Decisions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gshunsbergerjr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. gshunsbergerjr

gshunsbergerjr New Member

I am kind of new with firearms. I am looking at getting some sort of rifle so I can go hunting with. I live in Florida so range isn't an issue. I plan to use my fiance's brothers 30-30 this year. I have been looking at Mosin Nagants, AK-47, AR-15, Savage(such as the 110 or similar) and varieties of rifles. I have also looked into building my own from parts(AK-47, AR-15 and Savages). What would be the best way to get into it? Which would be friendlier on the pocket book?
    Thank you!

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

All I can say is that the Cheapest (Price wise) would be the Mosin Nagant, and depending on what Caliber you get the 110 in it could end up costing the most to shoot. They are all very good deciscions no matter which one you get. Also please post in the introductions section if you get the chance.

3. gshunsbergerjr

What model of Mosin would be best? I was thinking of .30-06 or 7mm or something along those lines for the 110.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

At some point, you're going to have to do some of your own research, but

with the Mosins, they're Russian 5 shot bolt-action. Their ballistics,

with 150 grain FMJs, are approximate to the 30.06. Their two most

popular models are the 91-30, and the M44. The 91-30(@90$) is full-length,

and more accurate, the M44(@160$), is shorter, more of a carbine.

Cheapest ammo you can find out there, too.(440 round "spam cans" @85$)

Mosin-Nagants are the very least expensive way to go.

AK47s, in the 500$ range, are not that accurate, or hunter-friendly, with intermediate

7.62 X 39 ammo. (which is also inexpensive)

AR15s are more accurate, cost a lot more,

but are chambered generally with 5.56 (magnum .22) ammo, which may be

small, depending on what you're hunting. Any semi-auto in

Florida has to have a 5-round limit, in one way or another.

If you don't like Milsurp, Remington, Ruger, or Savage bolt-actions

may be what you want. You may want to consider buying used,

if you are on a tight budget.

Gunbroker is your friend. Join the NRA.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

If you are really looking to go cheap go with the Mosin Nagant, for 200 bucks you can get a 91/30 & enough ammo to shoot for a month, that is if you go to the range once a week & shot a 100 rds. If you are going the more modern route say a new Savage in .30-06 is your best bet. That`s my 2 cents !

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I guess the first question is what are you going to be hunting for. Predators, Deer, hogs? But an all around good choice would be the Savage 110 in what ever caliber you need for what you are going to do. There are several caliber selections that would be good for predators and yet good for deer and similar game. The name of the game as always is shot placement whether larger or smaller caliber.

7. gshunsbergerjr

I would be hunting deer and hog.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

So it's down to specific choices. If you don't like military

surplus, last time I checked standard case ammo,

like 30.06, in your inexpensive brands,

like Winchester White Box, is @ $1.32 per round.

This is probably the main reason we all like the Mosin, at @.19c per

round, bulk.

9. gshunsbergerjr

If I get a mosin, would the hex or round receiver be better? What is the difference?

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hex is older, I dont know the exact dates. If your liking the idea of a Mosin Nagant, (and it's well worth liking, I love mine) check out this site and do a little research. It's the most exhaustive amount of info I've found on this old warhorse.

7.62x54r.net

with Hex and Round, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I've been wrong on many things though...

11. gshunsbergerjr

Okay. What about ammo for it? Is the ammo still worthy to shoot in the spam cans? What is the latest I should shoot? Does it even go bad if it is sealed?

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

This stuff doesn't seem to go bad. I was told the ammo I have in my spam cans are over 40 years old. Just like food, if you buy it in a can then make sure the can is undamaged and unopened.

There is no such thing as NON corrosive surplus ammo though, and an ammonia based cleaner is said to be the best at neutralizing the corrosive nature of the deposits. I spray windex down the bore and all over the action, but I hear pee works well too.

13. gshunsbergerjr

Thank you. Are there cleaners meant to clean corrosion from the bore? I don't think I would want to use windex, especially pee.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's more technical than I claim to understand. It supposedly has something to do with sulfuric salts or something that are deposited in the bore and action from the chemical compounds found in the primer and powder of surplus ammo (on the other hand, new manufacture ammo IS non corrosive, but they cost as much as any other rifle ammo; whereas the surplus is so cheap it feels free!)

The ammonia is supposed to neutralize these "salts". There is no problem with cleaning the rifle with windex, I do it all the time, as do possibly thousands of other surplus shooters. And the pee thing? Supposedly an unconfirmed trick of old timer soviet troops when cleaning solvents were unavailable or frozen from extreme cold :)

Oh and if the bore is corroded, just try to get one that isn't, or scrub the snot out of it with regular brushes and commercial solvents like Hoppe's.
    Mine was badly corroded inside the bore, I just recently got it cleaned out semi presentably, now I need to see if it still shoots as well. Before with all the corrosion it was still shooting beer cans at 100 yards.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  15. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

It's easier than all that. Just pour very hot water down the bore and clean as usual with Hoppes #9 then run a patch of gun oil through it.

16. gshunsbergerjr

Just bought a 91/30. I get to bring it home Wednesday. Excellent bore and stock. Not sure if I want to modernize it now. Looks too good as it is.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

What I would do is keep a good one (with a bright bore and matching numbers with decent wood) in it's original condition. There are so many MN's out there that have been Frankensteined or bubbafied that they're a dime a dozen. I would find one of those to play around with and experiment on.

dteed4094, the Windex is what I've been using because other shooters say they use it and it works great. But after reading your post, I checked it out and discovered that the sprayer attachment at my kitchen sink is long enough to spray from the breech end while the muzzle is in the sink, so I will have to try this and see how it works for me.

Thanks

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There's janitorial ammonia you can get from your local hardware

store for @ 5$ a quart. Mix half a pint with a tablespoonful of dish

detergent, and half a pint of water. Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation.

Open the window, turn on a fan, don't intentionally breathe this stuff.

Needless to say, follow up with water, then Hoppes #9, run a few patches,

repeat if needed.

Don't forget to lightly oil the barrel when it's clean and dry.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  19. gshunsbergerjr

How do I remove the cosmoline from the stock, bore, and other metal parts? Still waiting for my mosin.

20. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Field strip the Mosin.

Wipe off all cosmoline with rags and Q-tips.

Dis-assemble the bolt.

Wipe off all cosmoline with rags and Q-tips...

...google, google, google.