Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Kain, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Kain

Kain Member

I've decided that I actually like shooting pistols rather much. However the two I have leave me wanting more.

The HP22a is fun to shoot, but inaccurate much over 10 yards and it feels kinda like a toy in my hands.

The Ruger is acurate but it's kinda like furnature from Ikea. Awkward, ugly and difficult to assemble.

And frankly I want something with a little more...umph. I'm thinking 9mm due to it's accuracy, relatively low cost, and wide-spread avilibility. After looking around for a bit, I found a couple I'd handle and discuss with the local purveyor of firearms goodness. I looked at the XD9, the M&P9, and the Sigma.
    The guys at the store roundly panned the Sigma saying for just a bit more coin, the M&P was a MUCH better gun. And out of the three I definitely liked the M&P the best. I really liked the 17+1 rd capicity.

Any other 9mm suggestions? How about persuasive reasons for a different caliber? Cost is somewhat importent, but not overly so. I'd like to keep it under $800. This won't be an immediate purchase, but as funds permit. I'm just doing research right now.

And for fear of lynching at the hands of some of the more *ahem* rabid supporters of such, I don't want a 1911 just yet. I handled a couple and they just felt a bit too large for my tastes. Myabe it'll be another step up in the future...but not just yet.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Too big?? 1911 too large???

Try this one:

[​IMG]

^ Colt New Agent 3" barrel, .45 ACP

[​IMG]

^ Colt Defender 3" barrel, .45 ACP

Or how about this 9 mike mike? (The only one I will own besides my P08)

[​IMG]

^ The Browning High Power

gun2MatebaModel6Unica.jpg

And then there is the Mateba Autorevolver 6 Unica 8 3/8" .454 Casull. Man Up!

3. WDB

WDB New Member

The M&P is a good choice and one I carry in 45 most of the time but do own one in 9mm as well. Don't discount Ruger they make truly fime pistols and some nice ones in 9mm Nothing like "Ikea, Awkward, ugly and difficult to assemble". I expect that statement was made due to lack of expereince with firearms. What is your intended use for the pistol (target shooting, home defense, personal carry)? Best to find a range that rents and shoot as many as possible. At your price range there are many oprions, I would suggest you spend some of that on shooting/renting several firearms and training.

Good luck and let us know what pistol you decide to purchase.

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

If you are set on getting a polymer handgun, I highly recommend the XD lineup. The 4 inch service models offer the best versatility. You can carry them concealed, and the barrel length is sufficient enough for multiple scenarios (close range/farther ranges).

Besides, they sure do look the part:

[​IMG]

5. Kain

Kain Member

Nope I have a Mk1. I was being glib, but it IS ugly.

And if you drop a 1911 down to a 3" barrel dosen't accuracy suffer?

The only Colts the gun shop had in stock were revolvers. And for that....umm, Assult Revolver? No.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well. if you have your heart set on a 9mm, why not get the one that John Browning got right- the Browning Hi-Power? Love mine. Simple, accurate, reliable. 13+1, adjustable sights, ambi-safety. And best- no tupperware. :D

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A bit, but recoil greatly increases and can make the pistol downright snappy. :eek:

If you want to stay with 9mm, the XD and the M&P are becoming the gold standard of nines. However, the Browning Hi Power that Cane posted is referred to as the "King of the nines" for a reason. I highly suggest you look at one. It is wonderful to handle & shoot.

Another pistol that I highly recommend is the CZ 75B in 9mm. It's been in use in Europe with military and police for a long time and is a very solid and dependable pistol. It's an all steel pistol and it's a good one. However, CZ also makes a few lighter alloy and polymer models. Definitely look at CZ's.

8. WDB

WDB New Member

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder:) I'll let the 1911 masters tell you about the 3" barrel. What is your intended use for the pistol? It will help members give you better advice.

Not knowing your intended use I added a pic (trying to keep up with Sgt Miller's eye candy) Top is a FNP-40 with laser sight, bottom is S&W M&P 45 with a light/laser.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've got an M&P in 9mm, and it's an OK weapon. It hits where you aim, it's comfortable and doesn't jam. I bought it to have a weapon that my girlfriend could fire as well and I didn't like it much at first, but I've warmed up to it. The trigger isn't as hard to get used to as I thought at first. It's a very practical handgun.

Browning HPs are not available in my country, otherwise I'd have bought one of those in a heartbeat. I just prefer single action semiautos.

You mentioned 1911s being too big, which did you handle? Since most of them are single stack guns, they are actually quite a bit slimmer than a double stack 9mm gun like the M&P. It's a fantastic platform, and there are some available in 9mm.

Like I always advice in these cases, try to find a range that rents the guns you're interested in and try them out. I was about to buy a Glock once, thank God I actually tried it before spending my hard earned dollars on a gun I would have grown to hate.

10. Stormbilly

Stormbilly New Member

If you're looking for a 9mm, look at the cz SP-01 (18+1 rounds:D ), or it's "little" brother the cz P-01 (or cz 75 compact). I have the P-01, and my brother has the SP-01. I cannot say enough good things about them, very accurate and reliable; and probably shoot like a gun $300 more. we got ours for less than $600 each ($579 if I remember correctly).

