decisions decisions...

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rustypixel, Apr 1, 2014.

1. rustypixel

rustypixel New Member

Gonna have to pick just one...

Colt Defender, New Agent or Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II.

Attached Files:

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

New Agent gets my vote. But it's your money.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'd prefer the defender, only because of the traditional sights, it would make it better for range use. Carry may be it's primary use but ya still gotta shoot it.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Give the difference in sights, serious consideration. Primary use should dictate. (I like Kimber's Meprolights, made in Israel).
    Give the grip a hands-on evaluation. I avoid finger grooves if they are not perfect for me.

Get all three and avoid the dilemma of choosing.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

New agent or defender. The kimber isnt even a contender.

Ive got a new agent and its surprisingly accurate at moderate ranges and just sweet at 7 yards. I dont carry it much anymore in favor of bigger full size guns. Ever since wisconsin established that the state constitution gauruntees oc i havent needed a deep ccw gun in a big caliber. Its not a pocket gun.

6. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I wish I had to make this decision :)

My choice order would be Colt Defender, Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or New Agent.

Axxe55 likes this [​IMG] (just trying to help ya out - you are getting dangerously low on likes - remember 50,000 per person :) )

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

After reading about barrel rust amongst a few other issues with the Kimber 1911's , I would take that Colt Defender for carry use . I prefer the tradition sights myself

8. Mauserdoc

Mauserdoc New Member

My primary carry gun is one I built myself on a Para 1911 frame. Nothing pretty about the outside and looks completely bare except for the extended slide stop safety. Even has plain jane iron sights. Inside is a completely different story tho. It's for protection, nothing else. That being said, it's the New Agent that gets my vote.

9. therukh

therukh New Member

Finger Grooves

I don't like finger groves either unless they're perfect for me. I like the idea of getting all three too. ;} But I don't have that kind of money. That said, the grips could be changed on the Kimber and the Defender but that's defeating the purpose of the Kimber. I've owned and used guns with no sights for carry and I have no problem with that. They are surprisingly accurate out to 7 yards or so. Now, the decision...I think I'd go New Agent, Defender & then Kimber. Just make sure you really break them in sufficiently as 1911's sometimes need a lot of work to make them run reliably...manufacturer's claims not withstanding.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Defender. You have sight options if you ever want to swap out, and y9ou ohaven't paid for a laser, and I'm not a fan of series II Kimbers. Grips are abundant, if you don't like the Hogues on the Defender.

11. rustypixel

rustypixel New Member

Thanks for all the replies which, of course, don't help me one bit! :p
    My eyesight isn't what it used to be and whatever my choice is, (outside of the Kimber), will get a set of Crimson Trace grips with a green laser.
    The quality stories of the Kimbers do scare me a bit but there are also plenty of reviews that give it kudos. The clean look of the New Agent id appealing and I'd definitely see if I can try before I buy to see how I can handle the channel sight.
    As for getting all three... does anyone here know what a slightly aged yet perfectly good kidney is going for on the black market? :D

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ya might get about 10,000 Bhat for a kidney in Thailand.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Bingo.

Oh good. So about $300 when I was there about five years ago. No idea what the current exchange rate is and I'm too lazy to look it up.

OP, my preference order would be New Agent, Defender. Kimber will not make a list of mine until they get a better warranty.

However for you, since you say you have vision issues, I think you will be better suited with the better sights of the Defender. Just my opinion of course.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i actually came very close to buying the Colt Defender, but ended up getting the SA Loaded Micro Compact 45, which i am very pleased with, and i think they have even dropped it from the SA line-up as well.

the Colt Defender is a nice pistol. but the SA fit my hand just a bit better. the Kimber, buying it new would not even be a consideration due to their warranty period. only way i would consider the Kimber is if it was used and the price appealed to me.

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I take it JonM doesn't really like the Kimber offereing. or maybe any Kimbers.

Mine has take more abuse in the last 6 years than most peoples will see in several lifetimes.
    It holds up fine I don't clean it for months, I work with it, (like remodeling and yard work). .. I shoot it and reload it and do it all over again.

I don't know if a match barrel from stainless is the difference, but I'm good with it. .. no rust, but lots of dirt, crud, paint, sawdust, welding spatter, and even some silicone caulking.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a lot of people have an issue with the warranty period that Kimber offers. that is my biggest deterence in ever buying one new. Kimber offers some very nice looking pistols and many have very good luck with them. some have problems from the first time they shoot it.

i would only buy a Kimber used, at a price that was appealing to me, on the basis if it did have problems, it would be me fixing those problems.

17. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I would hate to choose, but if forced I would keep my Defender over my New Agent. The Kimber isn't a bad option by any means, but if it's against a Colt...

Attached Files: