Dedicated Parts/Tool Boxes just for your AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Triumphman, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Are you like others I've seen, that now you have an AR Rifle, you have all your tools, cleaning equipment and other items in 1 BIG box, to tear that box apart just to find what you need on the bottom?

Or, are you like me, you've found that putting the many different Tools/Supplies/Ammo that the AR needs into various Tool/Fishing Boxes has made owning/repairing/building/shooting an AR so much easier?

I use only 1 Box for my Cleaning Supplies since I use the same Oil/Bore Cleaners with a change in size of Cleaning Rods on all my many different Calibers. Only big difference is using a Bore Guide with the AR.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I'm a process guy. All my cleaning gear is in a fishing box. Everything I need to clean any of my firearms. Assuming I'll actually clean one.....

But then again, I also have a 9mm pistol subset that travels, and a .45ACP kit that travels. oh, and one for .22 also.

I try to keep all my spare parts from builds in a cardboard box. (A true container that I can afford!).. .. With my AR Wrench. . and maybe some allen wrenches, s. . . . .

What I lack in organization, I make up in time spent looking for stuff. It's kinda win-win. After looking for a while, I often forget what I was trying to do and go mow the lawn or something.

3. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Here is my solution.

Sig 220 .45[​IMG]

AR-15
    [​IMG]

GI .45
    [​IMG]

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've got a big cardboard box, the digging around is common.:p

5. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Hey....... Are high capacity storage boxes legal in CA. ? ?
    Nice solution.

I always end up with parts that won't fit into the largest section :(

Let's hear it for the cardboard box.. . . (maybe even two of them!)

6. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Hi cap boxes ok hi cap mags not.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

One box? Not really an option.

The 'diseased' among us might have 5-10 LPK/LBKs, 3-5 spare BCGs, a few extra CHs and sights, several stripped and completed lowers waiting to build on, 100+ mags in plastic, and a couple ziplock bags full of spare parts (formerly complete LPKs that had a piece or two commandeered for one reason or another).

I really need to get organized one of these days. Fortunately, I know where to find whatever I need in short order. Having this stuff is a positive. But I'd eventually like to provide a little order for the parts/pieces I've amassed.

8. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I got a craftsman roll-away and top box combo. Got a few mechanics tools in it, but mostly AR stuff, like sweeper has, such as a torque wrench, AR wrench, etc.. I got a ROCKWELL JAWHORSE to use as a vise to hold a receiver in my Brownell's armorers block to install barrels, gas blocks, flash hiders, and buffer tubes. The rest of the space is filled with boxes of ammo.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I use the plano tackle boxes similar to the ones armsmaster270 uses. Everything about the plano tackle boxes is stackable. I use plastic pencil boxes for tools that need to be in a box by themselves.

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the brand of those boxes, John. Does anyone have brand/model information on good (or great) parts boxes? Three big junk drawers prove that I haven't found a good system yet.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

For all my small parts(springs/pins/etc) I went to WalMart and over in Hobby/Sewing area, I found a plastic, divided container that has cylinder tubes that screw into each other and I've got all the same parts in each separate container.

For my larger components I have a dedicated Stanley 16" Tool Box where I keep Armor Tools/Punches/Hex Wrenches(scope/ring mounts)/ear plugs/eye protector/and other various AR only equipment for build/repair.

For my Ammo needs, which I'm starting to stockpile, some to keep at home safe, and what I take to Range is another Stanley 16" Tool Box with various Manufacturer's Ammo that I can grab and run if need be that will hold around 2000 rounds. The type of Stanley Tool Boxes I choose is one that is "weather tight" with an O-Ring in lid, and steel locking mechanisms.

As time has come around, I'm now seeing a need to get another Tool Box just for the larger AR components like Hand Guards, Buffer Tubes/Springs/etc that I've changed on the AR over time for better fit and shooting needs.

It's a never ending process as anybody with an AR knows all too well. I'm not one of those who sells off parts. I just accumulate parts here/there for the next build. Good thing too, as last AR I built, it didn't have all the small parts in the parts bags.

12. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have a Plano for my range tool kit. Good to keep stuff for a quick fix on something.