Might be something worth looking into. Oh, and I think the grip ergonomics on these are better than any bottom feeder I've felt outside of a 1911 platform. They fit the hand like perfection.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Depends what you plan to do with your gun. My defender is a PD carry piece. Deadly at CQB! (~4M) I use my AR for the reach out shots.

I don't mean to rub it in but here's my 17 yo daughter working my Colt Government .45 ACP.

[​IMG]

That head shot is not a set-up. She's that good!

[​IMG]

And her double tap follow-up.

Try the .45 ACP, you'll love it!

12. Kain

Kain Member

What's it for?

I guess shooting. Taking it to the range, having fun. Personal defense if it comes to that. And possibly a carry weapon when I get my permit.

I dunno, the 1911s I held just felt too big somehow. I think they were both Colts with 5" barrels. For all my size (6' 3" 260 lbs) , I have relatively small hands.

The biggest reason I'm shying away from .45 is cost of ammunition and relative difficulty finding them. I want something I can fire 100 rounds or more without crushing the wallet at least until my profficiency gets a bit higher.

I'll have to check out both the Browning and CZ next visit.

As far as renting guns, there are two local ranges. One rents primarily glocks, with one taurus revolver and a Mk III .22lr. and is a very good range, and the one I frequent. It's just a bit "low budget" as far as selection of rentals. The other rents just about anything from .22lr to ARs and AKs, but the range is down right dangerous (thug wannabe idiots who couldn't find the paper with a road map practicing their drive-by skills and NO supervision) I refuse to shoot there again. I'm gonna try another one a bit further out see what they have.

Thanks for the (informative) input, this is why I'm a member here.

13. CA357

If there are any FTF members in your neck of the woods, see if you can set up a range day. I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that I enjoy helping new shooters. Reach out a bit.

You may also want to check out other ranges in your area. There must be more.

Good luck and keep us informed.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Your budget opens all but the most expensive doors. You can get a great 9mm that meets any specific purpose for around $500. I suppose the first question is whether or not you want a ploymer gun. Answer that question, and you've cut your list in half either way.

Hard to go wrong with Springfield XD9, Ruger sr9, or almost anything from CZ. CZ has a pretty nice plastic option now in the P-07 Duty, and all their steel guns are good values.

Here's a page running off someone's take on "the best nines"...take it for whatever you think it's worth.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

+1 for the CZ's!!!!!

I like the cz75b's. :)

I'd trade my beretta 92f for one in a heartbeat, probably will. :D

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What ranges in Atlanta do you use Kain? I lived in Marietta for 5 years before moving to SE GA. I used to shoot at Wild West Traders on Austell Road in Smyrna just about every weekend and they have a good selection of rentals. Go early on the weekends though as the "young Glockers" come out in force later in the day.

As far as buying guns in the Atlanta, there is a great used market. Right now a fella I know is selling a lightly used XDM 9mm at a very good price. I know this guy personally and this will be a very nice gun - have no doubt. Here's the link to his ad on our local GA forum:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34620

(Also Kain, if you're not a member of this forum yet be sure to join up as everything you want to know about GA gun laws is here)

For stores, Adventure Outdoors has the best handgun stock in Atlanta and generally good prices as well. My favorite store though is Big Woods Goods up in Canton. The owner, Bill Miller, is a great fella and sells at great prices. He is also in the process of building a range near the store. I bought this Colt Commander NIB at Bill's store for $695 + tax - a good deal to be sure...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  17. Caliche

Caliche New Member

Other people have already thrown it out there, so I will just continue. I like the CZ I purchased recently. I did a write up in the Range Report section if you want to read it. The pistol is accurate, simple to maintain and was priced reasonably.

[​IMG]

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I bought a 75b just a few weeks back. I was on my way to pick up an SR9 and checked in with a smaller dealer just in case they had some great deal. They just happened to have a new 75b for $409. That's about $150 below typical retail, so I pounced. No regrets so far, great little gun for the money.

There are plenty of decent 9's out there, but CZ really has an impressive track record with that caliber. And with the P-07 Duty, it appears they're set on making a dent in the plastic market. If/when I go looking for a polymer gun at some point, it'll probably come down the the P-07 or an XD.

19. Kain

Kain Member

Yeah, I usually just say "Atlanta" because it's easier to find on a map. I live in Lilburn which is a suburb of ATL on the north east side. I usuallly go to mastergunman in Stone Mountain. But Bullseye in Lawrenceville is the garbage range to which I referred. The gun store I went to is David's Gun Room in Norcross. Which has been the best so far as far as sales staff being willing to talk to me and actually touch the guns. Bass Pro has more of a "look at 'em through the glass" philosophy.

I try not to travel any further than I have to, as my truck is "not street legal" and "likely to burst into flames at a moments notice" So anything on the west side would likely be passed on unless I was going specifically to buy at a good price.

20. CA357

I used to have a '74 Thunderbird just like that. :eek: