Firearms Talk banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Administrator
26,565 Posts
North central Kansas- WW2. Hemp rope was a vital war material- and they could not get it from the Pacific Islands. They started growing hemp there in KS. Today you can find it growing wild along fence lines, and the sides of the road. Known locally as "ditch weed" it IS feral cannabis- but the THC content is so low, you would have to smoke a 50 lb doobie to get a buzz from it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
For years the annual " pot choppers " flew and found huge patches of weed. Sent in the ground boys to kill the evil weeds.

Took years for them to figure out the 8 ft high stuff they were cutting was hemp plants growing wild in what used to be fields growing hemp for rope during ww2
Used to hold in against laughing hearing the troopers talk about getting high burning the rope plants lol.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
True if you only decriminalise pot.
However if we abolishrd the DEA and decriminalised all drugs we could shut down a third of the prisions in the nation after emptying out prisioners in on drug charges only.
And kill the trillion dollar black market the gov created with its drug bans also.
Anytime gov bans anything they increase the use of it and create lucrative criminal , violent groups intent on profiting from thosr bans that gov hasnt a prayer of slowing down much less stopping. Never failed on every ban they have done.
Interesting you think that. Again, I have only Arizona data, but it certainly doesn't support what you say...please read the link.
Arizona total prison population as of last month - 35,954
Total in prison at this time for drug POSSESSION, all illegal drugs, no matter what type - 2,211. That's 6.1% of the total population. Now if you want to let out drug DEALERS, the ones who sell death to our kids, well, aside from how I would personally be vehemently opposed to this, THAT population is 4,139. So if you throw in the people CONVICTED of both doing drugs and the ones DEALING drugs, (your table is persons ARRESTED, not CONVICTED, massive difference if you know anything about the criminal justice system and how many charges are dropped, dismissed, pled away, or reduced), and the total is 6,350. That percentage of the total inmates in state custody is 17.6 percent. Still not a third. Not even a fifth. Again, if you want to let out DEALERS, you will have a fight on your hands from the people who know how this really works. Wanna let out the pot smokers, no problem - won't empty out more than one wing of one building on a Level 3 yard, but we could use the space anyway.
BTW, here in AZ we have steadily LOWERED the prison population over years and are actually in the process of shutting down our oldest prison complex, Florence Complex. Sometime next year Central Unit will be converted into a museum, and should be pretty cool for outsiders to tour. I worked it, and would recommend the tour when available. And we did this BEFORE any changes in drug laws. Amazing, isn't it?
While I agree that pot isn't much of a drug, and I wouldn't care too much if it was treated exactly like alcohol, which is what we are doing now, in my state, (saw an ad on a Phoenix billboard for Weed Pizza, seriously), fine. But if someone tells me let the drug DEALERS out...that isn't going to fly.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Rope was a prison industry for a very long time in Missouri. Switched to license plates and ugly office furniture.
We have a bakery, license plate factory, mattress factory, egg farm, fish farm, and wild horse stables working with BLM. We used to do security screen doors and storm windows too, back in the day. i think I might be missing one or two things we have going on - the inmate Wildland Fire Crew is very highly thought of, as well.

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
2,524 Posts
The point is that legalizing MJ will mainstream the drug to the point where everyone who does it now will think it’s ok to do whenever they please. As someone stated earlier airplane mechanics were fired for testing positive. How many short screws do you want on the wing of the airplane you will be boarding?
The funny thing here is the comparison to booze. If someone’s drunk I can figure that out in 10 seconds. If someone’s is stoned they can hide it pretty good. It takes a little time to figure out what is wrong . I stated earlier in a post that a stoner put up scaffolding and it fell on my truck. The fact is he hid between my truck and the house to smoke his bowl. I was in the basement installing a gas furnace watching him out of the window. When I saw him starting to setup the scaffolding I asked him if he would like me to move my truck . No dude is how he replied. Within 5 minutes he had managed to drop 3 sections of scaffolding onto my truck and with all the noise he still tried to quickly pull it off as it didn’t happen. Then he snickered and said I probably should have moved my truck. Just by the grace of God that guy went home with all of his teeth. Now I was working on somebody else’s dime that day and this guy had a stupidvisor on the job who explained to me how my truck was so old that it wasn’t worth fixing. That’s when I realized from the stupidvisor down the entire crew were essentially stoned. My heating job was done in about 4 days and the roofers were done after I had completed my job. In that time they managed to run over an electricians ladder , back into a plumbers truck and broke 2 of the homeowners windows.
Now I do realize that some people are not able to function at a high level and they tend to migrate to jobs that do not require intense mental concentration,however sometimes I wonder are they stupid or are they dumming themselves down with the weed. Anyway if I hire someone to do a job and they are stoned they will get the boot . I hav e had cement contractors and roofers work on my house that had coolers full of beer and they did a fine job.

