Decision between .380 & .38?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by northhike, Mar 6, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

Ok....I know there are many great CC guns out there, but for me I am down to two guns:

1 - Ruger LCP
    2 - Bersa .380

Not looking for a 9mm or 40 or a 45 ACP. what are your thoughts on these two guns? I know I have to ultimatley decide for myself, but thought I would gather some outside perspective as well.

2. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You mean LCR not LCP don't you?A LCR.38+P definitly wins in stopping power over a Bersa.380,but you lose 2 or 3 rounds with the LCR.I personally would choose the LCR myself.

3. northhike

northhike New Member

Really? A .380 is the same as a .38 revolver round? Humm... And the thread title is the same as the question I am asking. :rolleyes:

4. northhike

northhike New Member

Yes....thank you I fat fingered the keys.....LCR. I am leaning the LCR way since I have a GP100 so I can shoot .38's from both. :D

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

No, the LCP and the Bersa shoot the same round, the .380acp.

He asked if you meant the LCR?

I would go with the ruger lcr .38+p. :cool:

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I love my LCR---I mean Elsie-Arrrr!
    Great carry piece, under a pound loaded. Very smooth DA trigger, feels great, shoots great.
    If you go with the LCR, I dont think you'll ever regret it.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 38 snubby that is rated +p. I also have the Bersa Thunder 380 concealed. I recently did a comparison in wet phone books just to see the difference. There was a big one. I was not shooting +p. I was shooting 125 grain jhp hornady ammo in the 38 and 90 grain jhp hand loads in the 380. I could not find factory loads for the 380 anywhere. I loaded them to the max specs in my hodgden book. I don't have a cronograph. The results were surprising. The 380 penetrated 1 1/2 inches further and expanded to about the same size. I am sure the +p would perform better. But it is not a 357 mag. Not by a long shot. I have started carrying my Bersa instead. I would rather have 9 shots with deeper penetration then 5 with less. The wound channels were very similar. A lot of power is lost because of the 2 inch barrel.

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

An outside perspective would be which ever one YOU feel the most comfortable carrying, shooting, and fits your hand the best. One has 5 shots and shoots + p ammo. The other uses 9 rounds. They are both small, close quarter defensive pistols and IMHO, which ever you choose, being very proficient in your round placement into a target would be the most critical factor of carrying both.

Just my .02 pennies worth, keep the change. ;)

Jack

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Both are good handguns. Buy the one you feel most comfortable and confident with. Unless you get into a running gun battle, capacity shouldn't really matter that much.
    It's nice to have more ammunition, but ultimately it comes down to you and how you perform with it.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got 3 bersa's in .380 2 are thunder+ 15 rounders and one is a thunder in 7 round mag version. they are very very accurate. ive tried the ruger and found it hard to control and wasnt very comfy. i think its smaller size and my larger hands has alot to do with my dislike for the ruger.

i would strongly suggest shooting any 380 first before you buy one. shouldnt be too hard to find a rental gun of that sort you can try. 380's shoot very differently from gun to gun. my 15 and 7 round being the same gun in every other respect down to the slides being interchangeable shoot differently as in felt recoil and muzzle flip.

there is no "pot metal" in the bersa's anymore than the rugers. the fit and finish is little different from one to the other.

try before you buy

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Ruger > Bersa
    38sp > .380acp

Seems easy enough to me. Now if it was LCR vs LCP, it'd be a little closer race. The Bersas are supposed to be very solid guns, but I believe they're on the heavier side for pocket pistols.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Personally I"d take a 38 over a 380 any day of the week. I owned the Bersa 380 and got rid of it soon after. It was more about the round than the weapon though.

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Personally I would rather have a 38 over a 380, it's slightly hotter. I would also take a Ruger over a Bersa any day of the week. For me it's a no brainer, Ruger LCR.

14. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

.380 is a shortened 9mm round. It is an round made to be chamber in automatics.

The .38 special is a round made for revolvers.

Generally the .380 in considered " less potent" than the .38 special, however modern ammo can bring the .380 a close second to the .38 special.

Personally I don't like the LCP because you have to have a crushing trigger finger to shoot that gun, which completely compromises accuracy. I hope you are refering to the LCR as others have posted. This is in my opinion a much better gun and easier to shoot. And dare say more accurate. Don't know anything about the Bersa. Never owned one or shot one. Whatever you choose good luck. If you have not shot them at least go and pull the trigger at the store and you will know what I am saying.

15. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Really? The Bersa frame is made from aluminum and the slide from steel, the Bersa is an outstanding little gun, well made and great value.

16. Viking

Viking Active Member

My sentiments exactly, I bought a pre Thunder model 83 .380 Bersa and the only real difference is that it's got a steel frame. The .380 round is not really up to my own stopping standards (I like weapons that have a .4 number to begin with), that being said as accurate as the Bersa is, with lots of practice, it could be a trusty ccw. One great problem is ammo availability, at least in the area I live. In the nearly one year I've owned the Bersa I have only seen ammo available three times. The first time it was one 100 round box of Remington JHP (which I bought), then a Winchester white box (didn't have the cash to get it) and just a few days ago one lonely box of Federal 50 round (too bad as I was really short on cash), the lack of availability is not good and as well the .380 ammo is spendy as compared to .38 ammo. Take all things into consideration.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I've always liked the Bersa Thunder. I really like the 30 round snail mag. I was not a big .380 fan until I bought my Sig P230 years ago. The do cycle fast and are accurate.

18. jimbobpissypants

jimbobpissypants New Member

Excellent advice.
    If you are gonna go with a .380, buy the Ruger LCP. It's a better gun than ANY Bersa. Just my opinion.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

.........which is a smidgen above a glock. ;)

20. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Now that was funny Goju. :)

My choice would be .38 Speical over .380ACP.
    Just compare both bullets side by side.