Decisions to make

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SSGN_Doc, Mar 18, 2014.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looking at getting anther handgun. Mostly for range use. Ammo in my area is still a bit scarce for my favorites (9mm and .45). Currently renting a place and don't have all of my reloading gear set up.

.40 is pretty available all around the area and fairly reasonable in price.

.357 mag and 10mm are also pretty widely available but the prices are still pretty high.

In a .357 I was thinking about a Ruger GP100 in 4" if I can find one.

In 10mm I'd go with a Glock 20 slim frame or 4th gen.

But don't know what is go for in a .40. I looked at a Sig 229 a Glock 23 (have not liked shooting the 23 like I do my 9mm and .45 Glocks).

So looking for some opinions. It may end up being what I can find for a reasonable price, but a .40 looks like it may be easiest to feed for now.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I like revolvers, and prefer CZ's for autos. But hold them all and tell us what one you like best :)

3. SSGN_Doc

I had considered a CZ 75. Just because it is another classic design. The ones I have shot have only presented me with one dislike. The trigger shape. An odd complaint but I find it unnaturally dished. Some people complain about Glock grip angles though so I guess ergonomics still play into personal preferences. The only other thing that kept me from putting the CZ 75 on the list at this time, is that I would want the 75 to be a 9mm as the classic was designed for. At this time I'm trying to add a more available caliber. I have a lotta 9s to feed already.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Do u have a revolver?

And have you held the single action CZ?

5. SSGN_Doc

I don't currently have a center fire revolver. Traded off my old model 29, and my Ruger SP101. I do want to add a .357 back into the mix. Had decided the GP100 is about the right size and balance. Nice for taking new shooter to the range and letting them run some .38 specials through it. Nice to have ability to run some mags through it for when more energy is required.

In my area .38 is still hard to find and mag loads are running north of $30.

.40 is running right around $20 (some higher some lower in price).

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

HK USP in .40 handles the snappy round quite well! The frame is made for high pressure rounds too. I have no problems handling mine and very accurate. My other choice would be the Sig of course.

7. SSGN_Doc

There are certain things I don't like about HK. But they make nice guns. If I could find a USP sed at a reasonable price I would definitely consider it. I just don't like some of their stupid proprietary games, like a non-standard rail, $50+ mags, and a crappy attitude to individual gun owners over agencies when it comes to CS. Their plastic is pretty pricey too compared to Sig, Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc. at least Sigs polymer frames run at a significantly lower price point than their alloy frames.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most 10mm can be converted to use .40S&W with a barrel swap and mag change.

A .40S&W XDm can be converted to shoot 9mm the same way.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have shot Glocks with the lone wolf kits in them. Balance is an issue for Glock in the stock configuration. You add more weight to the top of a Glock I would rather shoot a hi point. If you are buying a conversion kit you wanted a 9mm anyway. Why not just get a 9mm? It's not like you are going to find any more $8 a box 9mm ammo.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

Doc, I found your problem.

My vote would be for the .357 over the other choices you're pondering. The GP100 is a heck of a wheel gun and I'm quite confident you will be happy with it.

But if you really are leaning towards .40 S&W because of the price of ammo and availability of it, the obvious answer is "go with what fits your hand the best."

Another to consider of course is the M&P line. That's my personal preference for polymer guns. You can get a 40/357 and get barrels/mags for 40/357/9mm. Three guns in one.

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The GP100 and G20 are both excellent options in my opinion. If they fit you well, I can't offer a bad word about either.

There are a ton of great guns in 40sw. I don't love the caliber (prefer 9mm/45acp), but I have a couple and believe it's quite useful. Plus it can be easy to expand into 357sig and perhaps 9mm. I have a lot of fun with 357sig and consider it an ideal woods option for my needs. Most of the $400+ 40sw options are somewhere between fine and excellent...Glock, Sig, S&W, FN, CZ, Springfield, Beretta, Browning, H&K, etc. I like some more than others (and so will you). But I'd tend to trust most options from the makers above if they suit your hands and demands.

Want something different yet affordable? Look into EAA Witness models. Nice finish, good trigger, CZ 75 design, and reasonably priced. Available in various calibers.

Great suggestion, great gun. Love the 75b.

And while some are technically DA/SA, all but the decocker models essentially operate as SAO guns. The Eastern European cousin of both the BHP and 1911 as far as I'm concerned.

12. SSGN_Doc

So, checking with some local dealers, 4" stainless GP100s are hard to come by at the distributors right now.

No slim frame or gen 4 model 20s around.

One dealer has a Sig 229 CPO in .40but his prices are way out of line with what I'm seeing online. His price is basically the same as brand new MSRP.

will check around this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  13. SSGN_Doc

Considering a S&W M&P in .40.

CZ is on the back burner until I want another 9mm.

Maybe I'll luck out and find a good used .357.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

M&P in .40sw is a good choice. You can get barrels in .357sig and 9mm for it. Talk about one hell of a B.O.B. gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Have you ever shot an M&P? I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed once you do.

16. pawjr74

pawjr74 New Member

I really enjoy shooting my Ruger SR40. Ruger is priced well and it's made in Arizona where I live so that's a plus for me.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  17. SSGN_Doc

I've shot the M&P 9. Liked it.

18. SSGN_Doc

Didn't like the SR trigger. I like a lot if Rugers. I was disappointed in that trigger though.

19. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you don't currently have a .357 Magnum revolver, then mix it up a bit and snag a GP-100 while the snaggins good.

The GP-100 is a sizable chunk of steel and you're gonna want the 3" barrel model if you're entertaining the idea of concealed carry and you're not the size of a small tree. The 4" and 6" models are so large and heavy that they're more service weapons than concealed carry.

The 10MM, in an equivalent length weapon, will be just as performant as the .357 Magnum, but .38 Special and .357 Magnum are as common as dirt whereas 10MM is still something of a specialty cartridge. The G20 is a light and powerful, but if obtaining 10MM ammo is a problem then it's not doing you any good. If the price and availability of ammo were the same, I'd prefer the 10MM to .357 Magnum because I can carry a lighter weapon with more cartridges.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

Then you know already what I'm saying. I'll stop about the M&Ps now.

My vote is still to keep your eye out for a good .357 Magnum, if you have access to moderately priced .38 Special ammo. I usually buy a box for right around $20.