Deep , I do mean...Really DEEP !

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by dango, Feb 7, 2013.

1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well , I am almost 13,000 ft. ! How do I know that and what should I expect..?
    How the hell am I gonna set up a base camp in such deep snow..?:confused:

Also BC ,Alberta Border "THE GREAT WHITE NORTH" . I'm several miles from the closest town , which would be "Dunster" ,and somewhere near the peak of MT. Robson .! I got my back-pack , me and all these WHITE TOPS JUST DIEING TO KILL ME..! :eek: I"m Polish and I got some Kool toys and know just what to expect.! ;)Altimeter with barometer along with topo maps and compass , That's how I KNOW I'm at 12,972 ft. ..! If you can't read a map and can't relate data (Correlation) ability to understand this data , buy your toys and learn (How) on familiar terrain..!

I got about 16ft. wind pack under my skis and know it could swallow me whole.!
    Cautiously with my left ski , I break the wind pack crust and stick my ski pole
    in that fracture to see by pressure if it stops ! ..:eek: If it don't , I move on and look for more stability . That means this snow is relatively new and unstable.! Or (Leeward) which I will splane near the end..! Hoo Yaa.! :D

Pay dirt , Stability..!:) I got the weight of me (+) all my gear..! 300 lbs.(+)..!
    Probing . The ski pole stops and compresses the snow at about 4 meters , just shy of 4 ft. ..! :) Home , for a while anyhow.!

So many (rules of thumb here) experience , logic , UN-common sense , I'm gonna take a break and continue tomorrow! :p

Do I have any interests yet ? Is anybody out thar..? :D

Dang , I spend more time "EDITING" my mistakes than I do writin this crap..! BAN GRAMMAR NAZIS'..!:p :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. TaurusUserPT92

TaurusUserPT92 New Member

Subscribed. I miss being able to take trips like that. Due to circumstances it'll be years before the wife lets the chains go so I can go out and trek

3. dango

(SIGH) I'm feelin ya Bro , The pain , oh the pain....!:( :)

Dango , almost unchained again ..! :D

4. dango

:DBan Grammar Nazis' Part Two-eth........! :D

COMA , course not , I'm still standin ain't I..! :confused: :D

5. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

Don't wake up any Griz dango!

6. dango

I would be the "grammar nazi" magnet , they will will come , I , shall then ,

"Rebuttal" , with some sort of stupid joke , which is my "NATURE..! :D

7. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

You used too many commas and you shouldn't have capitalized "rebuttal" or "nature".:D Don't worry, there's a guy on here that never capitalizes the first word of ANY sentence and gets away with murder. You should be fine;).

8. dango

Commas , again , I'm Still Standin Ain't I .? :p :D

Like A Fish...........! :p

9. dango

They do make day packs and such!

My wife and I have negotiated and have come to this agreement !

Don't ***** , come with me ! Well if you are having problems believing me , then you surely won't believe her either ! :D You would NOT believe where I have taken this spirited woman ! :D I would die to save her so I draw the line and she accepts and understands me totally !

She has absolute faith in me , hell of a lady ! (SIGH) :)

PS: I have driven this fair lady to Xanax at times , Sorry bout that.!:D

10. TaurusUserPT92

I could take the wife but then what's the point of going on a hike. Plus not only will I have the pack ill have the baby on the front it's a little awkward going up and down with a baby Bjorne on the front of me pack on my back plus my sidearm. We went on a six mile hike over the summer of only 1000ft and I swore I was going to topple over with the baby going down.

11. dango

DUCT TAPE with ear plugs and shooting muffs to your most basic gear list!
    Extreme care when packing INFANT..! :);)

Or a Cathartic straw to infants urethra , Hydration pack man.! :confused: :)

Just tryin ta help ..? :D

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  12. dango

Well sorry bout that..! I got lost in all the "Cosmic Crap" of the last few days and soon as I get my sanity back , I'll continue that thread ,, I was likeing it..!:):)

13. dango

A Short Thread , "Snow-Blind" !

The sun , on a clear day , is far worse with snow than on the beach. Snow , unlike the waves of water , is not moving. The reflection of sunlight is a "constant" with snow.

This is actually the burning effects of the sun's rays upon the surface of the tender eye tissues. Ooouch , really bad! Like having sand thrown in one's eyes and can't remove it ! Really uncomfortable !

All things considered , A "special" kind off sun glasses would be appropriate !
    Ones that seal on the surrounding skin of your face.

You may encounter minus forty degrees with possibly 100 MPH.winds in an extreme storm. The wind-chill would be catastrophic on all exposed tissue plus snow blind.