Good points, especially about hiding the effects.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Interesting you think that. Again, I have only Arizona data, but it certainly doesn't support what you say...please read the link.
Arizona total prison population as of last month - 35,954
Total in prison at this time for drug POSSESSION, all illegal drugs, no matter what type - 2,211. That's 6.1% of the total population. Now if you want to let out drug DEALERS, the ones who sell death to our kids, well, aside from how I would personally be vehemently opposed to this, THAT population is 4,139. So if you throw in the people CONVICTED of both doing drugs and the ones DEALING drugs, (your table is persons ARRESTED, not CONVICTED, massive difference if you know anything about the criminal justice system and how many charges are dropped, dismissed, pled away, or reduced), and the total is 6,350. That percentage of the total inmates in state custody is 17.6 percent. Still not a third. Not even a fifth. Again, if you want to let out DEALERS, you will have a fight on your hands from the people who know how this really works. Wanna let out the pot smokers, no problem - won't empty out more than one wing of one building on a Level 3 yard, but we could use the space anyway.
BTW, here in AZ we have steadily LOWERED the prison population over years and are actually in the process of shutting down our oldest prison complex, Florence Complex. Sometime next year Central Unit will be converted into a museum, and should be pretty cool for outsiders to tour. I worked it, and would recommend the tour when available. And we did this BEFORE any changes in drug laws. Amazing, isn't it?
While I agree that pot isn't much of a drug, and I wouldn't care too much if it was treated exactly like alcohol, which is what we are doing now, in my state, (saw an ad on a Phoenix billboard for Weed Pizza, seriously), fine. But if someone tells me let the drug DEALERS out...that isn't going to fly.
Im speaking nationally not just one state.
Trust me i know how the drug trade workd and how the judicial system works.
Yep talking about dealers too. Most dealers are small time dealing to support their own habit .
Decriminalize all drugs, get gov out of it , the black market mostly dies and drug usage goes down.
The population of drug possion and dealers in most states is many times that of what your quoting for Arizona.
Plus decriminaluze drug we shut down an entire federal bureaucracy, the DEA that wastes billions of tax payer dollars a year .
And do away with the kick backs, and graft many individual LEOS indulge in.
Like gun regs, anti drug laws the DEA and " war on drugs" has been and is a spectaular failure. There is no upside to it and continuing it only perpetuates and increases drug use and trafficking. There is no sane reason to continue it.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Decriminalize all drugs, get gov out of it , the black market mostly dies and drug usage goes down ... There is no upside to it and continuing it only perpetuates and increases drug use and trafficking. There is no sane reason to continue it.
It "employs" an awful lot of people, though. (Both those in "officialdom" and others.) However much howling is done, there will be huge amounts of push-back, just based on that. From one perspective, it's probably as good a gauge as any, as to whether its erasure should be done.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Like most political things today, if one party's for it, the other's against it. Matters not whether the idea is good for the country. This one's stacking up the same. But it does draw attention away from the southern border, so it might get wings at least for awhile.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Aside from any medical or pain relief benefits (and yes, I realize there are strains of hemp lacking much of the THC, but "kill 2 birds with one stone...yes, pun intended):

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Aside from any medical or pain relief benefits (and yes, I realize there are strains of hemp lacking much of the THC, but "kill 2 birds with one stone...yes, pun intended):

I have a friend in Canada that uses a 'script with THC in it for pain and a friend in Minnesota that uses pot illegally for pain and they both say it's a life saver for them. They both have chronic pain....never goes away. So what's there to worry about with people like this that get genuine benefit (except for smoking it)? Sounds like their business to me.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Im speaking nationally not just one state.
Trust me i know how the drug trade workd and how the judicial system works.
Yep talking about dealers too. Most dealers are small time dealing to support their own habit .
Decriminalize all drugs, get gov out of it , the black market mostly dies and drug usage goes down.
The population of drug possion and dealers in most states is many times that of what your quoting for Arizona.
Plus decriminaluze drug we shut down an entire federal bureaucracy, the DEA that wastes billions of tax payer dollars a year .
And do away with the kick backs, and graft many individual LEOS indulge in.
Like gun regs, anti drug laws the DEA and " war on drugs" has been and is a spectaular failure. There is no upside to it and continuing it only perpetuates and increases drug use and trafficking. There is no sane reason to continue it.
So please post the exact numbers for the various states you are talking about. Until I see that from official sources it's the same as anything else - hot air. Here is something from the CATO Institution that says neither side has seen the benefits or detractors that were claimed to occur upon legalization. The official conclusion, (based on limited data), is there has been little effect of crime or safety up OR down. The only state to decriminalize hard drugs is Oregon and that was too recently to really see any solid evidence, but perhaps you have access to any real numbers from an actual experiment. Absent any real solid data your speculations are exactly that - speculations unsupported by any real data. I can only repeat based on hard numbers from one state, your claims don't hold up. If better info comes out supporting your claims, I'll be happy to see it - I would love to keep decreasing the prison population, but without compromising public safety. And many of the hard core dealers I have personally met have not been garden variety criminals, either, but of course, our actual population of drug dealers is, according to you, a real anomaly and lower than every other state in the Union.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
And you know that for a fact. Medical Industry link please.
anecdotal.

Watched my father in law struggling with parkinsons, not be able to eat because his shakes were so bad, and it literally stopped RIGHT NOW.

Friend with leukemia that chemo on it's own wasn't able to put it into recession, but successfully put it into remission with adding THC

Friend with brain cancer, he wasn't even able to eat, THC allowed him to eat, and lived about 3 years beyond his life expectancy.

Another relative, with PSA with a sudden spike, THC reduced his PSA numbers. Jury is still out on that one if it's actually done anything.

Yet another relative, dealing with Fibromylogia, and not stop nerve pain, THC allowing them to actually live and get sleep.

As a class 1 drug, there are not approved medical studies, partially because it's not generally patentable, partially because it's class 1

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
anecdotal.

Watched my father in law struggling with parkinsons, not be able to eat because his shakes were so bad, and it literally stopped RIGHT NOW.

Friend with leukemia that chemo on it's own wasn't able to put it into recession, but successfully put it into remission with adding THC

Friend with brain cancer, he wasn't even able to eat, THC allowed him to eat, and lived about 3 years beyond his life expectancy.

Another relative, with PSA with a sudden spike, THC reduced his PSA numbers. Jury is still out on that one if it's actually done anything.

Yet another relative, dealing with Fibromylogia, and not stop nerve pain, THC allowing them to actually live and get sleep.

As a class 1 drug, there are not approved medical studies, partially because it's not generally patentable, partially because it's class 1
That sounds familiar. Because anecdotally I can tell you for the last 6 1/2 years at the Cancer Center I take my wife to for Stage 4 Cancer many poor people we have met there had tried MJ for quite some time. Didn't cure or put any thing into remission like they read on the internet. Pain helper, for a few. But they quit taking drugs prescribed by their doctors and went the MJ route. Then came back to the doctors. Too darned late. They passed away.

You may advocate MJ all you wish to. But I have seen far too many pass because they chose that route.

·
Registered
967 Posts
So please post the exact numbers for the various states you are talking about. Until I see that from official sources it's the same as anything else - hot air. Here is something from the CATO Institution that says neither side has seen the benefits or detractors that were claimed to occur upon legalization. The official conclusion, (based on limited data), is there has been little effect of crime or safety up OR down. The only state to decriminalize hard drugs is Oregon and that was too recently to really see any solid evidence, but perhaps you have access to any real numbers from an actual experiment. Absent any real solid data your speculations are exactly that - speculations unsupported by any real data. I can only repeat based on hard numbers from one state, your claims don't hold up. If better info comes out supporting your claims, I'll be happy to see it - I would love to keep decreasing the prison population, but without compromising public safety. And many of the hard core dealers I have personally met have not been garden variety criminals, either, but of course, our actual population of drug dealers is, according to you, a real anomaly and lower than every other state in the Union.
Ok. Arizona, where you can drive all day and see,nothing but Joshua trees is representitive of the nation.
BTW i actually have been to Nothing Az several times. Not sure its even there anymore.
But onward. Lets say for brevity sake you and Cato are right about prisons.
Say we release nobody with present drug sentences.
We still kill a multi billion dollar a yr black market. And we shut down a completely corrupt and failed fed bureaucracy the DEA.
We eliminate the excuse for the bill of rights violating.
Search with no warrants.
No knock raids
Civil forfeiture
Militarization of police
By local and federal LE and gov.
Stop the inflow of whatever number of useless drug charge prisioners for good.
And the cherry on the cup cake get all gov out of individuals personal lives until such time as they commit an actual direct harm to another.

No upside to continuing this present farce of a " war".
And much individual liberty , regained rights and no small amount of wasted money to gain by stopping it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That sounds familiar. Because anecdotally I can tell you for the last 6 1/2 years at the Cancer Center I take my wife to for Stage 4 Cancer many poor people we have met there had tried MJ for quite some time. Didn't cure or put any thing into remission like they read on the internet. Pain helper, for a few. But they quit taking drugs prescribed by their doctors and went the MJ route. Then came back to the doctors. Too darned late. They passed away.

You may advocate MJ all you wish to. But I have seen far too many pass because they chose that route.
Been there done that though not as lucky as you.
Theres no choosing between the drugs a doc prescribes and cancer victims using MJ.
MOST pallative care drs will suggest MJ to help control chemo side effects at some point. Legal or not. Which has nothing at all to do with the oncologists or radioligists treatment plans .

Wishing your wife the very best in her battle with cancer .

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
In my wifes case the oncologists and radiologists plans were far more extreme than she chose to deal with. Cutting off one third of her face and radiation treatments that would likely cause blindness was just too much for her to bear. When the time comes for pain management she may wish to try MJ or anything else that might work. I’m not against its use for medical purposes. Im opposed to its recreational use and specifically people who would abuse it. I don’t care what someone does in their own home as long it doesn’t cause a problem for me.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
In my wifes case the oncologists and radiologists plans were far more extreme than she chose to deal with. Cutting off one third of her face and radiation treatments that would likely cause blindness was just too much for her to bear. When the time comes for pain management she may wish to try MJ or anything else that might work. I’m not against its use for medical purposes. Im opposed to its recreational use and specifically people who would abuse it. I don’t care what someone does in their own home as long it doesn’t cause a problem for me.
That situation had to be a very tough decision to make. Our prayers will be said for her.

I'm like you in that recreational use I am against. And far away too many are already abusing their MJ as is even if illegal to do so as here.. Both Union and Non-Union employers around here are having problems with employees smoking mj on the job and getting high. I already told my contractor doing new windows, doors, and siding no stoners. As of today he tells me he can't hardly find a helper that he can depend on to stay off it during the day. Now that is pretty darned bad to hear.

·
Premium Member
11,566 Posts
Not righty and Sheepy. MJ comes in different strains, and three primary sub species. Sativa, Indica, and hybrid.

The strains Sheepy mentioned are Sativa strains. Sativa works like an Up, not a down, and helps with energy, drive, and mental clarity. Smoke a bowl, Spring clean your house, then go out, mow the lawn, and fertilize it.

The feed and sit around side is an Indica trait, and properly used, you will be locked to your couch. Works good for amputees, dealing with phantom limb, as it suppresses signals in your CNS, where Sativa tends to crank them to 13, and RIP of the knob.

Hybrids are a mix of both.

That's why Sheepy would bust his ***, at work, while high, as most strains then were Sativa strains, where Indica is more prevalent now. Which leads to more couch lock.

Ajd, as I'm sitting here, waiting 26 hours in, on the pharmacy to ok some Oxycodone, inside a rehab facility, I wish I had some Indica oil right now. Because it would shut my limb up, both leftover and phantom.

This is the problem when it comes to MJ. Too many take in limited information, then assume that what they see applies in all cases, when it does not. Same thing we see with the left and guns.

I know it ain't your thing, but do some research into the subject. The majority of issues involved with MJ are because it's not legal, and where it is, they are doing some amazing things with r&d, and custom strains, to do specific things.

121 - 140 of 173 Posts