugs through full choke guns for 75 years or more. Don't shoot those new-fangled sabot slugs but the standard ones will be fine.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Total myth. The barrel is steel, the slug is lead, which is softer than steel. The slug will deform, not the steel of the choke. The only thing this may affect is your accuracy.

buy a few packs (one to two small boxes of five each per brand) and hit the range with your Browning. See which ones perform best accuracy wise, and stick with them. Keep in mind that a good performer will give you a group about the size of a pie plate at 30 to 50 yards, and POA will likely not match up with POI. Best of luck.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Collier,

First of all yes you can shoot slugs through a full choke barrel. Although if I had a good quality full choke gun I would not. One reason is that the full choke may not be as accurate as the open choke barrels. Like the improved which I have always used regarding a smooth bore shotgun. Also if the barrel has a removable choke or adjustable I would not shoot it in the full setting. Remington Foster slugs seem to run somewhat erratic on tolerance and also are somewhat oversized. So if you do choose to shoot slugs out of this good old relic shotgun you might want to get several types to see which shoots best. Foster, Brenecki, Sabot slugs and so forth! How about some pictures of your relic?

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You can shoot any rifled slug in your Browning. The fins on a rifled slug will collapse when they pass through your full choke. The trade off will be a loss of accuracy. it is very seldom a deformed projectile flies straight.

Honestly, I would look for a cheap rifle or shotgun with a slug barrel. Savage has rebates on all their rifles including the axis. www.gunwatcher.com is a handy tool for finding used guns.

11. jonarnold

jonarnold New Member

I have my dad's A5 that he killed a lot of deer with using 00 buck shot. I prefer 1buckshot myself.

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Well if that 1940's Auto 5 is a relic I hate to think what a lot of other stuff is. You can shoot anything but steel or other hard non toxic loads out of your gun with no damage, including sabot slugs, but the accuracy may not be at all good. Buckshot or rifled slugs are your best bet. Not only are the rifled slugs soft lead, they are also hollow. They were designed back in the says when most hunting shotguns were Full choked, and that was way before the 1940s.