Many "sky-divers" would be familiar with these types of glasses .!
    Research is a "MUST"..! I'll get back to (Setting Your Base Camp) later ! :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  14. TaurusUserPT92

Is the duct tape to hold the baby or shut the wife up hahaha

15. dango

Deep , I do mean..Really Deep - Part Two !

As in the first part , We've already established the (Where) and (why).!
    Pin-pointed exact location , Probed for stability and now , "Where" to place my Shelter , or (Tent).!

Next step is to establish wind and why ?
    Windward: (Wind in your face) or"Hypothetical direction of prevailing winds.!
    The wind in your face , or the Windward is the side at which the wind is blowing upon. That would be where we want to be , yes , the wind in my face! The "packed side" ! Less snow and 9 times more stability !Once a crust is formed , by wind and sun , most of the snow is blown over the top drifting as dangerous poweder on the (Leeward)..!

Leeward winds.! This is where that rule of (UN-common sense) is applied.!
    One might think to avoid (Wind-chill Factor) , to be on the lesser side of the wind , or (Leeward)!

Common sense would get you killed.! Why ?

Snow in itself is 90% air and 10% water.!
    Density: Windward -vs- Leeward.!
    Windward: Snow hits the west face of the mountain! then settles. In time , the sun and the "constant" pressure of winds and weight of snow create a
    "denser" more compacted , heavier cubic ft.of snow than on the leeward .
    The leeward side is less dense , drifting effects , less stable and more prone
    to hazards because it lacks any pressure from the wind , "wind Forced" physics.That said ,90% more fatalities and accidents happen on the leeward
    side , including Avalanches ! This snow never achieves stability
    With each major storm and precipitation , it only grows "MORE" UN-stable until the weight of itself shifts and (UN-provoked Avalanches) occur ,(JUST DON'T) unless you have appropriate belay , (Ropes , stable anchors and other necessary gear).!
    We now have a stable foot print to temporarily "Bed down" for a night or an extended base camp , a place to play from and return to! ;)

The shelter and how to prepare this spot , my spot to exist for a while with all my "Creature Comforts" ! :)

If my tent has a foot-print of (60" wide x 102" long with a 50" over-all height I want to create a larger (Foot-Print) I call (My zone) or (Living space)! (Compactibility) with my ski pole in the first part and know it was established at 4 meters.! My tent is 50" (over-all) height , so in Essene I have no (Wind-chill) , just (Air-temp) . (the DANGO-ZONE).<--120" wide
    x 152" long x deep..!

The weight of my pack + plus me was over 300+ lbs.NEVER taking my (SKIS)
    off , I etch with my ski poles my desired "Foot print". Once my (Dango-ZONE) is etched , with the weight of all my crap , a whole lotta crap , I break the surface crust and with all weight on skis begin to compact my (DANGO-ZONE)..! :D I keep on doing little "HOPS" down upon my zone until the snow
    beneath my skis won't compress or compact anymore !
    :D HOME SWEET HOME.! ;) :D

I may have left out some details because a lot of this is (SUB-CONDITIONING)
    Straight from my head (HARD-DRIVE) to yaul ! I do some without thought at all from doing it so many times , little details may not have popped up here , but all critical data is here! Your butt depends on details so (Analise , Scrutinize every word here) and DO feel free to pirate here!
    I'm know (MESSIAH) , just another stupid flawed human so have at it..!
    Thanks for your patience here and venture on Dawgs..!

Anchors and battening down ! I have little "Stuff-sacks) sacks for everything ! Tent , sleeping bag ,just , SACKS..! :)
    I fill them with snow and bury with (para-chord) where needed! the (para-chord) attached to guy points on yur tent Silly !:)

Living in the (Dango-Zone)..Next..! :DAll gear and why , tricks that I have leaned through-out my dumb-assed life

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  16. dango

That would be for the wife , Yue Knoe.........! :D

17. dango

I think I'm gonna stop posting here for a while and get some "AIR"..!
    I do see someone's watching ,but Yue must be fallin a sleep half way through?

Didn't not mean to bore yue to a "Catatonic State". I agree , I also hate bored to death tactics . :eek: :)

18. dango

I have reached a point with this "Knowledge based thread" that: I'm one hell-a BS,er, or just MAYBE , I've done these things? Who would-a thunk ?

Even if just BS,en , there is some mighty factual crap going on here ! :p :)
    I'm done though for now , (TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT) .! :p :)PS: please chime in at anytimes , all pirates welcome..! :D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013