Decisions Decisions......

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by hockeyjr1, May 29, 2012.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ok so here's the basic story.... I have a DD M4V3 upper receiver on backorder with aim surplus...
    So since I can't afford 2 ar15's I gotta part with the rock river... At first I was only gonna sell the upper from the RR but now I'm thinking of selling the whole gun and building my own lower...

Mainly cuz I'm not a huge fan of the 2 stage trigger... It's good for long range bench shooting but not any rapid fire... Or at least I have trouble with it....

My cousin will buy my gun and I can prob squeeze like 1050-1100 from him for it...

A local gun shop here in NY has stripped lowers in stock for 130 bucks... I'm not sure of all the companies but they have 1 rock river lower receiver that I'd prob get... Found a LPK on gun-broker for 50 bucks without FCG or grip which I wanted to upgrade anyways... Brownells has Upgraded spring set I want and I have still yet to pick my but-stock out or trigger...

So if u guys could help... Keep the RR complete lower I got and slap the DD upper on it? Or just build my own lower the way I want it...

Also just looking around at triggers and I can't find anything I think I like... Would like to stay under 100 bucks for the FCG and want a single stage trigger around 4lbs of pull with no creep...

All the help is appreciated guys!!! And gals!!!

Ohh and does anyone know I'd DD is really backed up with orders? If so how long? It's only been 3.5 weeks on backorder so far so I dont think it would be much longer... At least I hope :(

2. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Bcm has a bunch of uppers in stock.

Riflegear sells dd uppers rebranded under their name.

Psa has lpks with no fcg for $35.

ALG makes milspec triggers I have both of their triggers on order, should get them tommorrow.ill post a review as son as I get a chance.

3. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

JR, I've never built an AR but what part (upper or lower) needs an ffl?

4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Just the lower receiver does... It's the only part with the serial number...

5. X-mark

X-mark New Member

The last I was told from my rep at Daniel Defense is that all existing orders are being fulfilled as fast as possible and that all new orders will not be fulfilled until sometime in 2013. If your dealer has an existing order with DD, expect a little to moderate wait. If your dealer has to place a new order for you, expect a long wait. Distributors like RSR Group are completely out of stock of DD, so if they get their restock anytime soon, then you should see a good amount of availability from their dealer network.

As AgenTikki said, the ALG ACT trigger is a great single stage GI trigger, but it will not offer the pull weight you are looking for. For your pull weight, you can go with reduced power springs on the ACT or go big money and get a Wilson Combat TTU or TTU-3G trigger, or a VTAC Super V trigger.

6. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Your in buffalo right?

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Nope long island NY...y?

8. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I was told went I put it on back order that they already had orders for more in place... Really hope I don't wait till next year :(

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Just spoke to aim surplus and they have no info... But they also added a DDM4V5 LW upper too so maybe one will come in soon...

Also spoke with Daniel defense and they said they have orders on both but no ships date yet... He said it should be too much longer... I'll wait 2-3 more weeks and call back to see if they set a date...

Also they're arent any in-between FCG from the 60-250 bucks mark? Not having any other luck... That combat trigger is nice tho and maybe with the new spring set it would drop a bit in pull weight...

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Agent has a great plan dialed in for you. DD makes great stuff thats worth waiting for but BCM is good aas well.

A PSA LPK w/o FCG and an ALG (the polished version)

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

ALG ACT $65. JP Enterprises lightened trigger springs $10. 4-4.5 lb pull. You may have to lighten the hammer for positive strikes. Very easy to do.

Voila single stage $75 trigger.

12. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Probably what I will wind up doing...

Looked into the BCM uppers... They are nice but the only one I'm liking is the one with the la rue quad rail and it's pricy... Also doesn't include bcg or charging handle...

I found a DD m4 urg v4 omega x 9.0 without sights for 830.00... 2 things about this tho are it's a m4 profile barrel... And it's carbine length... I was trying to stay lightweight and with a mid length gas system... Is this really a big difference? I think the LW to the non LW upper is only 6 oz difference....

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah, about six ounces or a little less. I'd hold out for LW and midlength, and there's nothing wrong with going to BCM for this. Shop around and see what's in stock at BCM and G&R Tactical (which has free shipping on BCM). I have both DD and BCM and am happy with both.

14. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yeahh I'm just liking this price on aim surplus so much nothing I find can come closer without giving up a chromed cold hammer forged barrel and the LW..... I hope aim gets them in soon... I'll keep looking around but it seams like many places are limited stock... Stupid Obama/12-21-2012!!!!!!!

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

16. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yea I checked there too... Like that u can customize but they don't have the LW mid length system instock... Is the gov profile barrel good or bad? How does it match up to the LW on aspects?

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

govt profile just means it has relief cuts to mount a m203 grenade launcher. means nothing for a civilian rifle other than a few extra ounces over a civilian lw barrel. its not good or bad just looks kinda cool

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I've heard a lot of complaints concerning smartgunner. Id use caution before ordering.

Specificaly shipping time and lack of communication. Granted I think it was old info but troubling nonetheless.

19. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

They say on the website that they are custom hand put together guns but I still don't see how it would take that long... I had to wait 67 days for my rock river but that was for the entire weapon from order to delivery... Wish u could choose just to ship the parts unassembled to save time and a few bucks

20. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The only complaints I heard of was from people who weren't happy w/ the wait times. DD builds certain models/parts in large runs. I received mine in a month. some a couple. If you ordered an upper w/ a certain part and they had just ran out of that part it could be a couple cycles before they ran that part again. In that case your build waited until the parts to complete it were ready. They have sense build a new larger facility to meet such demands. The problem lies in the fact that demand keeps growing.