Firearms Talk banner
101 - 120 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
The point is that legalizing MJ will mainstream the drug to the point where everyone who does it now will think it’s ok to do whenever they please. As someone stated earlier airplane mechanics were fired for testing positive. How many short screws do you want on the wing of the airplane you will be boarding?
The funny thing here is the comparison to booze. If someone’s drunk I can figure that out in 10 seconds. If someone’s is stoned they can hide it pretty good. It takes a little time to figure out what is wrong . I stated earlier in a post that a stoner put up scaffolding and it fell on my truck. The fact is he hid between my truck and the house to smoke his bowl. I was in the basement installing a gas furnace watching him out of the window. When I saw him starting to setup the scaffolding I asked him if he would like me to move my truck . No dude is how he replied. Within 5 minutes he had managed to drop 3 sections of scaffolding onto my truck and with all the noise he still tried to quickly pull it off as it didn’t happen. Then he snickered and said I probably should have moved my truck. Just by the grace of God that guy went home with all of his teeth. Now I was working on somebody else’s dime that day and this guy had a stupidvisor on the job who explained to me how my truck was so old that it wasn’t worth fixing. That’s when I realized from the stupidvisor down the entire crew were essentially stoned. My heating job was done in about 4 days and the roofers were done after I had completed my job. In that time they managed to run over an electricians ladder , back into a plumbers truck and broke 2 of the homeowners windows.
Now I do realize that some people are not able to function at a high level and they tend to migrate to jobs that do not require intense mental concentration,however sometimes I wonder are they stupid or are they dumming themselves down with the weed. Anyway if I hire someone to do a job and they are stoned they will get the boot . I hav e had cement contractors and roofers work on my house that had coolers full of beer and they did a fine job.
Firing someone because they come to work for you stoned or drunk is perfectly within your right to do.

What they drink smoke chew snort etc on their own time is none of an employers business and certainly none of the govs business.

The gov created a drup problem, on purpose, then spent trillions with the excuse of fighting a " war " on drugs.
The war on drugs did nothing but create a huge federal bureaucracy, countless thousands of LE related jobs, used asxan excuse to trash the 4th Amendment until its non existent. militarize police and create to the extent the nation would tolerate it a police state.

Ill take the folks being left alone to do with themselves as they darn well please until they actually do a direct tangible harm to someone else over all the aforementioned gov trash.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Instead of making arguments against something that is no worse than alcohol, perhaps people caught drunk or high at work should, I dunno, get fired? Hold the guilty accountable. I mean, don't we make that exact same argument about firearms to the anti's? Hold the criminal accountable, don't punish everyone else.
Where have you been. Drunk or Pothead, they do get fired here. Have been for decades.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Firing someone because they come to work for you stoned or drunk is perfectly within your right to do.

What they drink smoke chew snort etc on their own time is none of an employers business and certainly none of the govs business.

The gov created a drup problem, on purpose, then spent trillions with the excuse of fighting a " war " on drugs.
The war on drugs did nothing but create a huge federal bureaucracy, countless thousands of LE related jobs, used asxan excuse to trash the 4th Amendment until its non existent. militarize police and create to the extent the nation would tolerate it a police state.

Ill take the folks being left alone to do with themselves as they darn well please until they actually do a direct tangible harm to someone else over all the aforementioned gov trash.

Don't forget, the CIA was involved. Remember Air America?

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
War on drugs is a FAILED experiment. Pot has real life medicinal benefits. Do people use it recreationally, absolutely, but so what? Regular users of pot tend to be less impactful than over users of alcohol.
And you know that for a fact. Medical Industry link please.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
One thing I always laugh at is the people who say "let out all the stoners and we'll be able to close prisons." I don't know about any other state, but Arizona legalized recreational weed Jan 1st of this year. December of 2020, prior to legal weed, we had a grand total of 91 inmates in the Arizona state system for marijuana only. That was .02% of the prison population 37,731. As of June, that number has dropped to 54.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I wonder what happens to health insurance? Would they treat it like smoking tobacco? We dont really have any longitudinal studys do we? Maybe from the UK?
No actuarials?

