Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by crossersmith, Oct 13, 2009.

1. crossersmith

crossersmith New Member

I have about $650 and I am looking to buy a 9mm handgun. What type of handgun do you think I should get? I've looked at Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 34, CZ 75B, & the FNP-9. Any one of these stand out? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Out of those, CZ 75B hands down. :)

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

CZ75B, hands down FIRST CHOICE.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Haven't looked an XD?

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'd strongly suggest you go to a big gun store and handle as many different handguns as you can to see which fits you best. Then after you've narrowed it down somewhat, go to a range that rents those models out so you can determine which you like by actually shooting them. Not only should a pistol fit YOU, but also you should be comfortable with the controls on it if any.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

A 9mm under $650?

Polymer- Springfield XD, Glock 17/19, Ruger SR9, Sig 2022, SW M&P, FNH 9

Steel- CZ, CZ, CZ, CZ (all models)

7. WDB

WDB New Member

+1 on Bear's advice.
    Also swing by the new members thread and intoduce yourself. The more members know about your firearm expereince and expected use the more they will be able to provide you good information.

8. Panther

Panther New Member

I'm prejudice but my vote goes to the FNP9. Bought mine last year. 2K rounds and no fails what so ever.Accurate as heck and a piece of cake to field strip. I paid $430 for mine new. FN FNP 9 at Impact Guns Home $468.99 With the extra money you can get a Crimson Trace Laser

9. crossersmith

crossersmith New Member

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to look today and I'll update you on what I find.

10. crossersmith

crossersmith New Member

I went and looked and have decided to move towards a glock 19. any thoughts?

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Glock 17/19 = accurate, reliable pistol.

Great choice for duty and self defense use as it basically sets the standard for polymer framed handguns. Ultimately though you need to feel comfortable and confident with your choice. A 100% reliable pistol is useless if you cannot hit anything with it.

I personally could not get comfortable with the grip angle on the Glock and went with the Beretta 92. It's a monster in your hand, in size and weight, but I can wield it comfortably.

Good luck with your final choice, post some pics when you get it home.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you like the feel and function of the Glock 19, it won't let you down. The price is reasonable, it's ulta-reliable, and it's about as common as a pistol gets...which translates to easy and inexpensive fixes and accessories.

13. Bighead

Bighead New Member

The best all-around 9mm available considering ease-of-function, cost, durability, size, and firepower. Excellent choice IMHO.

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I disagree!!! Springfield xd!!

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I would have to agree with GoJu here on the xd,, but I will up one the XDM :eek:

16. User Name

User Name New Member

I would have voted for the G19, good choice indeed.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There will be a time and place that you will need to pistol whip someone. When that day comes, you'll be glad you have a steel framed 1911 in your hand. matt g

18. User Name

User Name New Member

This is true... As much as I love my glock, the polymer frames do make them lighter. But a steel gun will always be better for hitting somebody. I would say though that if you cannot defeat your threat without a full mag, then you are just not going to make it out anyway lol.

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Surprised on the choice, the FNP-9 would have been a far better choice over the Glock, a better choice IMO would have been the S&W M&P, I expected taking the time to handle & shoot several would have helped ..... to each there own I hope the Glock serves you well.

Attached Files: