Deciding To Get My CCW

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by XsV, Jan 6, 2013.

1. XsV

XsV New Member

So now comes the decision of what to haul around. I have a G17 and a 92 but both of those might be a little heavy for everyday carry and I'm probably not gunna be able to hide the ole Ruger revolver. I thought I made up my mind and I was going to pick up an M&P (probably 9 or 40). But now I'm not sure. Any suggestions? I want above 380 caliber, I have big hands so nothing to small (a shield is too small), poly or metal, no glock, taurus, kahr, hi-point, or bersa.

Also, since I'm new to this whole CCW thing, are there any other tips or info I should know about? I'm going to get a holster from Armadillo Concealment because I'd rather not keep it in my pocket or something of that nature. But I would appreciate any and all advice or help. :D

2. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

For starters read the following thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

Concealed carry is a compromise between a gun big enough to be satisfying to shoot and a gun small enough to conceal. Pick a gun that you are comfortable shooting, willing to practice with regularly, and can shoot with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Then start looking for a suitable holster.

Finally, search around this forum (and others) because there's a LOT of discussion of CCW and related topics here. Don't believe everything you read, try it for yourself. What works for someone else doesn't necessarily work for you (no matter what that someone else posted! :D )

And welcome to the forum!

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just get a shoulder holster and you can easily conceal a .44 Magnum under a sweatshirt.

A really nice ccw gun is the SIG P239.

4. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I second the p239 as long as money is not an issue.

5. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Hell people don't notice anyways,, more than likely the ones who will ever notice did because their carrying too. I say rock your glock in the cooler months where light jackets can conceal even the big boys,, I cc a full size Usp year round, once YOU stop noticing you'll be good to go.

6. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I carry a Glock 17 everyday. It was one of my first handguns that I purchased and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Its about to get replaced for either a 1911 or a Glock 21, haven't decided yet but I carry a full size gun because thats what I can shoot better and feel more comfortable carrying. My wife carries a Jframe and is pretty accurate out to 20 yards and she feels comfortable with that.

7. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

glock 19, m&p 9 or .40 (both worthy), and a compact sig are probably your best bets. those 3 have outstanding reputations. i personally carry a shield and a sig p238 as my BUG or a quick pocket carry. good luck!

8. XsV

XsV New Member

The only problem with that is that I hate my Glock. That's why I bought my 92 in the first place. :p

So because I definitely don't have the money for a sig (which I wish I did) I think I've narrowed it down to an M&P, XD, or maybe a Ruger? Gaahhhhh I can't decide!

9. XsV

XsV New Member

By the way, pieces like the lcp, shield, subcompact XD, are all going to be waaay to small. I gotsta bigole hands. :D

10. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

haha, i understand! i would go with the m&p in a 9 or .40. i was saying i carry a shield in a 9mm but my hands are smaller. you can always find a used sig or look for the sig sp2022. i got an sp2022 for about $450 with 2 mags. definitely sigs best secret.

11. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Xsv,, I'm with you on the subcompacts my hands just feel akward holding them. I have a full sized 40 and got ccw intending to buy a "carry" gun, but after I started carrying what I had already realized that I didn't need a smaller gun, I'm not a giant dude but not tiny, 6'2 250#, I found I can appendix carry my full size 40 no problems at all, I think my biggest hangup was ME,, thinking EVERYBODY could see it,, haven't had a single issue. So I say get the ccw, then carry the 92 and see if you get comfortable with it,, if not then try a range that rents shoot the snot out of your candidate guns then decide. Couple buddies have Xd's and love them. ( wasn't gonna bag on your Block,, but I don't like em either). Good luck,, and get the ccw asap so you have the option to carry legally.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah xd or Beretta px4 or...? I'm curious as to why no Bersa. They make a high quality 9mm that is large and offers a double stack grip width for bigger handed gents such as yourself.

13. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Take a look at a CZ P07. It holds 15 rounds, they claims 16 but its 15. About 300 rounds into it you will find it has one of the smoothest triggers on the market. I carried mine till I got my M&P Compact.

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

What Bear said. Only LEOs and other CCer's know what to look for. Carrying FS can be a problem in warm weather depending how you dress. I opt for something a little smaller, less cumbersome. MHO you understand.

15. XsV

XsV New Member

Okay so collectively what I'm hearing is in most cases, carrying the bigger boys usually arn't a problem nor noticable to the average person just cruising around. But I'm suprised, no Ruger opinions? And yes I HATE my Glock but it's perfect for when buddies come shoot (and easy to clean sense I make them do it :rolleyes:). Um the Bersa comment, I don't like them because they feel weird, almost like they won't do what I tell them to do. Does that make any sense? It's kind of hard to describe but I'm sure most of you on here can appreciate or relate to that comment when it comes to handguns. And truthfully I've only shot two and they were both 380s.

Long story short, I think I'm stuck. Maybe I'll try to haul around the Beretta and see how I do, and if that doesn't work I'll opt for another pee shooter. I'd probably go with an M&P or an XD unless I find a good deal on a Sig or someone else convinces me otherwise. :D

16. YogiBear_727

YogiBear_727 New Member

I bought some concealed carry t-shirts at a gun show last year. They have a nylon pocket sewn about where a shoulder holster would hold your gun on your side, with a Velcro strap to hold your gun in place. With a jacket or loose over shirt you can conceal your Beretta, or any other full sized semi-auto or most revolvers easily. The key, I've found, is to have the shirt be just a tad on the snug side so that it hugs the gun to your body better. If the shirt is to loose, the gun tends to move around a bit and hang away from your body.... neither of which are conducive to concealed carry. Just my $0.02. I hope it helps.

17. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I'm not sure drawing down on a BG with a tshirt is gonna have quite the same intimidation factor.Unless,,,, its one of those itchy polyester blends......
    OR,,,, one of those tshirt guns they have at the circus....lmao

Jk of course. I actually have seen those, but had the same concerns, with my shouder holster my 40 still wants to sag,, I have to carry two mags on the other side just to balance it out,, and that's with the straps.

18. XsV

XsV New Member

So sorry to start another debate, but hip or shoulder? :confused:

19. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

Personal preferences:::
    I like the shoulder rig in cooler months where you cam cover with a light to heavy jacket,, just dont go in anywhere you may have to take your jacket off if you get to hot. Some wear them under a jacket and a buttoned shirt in case jacket comes off. I'm not a fan of this, cus if you need to get to your weapon you don't want to be fumbling with buttons.
    If not shoulder carrying I appendix carry, tshirts and shorts ( with a belt) and your good to go.

20. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I've gone through about 8 guns for concealed carry. I've ended up with a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. I love the grip. It's a very reliable gun. I also feel it's not too heavy, and not too small.

Then again, regardless of what anyone says you need to at least pick up the gun and hold it in your hand before making up your mind. I'd highly suggest shooting them first as well.