As far as all the other stuff you guys are talking about... if someone is impaired, they are impaired. Dont really care what it is other than it might be a predictor of expected behavior.
I mean, some people still believe that eating meat and cheese from the same animal together is a sin and could kill you, or damn you.
So, yeah, some people are gonna still believe that weed is the "Devils lettuce" and its purveyors are trying to steal your children's souls.
I guess it all comes back to individual accountablility. Funny how that happens.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Pot is documented to teduce or stop several different types of epileptic seisures . So much so that my state was forced to legalize it for the treatment of same much to the legislatures chagrin
Its proven to help in pain control, increase appetite, and mitigate other chemo related side effects. Pallative care doctors here routinely recommend smoking it or edibles even though its illegal in this state.
Do me a favor and dont ask me how i know this.
It simply does have medical benefits . Thats not even debateable any more.
I never used it, because i dont like the high it can give. I havent drank in decades either. But thats my personal choice to make. Not the nanny states to make for me.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
The illegal drug problem has never been more costly after pumping billions into fighting it. Look around. Why are cartels so busy in an open border? Why is so much being intercepted at the open border. I'd say "the war" is being lost too. Why are so many people dying from fentenyl? Why do so many adicts live in tents and make for filthy sidewalks in what is supposed to be a 1st world country. None of this was going on before "the war on drugs was declared". What are the metrics anyway? What does a win look like?

·
Registered
967 Posts
One thing I always laugh at is the people who say "let out all the stoners and we'll be able to close prisons." I don't know about any other state, but Arizona legalized recreational weed Jan 1st of this year. December of 2020, prior to legal weed, we had a grand total of 91 inmates in the Arizona state system for marijuana only. That was .02% of the prison population 37,731. As of June, that number has dropped to 54.
True if you only decriminalise pot.
However if we abolishrd the DEA and decriminalised all drugs we could shut down a third of the prisions in the nation after emptying out prisioners in on drug charges only.
And kill the trillion dollar black market the gov created with its drug bans also.
Anytime gov bans anything they increase the use of it and create lucrative criminal , violent groups intent on profiting from thosr bans that gov hasnt a prayer of slowing down much less stopping. Never failed on every ban they have done.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
True if you only decriminalise pot.
However if we abolishrd the DEA and decriminalised all drugs we could shut down a third of the prisions in the nation after emptying out prisioners in on drug charges only.
And kill the trillion dollar black market the gov created with its drug bans also.
Anytime gov bans anything they increase the use of it and create lucrative criminal , violent groups intent on profiting from thosr bans that gov hasnt a prayer of slowing down much less stopping. Never failed on every ban they have done.
Don't forget those govt. creatures that somehow manage to benefit. A congressman only makes in the $170's. Some have money when they get elected and some don't. They all do after getting elected. Where does that money come from?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Cannabis has been gaining lots of public support over the last decade. The federally illegal plant has been made legal for some type of medical or recreational use in the majority of U.S. states. Currently 33 states allow for at least some type of medical cannabis use and 11 allow for adult recreational use. The stigma around the drug has also lessened, with two thirds of Americans now supporting national legalization. Cannabis was even deemed essential in many states during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Still, despite the public support and medical use of the drug, cannabis remains federally illegal and arresting people who use still seems to be a big priority for crime enforcement. According to the recently released Uniform Crime Report from the FBI, more people were arrested for cannabis in 2019 than for all violent crimes put together.

The data from the FBI’s report revealed that police arrested 545,602 people for cannabis related crimes in 2019. That arrest rate is 9% higher than the 495,871 people arrested for violent crimes the same year. And those being arrested for cannabis aren’t just those making money from selling, growing or manufacturing the drug - they are mostly just people who use cannabis. The vast majority of these arrests (92%) were for simple possession of the drug. 500,395 of those arrested for cannabis were simply found in possession of cannabis. Even if we take out all the arrests for being involved in unregulated cannabis commerce and just focus on arrests for cannabis possession, the numbers still outpace arrests for violent crimes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Pot is documented to teduce or stop several different types of epileptic seisures . So much so that my state was forced to legalize it for the treatment of same much to the legislatures chagrin
Its proven to help in pain control, increase appetite, and mitigate other chemo related side effects. Pallative care doctors here routinely recommend smoking it or edibles even though its illegal in this state.
Do me a favor and dont ask me how i know this.
It simply does have medical benefits . Thats not even debateable any more.
I never used it, because i dont like the high it can give. I havent drank in decades either. But thats my personal choice to make. Not the nanny states to make for me.
I think the fact that doctors recognize the medical benefits, should be enough to get it off the schedule 1 drug list. Even with government suppression and lack of trials, the benefits have come to light.

Weed is not physically addictive.
Has currently excepted medical use.
Considered safe for use by many doctors.

Schedule I drugs are those that have the following characteristic according to the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA):
  • The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
  • The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical treatment use in the U.S.
  • It has a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision.
According to federal law, no prescriptions may be written for Schedule I substances, and they are not readily available for clinical use.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
^ This.

Of course, like most anything, too much can lead to issues in the person partaking of it. But then, so can cheesecake, jalapeno peppers, red meat, etc.

Hopefully the vilification and stigma will cease, and the U.S. government recognize that mere control of people isn't a good or sufficient reason to urinate on a product or the people who possess or use such items. Can still hold people liable and accountable for "miscreant" actions that threaten, harm or damage others ... same as we do with murder, robbery, poisoning others, driving while impaired, and the like. Would knock hundreds of thousands out of jails and prison, freeing up that space, and would free up all of that administrative and enforcement labor that's otherwise preoccupied with punishing such people.

It's not heroin. Never has been. Never should have been treated as though it were. Even a government flunky ought to appreciate that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That seems to be a problem here for some of us in my area. Too many tradesman are on MJ. For some of the remodeling wife and I are having done, we see guys smoking pot while they work. After a few hours they are so wacko they are screwing things up. Bad! Used short screws on the deck boards and had to drive them over 1/2 the way through the boards to get them into the main beams below. Cut overall lengths too short on a number of boards making them unusable. Sooo, they just left them unattached on one end.

NO, I do not need any pot heads working for me and the wife, period! It does effect their judgement cause I have seen this actually happen.
I have seen that too. There are some jobs that can be done stoned, like cutting the grass, painting the house, fishing guide, stuff like that. But if you need to concentrate and think about what you are doing, you should wait till after work to light up. Just because its legal, doesn't make it right to do it on the job. Just like drinking on the job in my opinion. Couple months ago the boss sent me a helper to install an up-flush toilet system. He got to the job site before me, and when I pulled up, he was sitting in his truck smoking a joint. I asked him if he noticed the home owners cameras. He said no problem, its not against the law. I replied, maybe the home owner does not want you smoking in his drive way, and before you work in his house.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I have seen that too. There are some jobs that can be done stoned, like cutting the grass, painting the house, fishing guide, stuff like that. But if you need to concentrate and think about what you are doing, you should wait till after work to light up. Just because its legal, doesn't make it right to do it on the job. Just like drinking on the job in my opinion ...
Which the hiring and firing of organizations and clients can handle, without government lifting a finger. Screw up a job or breach one's contractual or employment agreements ... then you get terminated for cause. Easy-peasy. And no governmental shenanigans occurring.

·
Administrator
26,565 Posts
Well, since Virginia has legalized possession of small amounts of weed- and permits growing up to 4 plants for your own use, companies are now advertising home grow kits.

I plan to start marketing grow lights- under the name Bud's Lite. Let's see how much the makers of Bud Light are willing to pay- since they did not copyright Bud's Lite.
🤑

If the Feds DO legalize weed, I plan to buy as many shares of Altria Corp as I can. The parent company of Phillip Morris. I can visualize the packaging of Marlboro Green already.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
I have seen that too. There are some jobs that can be done stoned, like cutting the grass, painting the house, fishing guide, stuff like that. But if you need to concentrate and think about what you are doing, you should wait till after work to light up. Just because its legal, doesn't make it right to do it on the job. Just like drinking on the job in my opinion. Couple months ago the boss sent me a helper to install an up-flush toilet system. He got to the job site before me, and when I pulled up, he was sitting in his truck smoking a joint. I asked him if he noticed the home owners cameras. He said no problem, its not against the law. I replied, maybe the home owner does not want you smoking in his drive way, and before you work in his house.
Exactly the problem I see at this time. But they do it here too often. And here recreational is still illegal to use.
I have mixed emotions about de-criminalizing it.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Best, most economical, eco-friendly way to combat illegal sales in my opinion is to encourage it's use in wildlife food plots. Pass out sacks o'seeds to farmers like they did multiflora roses. (We all know how that worked out.) Critters ( especially birds) love the stuff and it'll literally grow in sidewalk cracks. Forest fire ? Fill the hillsides with cannibas. Grow it everywhere to the point it becomes a true "weed".

Reverse psychology actually works. When it's no longer "cool", the thrill is gone. Prohibition fuels black markets and competition lowers prices. Oh well ..

Long time back I was with an absentee landowner going to shoot doves. Someone had been using his old barn to dry pot. We carried it out to the barnyard but it was a dry summer and dangerous to burn. Renter's three goats showed up, ate the whole pile while we hunted. So I know for certain it's goat food.

101 - 120 of 173 Posts